BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 10, 2013 4:29 pm  #641

Re: Chit-chat

kazza474 wrote:

Davina wrote:

Toothache. Vamoosh!

Yeah, that trick has never actually worked for me. Unless I say like a split second before the dentist begins whatever painful treatment he feels is required to make said pain go away. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

January 10, 2013 4:53 pm  #642

I am slightly bewitched by the little writhing icon thingy. Are you sure that isn't gals thudding and writhing around in drool? 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 10, 2013 5:32 pm  #643

I thought it was hysterically laughing!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 10, 2013 5:44 pm  #644

Davina wrote:

Well...it seems to have taken the hint...a bit. Not so bad today. I haven't actually had to take any painkillers...yet!

Oh, good. Here's hoping the lowered pain levels continue!

January 11, 2013 8:05 am  #645

Get that tooth  taken care of,  Davina.   Either that,  or  stay off the candy and sugar.   Meow!!   Just a bit of friendly  kitty-isms!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

January 11, 2013 5:25 pm  #646

I think grinding my teeth sometimes might be to blame. Not you Skitty! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 11, 2013 7:23 pm  #647

I am a massive tooth grinder!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 11, 2013 7:42 pm  #648

January 11, 2013 7:43 pm  #649

On a different train of chit-chat, we're going to a track event with the cars tomorrow. This event is at Circuit of the Americas. It'll be on both Saturday and Sunday. Circuit of the Americas is the race track that held the Formula 1 race in the US last November. It was built for that event, and will host a number of other professional events - Formula 1, MotoGP, V8 Supercars, Grand Am, etc., etc. It is a significant, new track.

We will be the first amateur, non-competitive event running there. CotA (the track) is requesting a number of things outside of our normal practices. There is a lot to get done, and a lot to get done their way, for this event. We're still getting the occasional changes to the rules, and the event starts in just over 12 hours. My partner and I are ready - our cars are prepared, our stuff packed, plans made - but it's difficult to plan for such changing rules. We'll also have unusual weather. Tomorrow is supposed to be warm and wet - around 60-70F (15-20C) - and Sunday is supposed to be rather cold (from below freezing to around 7C). At least Sunday should be dry.

Hopefully the stress and planning now will lead to a fun event, but it's difficult dealing with all the limitations this event will have.

January 11, 2013 8:31 pm  #650

Sounds fun and exciting eqiraptor. Good luck!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

January 11, 2013 9:33 pm  #651

Fun and exciting but the changing of protocols and rules so near to the event is a bit disconcerting to say the least. Have fun and I hope the weather gods are kind to you.

January 12, 2013 1:20 am  #652

Thanks guys. It seems the weather forecast for Sunday has improved... at least, the temperature is up a bit. But there's also an increase in the chance of rain. Come on, Austin, mimic Houston for a day - cold or wet. Please?

Some o the crew is already out there, setting up, checking in customers, etc. We have an almost-3-hour drive tonight to get into the area (I don't get off work until 8PM, and the track is that far away). I'll probably be mostly-AFK from 8PM (central time US) tonight to Sunday evening (maybe even Monday morning, depending on how long things run). Vroom!

January 12, 2013 10:04 pm  #653

I  like racing.   Let us know how things go/went,  equiraptor!!  
Today is one of those lazy days for me.   but there's much to do....and Already  half the day is gone.  sigh.

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

January 13, 2013 4:10 am  #654

I'm in the hotel after day 1. Overall, things are going well, the event is running smoothly, and people are being great. On a more personal note, our car blew a coolant hose press fitting in the first session, so our primary car is out for the weekend (and needs to be towed to a shop for repairs). The immediate downside is we can't run the car we have that's actually capable on track (we could track the WRX, but its brakes overheat and become useless two laps in, so it's not much good). The longer term downside is I'm still unable to ride my motorcycle, which means we were down to two vehicles. This puts us down to one. Both of us have daily commutes and at different times... and despite living in a city, public transit isn't really practical. I can't practically bicycle to work, either, due to darkness issues (it has no lights) so... uh... yeah. We'll work something out, but it sucks.

Fortunately, friends have already stepped up to help us out. One of our friends is towing the car to the shop for us, and another friend allowed me to take his GT3 (a nearly identical car) out for a session. There have been good times with good friends, and we even managed to squeeze in a visit with my parents. Tomorrow should be dryer, but colder, but still a reasonably effective day.

I also accomplished a new feat (if this were a game, I'd have a new achivement). I put the GT3 into a powerslide in 2nd gear, found myself nearing the top of the rev range in 2nd, so upshifting to  3rd and maintained the powersilde (intentionally). Normally, the drop in torque from the upshift would have killed the powerslide, but a quick shift and skill with drifting meant it kept going.

So, yaeh, a rocky day, but overall good. 

January 13, 2013 9:34 am  #655

equiraptor wrote:

I'm in the hotel after day 1. Overall, things are going well, the event is running smoothly, and people are being great. On a more personal note, our car blew a coolant hose press fitting .... (we could track the WRX, but its brakes overheat and become useless two laps in, so it's not much good).

Go Subaru! Our family has a two-Subaru driveway. My husband has a '08 Legacy GT turbo, and I drive a '10 Forester. We love Subaru. My sons and their wives enjoy attending a forest rally (I think that's what it's called) in rural Maine every year-- lots of tearing around on little dirt roads through the woods, cheering for team Subaru. They both drive Subies as well.

I hope your weekend ends up being satisfying for you and your team. It sounds exciting!

January 14, 2013 2:59 am  #656

ancientsgate wrote:

Go Subaru! Our family has a two-Subaru driveway. My husband has a '08 Legacy GT turbo, and I drive a '10 Forester. We love Subaru. My sons and their wives enjoy attending a forest rally (I think that's what it's called) in rural Maine every year-- lots of tearing around on little dirt roads through the woods, cheering for team Subaru. They both drive Subies as well.

Subaru seems to do a good job figuring out what's important for a daily. They're great cars.

ancientsgate wrote:

I hope your weekend ends up being satisfying for you and your team. It sounds exciting!

Thanks! It was a great weekend. I'm a bit disappointed our car is down, and particularly frustrated that we own 4 vehicles but are down to only ONE of them being useable tomorrow, but that's a small price to pay. Overall, it was a great weekend where I got to both help many drivers improve and have some fun rides.

January 16, 2013 4:31 pm  #657

And.... I go from rides in racing cars over the weekend to riding the bus to work! We're down to just one running vehicle between the two of us, and my boyfriend needed it to go to Dallas today. Unfortunately, public transportation here sucks. It'll take me about twice as long to get to work as it does when I take myself, and it'll take about as long as riding my bicycle, with less flexibility. But the bicycle doesn't have lights and it's dark on my way home these days, so the bicycle isn't an option. I'm charging up the kindle, though, and have my headphones for music. The bad part will be waiting in the cold for the bus - it's 5ºC, which in Houston, is cold!

January 18, 2013 11:44 pm  #658

can you take your bike on the bus?   That's an idea,  isn't it?   Out here  in CA   we got bike racks on our public buses.   Spend your money  on a bikelight--but,  it's not against the law to ride without one.   YET.  

I'm  having a proper cup of tea at the mo.   I  downloaded a logo quiz by  bubble  onto my cellphone--  it has 18  levels and I've done up to level 15.   I  had  hints....and....um,   I  used a cheat  sheet  for some of them.  Most of them  are international logos which I've not heard of.   BUT  every time I play this game my  phone gets hot.   Can  anyone explain that?   I've got 4  other apps that I downloaded but my phone doesn't get hot  when I use those,  and THOSE  are all internet connected,  too.   So,  why  does my phone get hot,  in the first place?   ARRRGGGHHH!!!    Nobody at  SPRINT   has been able to answer that question for me.  
That seems to be a very good talent that I have---  ASking questions which have absolutely  NO  answers!!  

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

January 19, 2013 12:33 am  #659

sherlockskitty wrote:

can you take your bike on the bus?   That's an idea,  isn't it?   Out here  in CA   we got bike racks on our public buses.   Spend your money  on a bikelight--but,  it's not against the law to ride without one.   YET.  

I can, but my boyfriend doesn't like me on a bicycle. I've crashed one once on my way to work - needed a trip to the ER and 9 stitches from that - and the drivers around here are idiots. I also believe lights are required at night, here. I only have to walk a few blocks for the bus, less than a mile total, so it's not all that bad. Just... slow compared with a car or motorcycle.

sherlockskitty wrote:

I'm  having a proper cup of tea at the mo.   I  downloaded a logo quiz by  bubble  onto my cellphone--  it has 18  levels and I've done up to level 15.   I  had  hints....and....um,   I  used a cheat  sheet  for some of them.  Most of them  are international logos which I've not heard of.   BUT  every time I play this game my  phone gets hot.   Can  anyone explain that?   I've got 4  other apps that I downloaded but my phone doesn't get hot  when I use those,  and THOSE  are all internet connected,  too.   So,  why  does my phone get hot,  in the first place?   ARRRGGGHHH!!!    Nobody at  SPRINT   has been able to answer that question for me.  
That seems to be a very good talent that I have---  ASking questions which have absolutely  NO  answers!!   

Yay for tea! Is there a chance the quiz is graphics intensive, or makes the processor work harder than the games that use networking? The harder the phone works (in any way, not just networknig) the hotter it'll be.I have a couple of graphics intensive games that make my phone rather hot.

January 20, 2013 1:28 pm  #660

Spent the whole weekend at this local 4th annual The Beatles Happening event. There was bands from several countries.

REVOLVER - a great band from Dundee, Scotland.
THE BEATELLES - a girl band from Liverpool. Very good players and singers and the second guitarist was so pretty.
PENNY LADIES - a all-female band from Italy. They played jazz versions of Beatles songs. Grand piano, vocals, drums and contra bass. Again, the drummer was so cute.
GLEISON TULIO & KIELLA JOVI - Duo from Brazil. The guy played guitar (Michael Hedges/Kaki King-style) and the girl played bass. She was possible the hottest bass player I've ever seen in them leather pants and hair that reached to her waist. Took a photo with them as well.

Then there was a couple of finnish bands and this guy Jay Goeppner from Chicago who had a tone in his voice quite similar to John Lennon. Great performer. He called me a brother and gave the peace sign when I asked to get a picture with him. Very nice guy.

So my weekend consisted of approx 17 hours of Beatles covers during friday and saturday. My brother put over a hundred euros on old vinyls but all I bought was a poster of Sgt.Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band that'll look nice on the wall of my new apartment.

Last edited by Dramagod (January 20, 2013 1:30 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

Board footera