BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 15, 2013 3:24 pm  #81

Re: "My Elementary Review:"

ancientsgate wrote:

I always wonder if people will change their minds about something they've disliked in the past, and if they do, why.

Happens to me nearly every time. When I really think of it, I must admit that all series I like now I haven't liked at first. Well, except Sherlock. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 15, 2013 6:31 pm  #82

Mary Me wrote:

ancientsgate wrote:

I always wonder if people will change their minds about something they've disliked in the past, and if they do, why.

Happens to me nearly every time. When I really think of it, I must admit that all series I like now I haven't liked at first. Well, except Sherlock. 

Often happens to me, too. I don't know exactly why, though. Have to think it over.
Brain-development?   I mean, I also notice it the other way round. Movies I used to love, are now like............. arrrrgh..... So when I watch them again I suddenly start thinking like "OMG, how stupid! How could I like this so much?" - because I was stupid at that time, too?

I'll give Elementary another try on thursday, too. Actually I have marked in my calendar: Wednesday, CP BBC4; thursday Elementary SAT1

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 16, 2013 11:18 am  #83

Swanpride wrote:

The bees never turned up again? But they were the one thing I liked! Because they managed to connect something typical New York (and something I always thought faszinating, I mean, the idea of keeping bees in such a big city) with something typical Sherlock.
I rather rewatch an old show I enjoyed enough to buy the DVD than watching a new show which doesn't convince me at all.

That's exactly why I keep rewatching Sherlock again and again instead of give another try to Elementary. Well, that and BC.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Valentine:  Do you know the stars, Mr Tietjens?
Christopher:  I despise astronomy.

January 16, 2013 11:28 am  #84

Swanpride wrote:

The bees never turned up again?

I have one more episode to watch to finally get current, but no, no bees anywhere, not that I've noticed anyway.

another thing which frustrated me about the pilot - even though it supposedly plays in New York, it barely felt like New York. I could have gone behind putting Sherlock in a different enviroment, but then the enviroment should be on display. The show runners should watch White Collar and take notes how to make a city an additional character in the show

Filming exterior shots is pretty expensive. Streets have to be cleared, permits acquired ahead of time, police/security presence, traffic control, possible delays because of bad weather, transportation for entire cast, crew and equipment, the whole nine yards. I imagine the pilot for Elementary was made on the cheap. Even the rooftop scene with him and Watson in the pilot was an obvious green screen setting-- the million dollar vista beyond his deck, city lights, Brooklyn Bridge, etc, was obviously placed there via green screen.

The latest eps show a bit more street scenes. A bit. Nothing elaborate, but once in a while, you do get the street flavor here and there. Once in a while they have a restaurant scene that seems to be done on location. Nothing elaborate or prolonged, for sure. Perhaps, if the good ratings continue, and the showrunners can find some money to spend, they might venture outside a bit more, if the show survives-- it's always touch and go with new American shows, many of which are here today and gone tomorrow, almost before the viewers have time to really connect.

January 16, 2013 5:32 pm  #85

Swanpride wrote:

Eh...if cable-show White Collar manages finance this stuff (even if they do it by putting obnoxious ford-advertising into the show), then CBS should be able to find a way too...plus, there are also the details. A gorgeous backdrop for the set would work wonders. In White Collar for example, you can see New York through the windows.... a lot of "on location" shots....If they do Sherlock Holmes in New York, they should sit back and think about how the character and the city would mesh....If you plug a character out of his "natural" enviroment, you better put some thought into it, especially if said enviroment is an important part of the original story.

I agree with you, but I doubt very much if anyone in charge of Elementary cares. They all live and work in LA, and as far as New York goes, who cares? Budget considerations aside (and seeing the city through the windows of a set, all that requires is a green screen, after all), someone first and foremost has to give a rip.

I can't speak about White Collar, since I've never seen the show, but I do know the kind of local flavor you're talking about, just from watching all the various incarnations of Law&Order over the years. And now the newer show Blue Bloods also has tons of NY scenes and flavor, both interior and exterior. Heck, even Celebrity Apprentice features NY in all its glory, from street level all the way up to breath-taking helicopter footage.

But anyway, it makes sense to me that each show undoubtedly has its own budget constraints as well as its own set of sensibilities about how to prioritize not only the spending but the creative decisions that are made daily. I've never been involved in anything like that, so can't speak from personal experience, but I am sure that each exec prod and his team pretty much get to spend any available dollars on their show in the way(s) that seem fit to them, and that has got to differ from show to show.

January 16, 2013 7:16 pm  #86

Swanpride wrote:

Eh...if cable-show White Collar manages finance this stuff (even if they do it by putting obnoxious ford-advertising into the show), then CBS should be able to find a way too...plus, there are also the details. A gorgeous backdrop for the set would work wonders. In White Collar for example, you can see New York through the windows of the FBI office, and Neal's apartment has a gorgeous view on the Crysler, and you normally get to see both as soon as they film on those sets, even if it is just a glimpse. And naturally they do a lot of "on location" shots....to an extend that people started to make "White Collar tours" when they visit New York.
BBC manages with London just fine too - the starting sequence allready screams "London".
But the main point is: If they do Sherlock Holmes in New York, they should sit back and think about how the character and the city would mesh...the bees were a good idea, but what is with everything else? Would he take caps, like bbc-sherlock does in London? Or would he knew the U-bahn system by heart, including the times when the lines arrive? Would he like the central park? Perhaps he would like the broadway, as some sort of modernized version of Sherlock Holmes love for classic music.
If you plug a character out of his "natural" enviroment, you better put some thought into it, especially if said enviroment is an important part of the original story.

I know exactly what you mean about location. I'm waiting to check out White Collar, but favorite cable show Suits, shot its pilot in New York and the show is sussposed to take place there. But, they moved filming to the great white north of Canada, because it's cheaper. There are a lot of stock shots of the city, but when thwy;re walking around town, you can tell its not New York. Don't get me wrong, Toronto is a beautiful city, but it's just not the same.
And, with a show like Elementary, the city could and should play a pivital role in Sherlock's adjustment to working and living in such a place. But, budget often rules and shows are often cheap with things like that, so they usually film wherever it's cheaper.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

January 16, 2013 7:27 pm  #87

harleyq wrote:

.....Suits, shot its pilot in New York and the show is sussposed to take place there. But, they moved filming to the great white north of Canada, because it's cheaper. There are a lot of stock shots of the city, but when they're walking around town, you can tell its not New York. Don't get me wrong, Toronto is a beautiful city, but it's just not the same. .... But, budget often rules and shows are often cheap with things like that, so they usually film wherever it's cheaper.

Exactly. The almighty dollar rules the day, in that business as in any other.

I have fannish friends who easily do something they call "handwave" stuff. They're able to shrug one shoulder and say "eh!" when things are less than they should be, or when continuity problems, character development issues, or things like too many stock exterior or interior shots start rearing their ugly heads. I, unfortunately, have a real hard time hand-waving. I wish I could do it more. If I could, it'd boost my enjoyment of a lot of the episodic TV that's currently available.

January 16, 2013 11:15 pm  #88

Swanpride wrote:

..."Elementary" is another matter than "Suits", because they deal with another theme and another character. Sherlock Holmes is the guy who has his own people on the look-out, the guy who knows the streets of London by heart. And in a good adaptiation, no matter if it is set in London or not, this should be reflected.

I don't know that TPTB at Elementary have a true working knowledge of ACD's original canon stories. Like most Americans, they probably only know the stereotypes....although now that I think about it, we haven't seem him in a deerstalker hat, or smoking a pipe (they have the BBC Sherlock wearing nicotine patches instead, lol), and they turned Watson into a girl. So....

What network is Suits on? I'm going to subscribe to HBO soon, so I can see Parades End. And I don't have Showtime or any of the other premium networks. Is Suits out on DVD? Maybe I can get the earlier seasons on NetFlix? If it's already been on for 6 seasons, it'd be good to start in the beginning anyway, right?

Last edited by ancientsgate (January 16, 2013 11:16 pm)

January 17, 2013 6:12 pm  #89

ancientsgate wrote:

What network is Suits on? I'm going to subscribe to HBO soon, so I can see Parades End. And I don't have Showtime or any of the other premium networks. Is Suits out on DVD? Maybe I can get the earlier seasons on NetFlix? If it's already been on for 6 seasons, it'd be good to start in the beginning anyway, right?

As Swanpride said Suits is on the USA network. And, I'm totally addcited to it! It's true that the city isn't as crcuial to the overall show, but it's just a little thing that nags at me. The 3rd season starts tonight, but you can check out all the previous episodes at their website. http://www.usanetwork.com/videos/Suits/Full%20Episodes

And, I hear you about White Collar Swanpride. I'm picking up the first season from the library tonight.    I've kept meaning to go back and check it out, but one show just led to another and it kept getting pushed back.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

January 18, 2013 4:21 am  #90

Updated Alternative Titles: 
The 1991 Flashback One
The Off-the-Deep-End One

That said, I really did think 'M' was fairly good! Of course, as a canon-fiend I saw the "twist" coming from miles away, although I was afraid for a moment that they would degrade Moriarty from the Napoleon of Crime to a petty serial killer. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

January 18, 2013 4:38 am  #91

Swanpride wrote:

Eh...if cable-show White Collar manages finance this stuff (even if they do it by putting obnoxious ford-advertising into the show), then CBS should be able to find a way too...plus, there are also the details. A gorgeous backdrop for the set would work wonders. In White Collar for example, you can see New York through the windows of the FBI office, and Neal's apartment has a gorgeous view on the Crysler, and you normally get to see both as soon as they film on those sets, even if it is just a glimpse. And naturally they do a lot of "on location" shots....to an extend that people started to make "White Collar tours" when they visit New York.
BBC manages with London just fine too - the starting sequence allready screams "London".
But the main point is: If they do Sherlock Holmes in New York, they should sit back and think about how the character and the city would mesh...the bees were a good idea, but what is with everything else? Would he take caps, like bbc-sherlock does in London? Or would he knew the U-bahn system by heart, including the times when the lines arrive? Would he like the central park? Perhaps he would like the broadway, as some sort of modernized version of Sherlock Holmes love for classic music.
If you plug a character out of his "natural" enviroment, you better put some thought into it, especially if said enviroment is an important part of the original story.

Not only does White Collar do this masterfully, Breaking Bad does it incredibly; I speak from first-hand knowledge here. The city where it takes place is somewhat run down and unattractive; Breaking Bad not only showcases the city but makes it appear far better than it is in reality. The camera angles, the post-production, etc. The characters are also very familiar with the city, like you've mentioned.

So perhaps they should take notes from not only White Collar, but also Breaking Bad in that regard.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

January 18, 2013 2:49 pm  #92

Okay, I gave Elementary a second try. 
Ehhmm... I haven't changed my opinion that much. 

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 18, 2013 3:36 pm  #93

Mary Me wrote:

Well, I did. I found it worse. Sometimes almost annoying. Tried to watch it without any connection - which was almost impossible. If they'd just stop calling their names all the time!

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 18, 2013 11:26 pm  #94

How did we get off track  here?   We  do  have a Tv Programmes thread.  

Anyway--I  just watched last nite's episode of Elementary---a repeat,  I  just found out---called FLIGHT RISK.    It's one I hadn't  seen before.   Pretty good.   But Sherlock was overshadowing the  NTSB  inspectorand Gregson...--  just  proving that HE"S the smarter one.  That seems to be the only  saving grace of this series...everything else doesn't match the ACD  canon at all,  in my opinion.  So,  if this guy's so smart,  then how come he's just a consultant,  and HOW does he get paid?  We know how,  in  other versions,  but not in THIS one.    

So,  I'm giving this series another try.  I  tried  taping it,  but  I  lost track  of it...I  kept getting a bit bored.  Guess I've got some catchin' up to do,  yes?       

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

January 19, 2013 4:07 pm  #95

Mattlocked wrote:

Mary Me wrote:

Well, I did. I found it worse. Sometimes almost annoying. Tried to watch it without any connection - which was almost impossible. If they'd just stop calling their names all the time!

Yes! Exactly what I thought! While watching I almost forgot that it is actually an adaptation and was fine until that woman shouted "Mr Sherlock Holmes!"

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 19, 2013 9:49 pm  #96

I think Elementary is a great series, it just isn't Sherlock Holmes. I mean, a female Watson, come on...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The world is big enough for us, no ghosts need apply"

April 27, 2013 11:07 pm  #97

Hey!   So.....  many of you still watching Elementary? 
I know varied thoughts and activity on it went up and down, and wasn't always the most thrilling, but I was just curious because - honestly - I kept up with it just for fun and some of it really did build together a bit more as time went on.  The one before last, from a while back, for example, when Watson is still growing with learning the trade, the banter between them and Holmes' sponsor (great character)/sobriety, not to mention making it more intriguing having them solve a crime in a blizzard....  kinda fun.  Or the last one - I'm sure many of you would have had the same reaction as I did as we were led up through the start of a case involving a blackmailer (and just like Holmes of course to say he finds them worse than murderers).  Because who else would be a bad enough blackmailer to get Holmes involved, but - - - - -  Charles Augustus Milverton.   
And Holmes even (while hidden) witnesses his death (later found to be by the hand of one of the victims!)  Points for canon (besides other major familiar characters from his past.  although... ahem... I'm still not quite sure what to make of their Hudson!)  o.o  But at least Watson is growing with the role.  And not perfect, but better.  Of course, afterwards, found myself thinking again of the hilarious pseudo-titles Smoggy originally came up with.  I suppose you might call the last two something like 'The One With All The Snow' and 'The Milverton One'? 

(oops!  and just noticed josabby reviewed elsewhere, as well (with good points... definitely agree with)... hadn't refreshed since I brought this window up a bit ago and went afk before finishing it.  hrm... and, frankly, it seems the lines are blurring a bit with the different between the 'review' thread and the 'comparison' thread? might belong in here?)

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

April 28, 2013 9:30 am  #98

I no longer watch elementary. That was a waste of time. I've managed to watch ten episodes before I gave up. 

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

April 28, 2013 9:38 am  #99

See other people rave about it...I must give it a try.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 28, 2013 9:41 am  #100

Mary Me wrote:

I no longer watch elementary. That was a waste of time. I've managed to watch ten episodes before I gave up. 

Brave girl, I gave up after three 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

Board footera