BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 17, 2013 5:43 pm  #1

The person on the bike...is it relevant?

I've been thinking about this for several days, and I probably should go back and watch the episode again, but the person on the bike who rides by and knocks John down....seems like there's a reason for it. I keep thinking about what Sherlock says about the "homeless network" and I think John is knocked down in order to keep him from seeing something. For me, Sherlock Holmes has always been about "seeing" what is there and what is hidden. It could be that it was an accident, but nothing with Sherlock is ever an accident. Like at the beginning of the episode, where they show the dummy hanging by a rope around his neck in the kitchen. (I know that's a nod to another story, but I can't remember the name of it ATM.) I keep thinking that dummy and the guy on the bike...oh, it's pretty silly! I'd love to hear what you all have to say

*******************************************************************************************************************
I haven't disappeared completely, I've just been busy writing

January 17, 2013 6:46 pm  #2

Re: The person on the bike...is it relevant?

Yup!  It's pretty elementary.  (*ducks from making a bad joke!*)  ;)
The Reichenbach Fall threads (not to mention blogs and such online, which I found before this) are so dang easy to get lost in, since fans kinda went crazy with the cleverly intense plot they threw at us!!  (not to mention everything that happens!!  oi!)  The biker was definitely part of the network in on it that Sherlock set up for himself, to create his 'fall' without John knowing about it.  Definitely the kind of episode that watching again will make you go 'ohh, I see what they did there!' or delighting in all the details and character intensity they put in.   Needless to say, most of us can't wait to see how they follow it up!

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

January 17, 2013 7:54 pm  #3

Yes, I can't wait so much I pulled out the books and had to re-read Holmes' reappearance into Watson's life. I'd like to think that the next episode is *not* going to include the good doctor passing out cold, lol!

*******************************************************************************************************************
I haven't disappeared completely, I've just been busy writing

January 17, 2013 8:23 pm  #4

Ahh, so you got back to the Empty House, mm?  Yeah, I like that one.... ha... probably not (I can see swearing/a punch/being momentarily stunned, but probably not fainting  ;)), although they did say they'd be using it!

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

January 17, 2013 8:30 pm  #5

Nice, The Empty House. Too bad the man on the bike is not explained in there
I think they spent too much time on him for him not to be important, if that makes sense. He was probably a distraction, to keep John away from Sherlock a bit longer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You look sad when you think he can't see you."

January 18, 2013 3:49 am  #6

John suffered a bit of a head injury, as evidenced by his hazy vision.  They couldn't have planned for that, but it must have helped with the concealment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: OK...That was ridiculous. That was the most ridiculous thing...I've ever done.
Sherlock: And you invaded Afghanistan.
John: That wasn't *just* me.

Board footera