BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 10, 2012 2:20 pm  #21

Re: Remembering Jeremy Brett

For me, he remains the definitive Holmes, such a brilliant portrayal of the eccentric Victorian gentleman.
By the way, I have always wanted to ask a native speaker - why does he pronounce the  "r" in such a specific way? It´s an alveolar "r", isn´t it?

Tout peut arriver dans la vie, et surtout rien.

November 29, 2012 9:10 pm  #22

Wolfhound wrote:

For me, he remains the definitive Holmes, such a brilliant portrayal of the eccentric Victorian gentleman.
By the way, I have always wanted to ask a native speaker - why does he pronounce the  "r" in such a specific way? It´s an alveolar "r", isn´t it?

As much as I adore Benedict's Sherlock, Jeremy will always be whom I picture when I read the original stories. Regarding his pronunciation of the letter 'r', I believe that it may be in part due to his rhotacism. Although he had surgery to correct this speech impediment whilst a teenager, I think he remained overly conscious of his pronunciation even into adulthood. Alternatively, it could be because he wished to portray Holmes's speech in a more eccentric manner than the norm. After all, his pronunciation of the letter was not always the same.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The truth is rarely pure and never simple. Modern life would be very tedious if it were either, and modern literature a complete impossibility!"

December 23, 2012 10:41 pm  #23

PBS Jeremy Brett Special:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

December 24, 2012 2:26 pm  #24

Amara wrote:

Wolfhound wrote:

As much as I adore Benedict's Sherlock, Jeremy will always be whom I picture when I read the original stories. Regarding his pronunciation of the letter 'r', I believe that it may be in part due to his rhotacism. Although he had surgery to correct this speech impediment whilst a teenager, I think he remained overly conscious of his pronunciation even into adulthood. Alternatively, it could be because he wished to portray Holmes's speech in a more eccentric manner than the norm. After all, his pronunciation of the letter was not always the same.

Oh, Amara, thank you very much for your explanation! I did not know the fact about the surgery. But it definitely sounds quite excentric - in English. 

Tout peut arriver dans la vie, et surtout rien.

January 16, 2013 10:32 pm  #25

A video about Jeremy's childhood home:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 17, 2013 2:29 am  #26

Y'know I've always wondered and this thread should help me reach a conclusion.  

Why was Brett never at least nominated for an emmy?  

The show was amazing, the writing and directing were fabulous (most of the time), but Brett was the shining star and people knew that at the time.  I can deal with the other categories not getting noms, but I'm still puzzled why Brett never got one.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 17, 2013 4:50 pm  #27

It's sad really that he never won an award for his portrayal of Sherlock. I mean, Ben will always be my definitive Sherlock, but Brett was brilliant. He never even got a BAFTA, for that matter. But, sometimes, it's just the respect of your peers and the admiration of your devoted fans that is your greatest reward.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

January 24, 2013 11:01 am  #28

TicTacToe wrote:

This make me think of someone else...

Anyone know which Brett episode that's from? I don't think I've seen it yet and I really want to see him in a sheet! OK, that sounded weird...

January 31, 2013 2:28 pm  #29

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

TicTacToe wrote:

This make me think of someone else...

Anyone know which Brett episode that's from? I don't think I've seen it yet and I really want to see him in a sheet! OK, that sounded weird...

It's from The Master Blackmailer.

March 24, 2013 6:50 pm  #30

" It was hard watching them at the end"

I agree with this so much. I grew up with him as the definitive Holmes and reading what happened to him and the cost to him of filming in the end is actually quite heartbreaking, to the extent that I don't think I could watch the later episodes nowadays.

Its such a hard one, I have such great memories of watching the earlier series but to watch a man disintergrate like that in front of the cameras...so hard.

In some ways that's why I like the new Sherlock a lot more. Its far more deconstructed, far less about setting up a hero, far more human. I find it very hard to watch the Jeremy Brett years while knowing the truth about what was going on behind the scenes. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Brett

Last edited by beekeeper (March 24, 2013 6:51 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"
John Watson : "To be fair, that is quite a wide field"

The Hounds of Baskerville

August 8, 2013 9:58 pm  #31

I've been watching some Jeremy Brett Episodes.  He's wonderful.  The Mrs. Hudson on there is pretty cool as well, but not quite as cool as Ms. Stubbs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."
Whoa.  Sherlock was quoting Spock who was quoting Sherlock....Mind blown!!

November 6, 2013 3:43 am  #32

I am so happy to see that there are Jeremy Brett fans on this board because I love him and his Holmes very much!

And I bet you can tell that by my name *g*

Last edited by BrettianHolmesFan (November 6, 2013 3:44 am)

"Just once, can you two behave like grownups?"
"We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants so I wouldn't hold out too much hope." - Mycroft Holmes and John Watson, Sherlock, A Scandal in Belgravia, Season 2

"Well, Mr. Holmes. I’ve seen you handle a good many cases in my time but I don’t know that I ever knew a more workman like one than this. We’re not jealous of you, you know, at Scotland Yard. No, sir, we’re proud of you. And if you come down tomorrow there’s not a man from the oldest inspector to the youngest constable, who wouldn’t be glad to shake you by the hand." - Inspector Lestrade, The Six Napoleons

November 6, 2013 6:14 pm  #33

And good to meet yet another citizen of the Brettish Empire!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The world is big enough for us, no ghosts need apply"

November 6, 2013 6:32 pm  #34

Amara wrote:

Wolfhound wrote:

By the way, I have always wanted to ask a native speaker - why does he pronounce the "r" in such a specific way? It´s an alveolar "r", isn´t it?

No doubt you are right, Amara, about why Jeremy pronounced the letter R the way he did but I for one love the way he would roll them when he said them! And yes I hear his voice in my mind when I am reading the stories which is a real treat when I read the stories thatt were never turned into episodes for the Granada series!

"Just once, can you two behave like grownups?"
"We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants so I wouldn't hold out too much hope." - Mycroft Holmes and John Watson, Sherlock, A Scandal in Belgravia, Season 2

"Well, Mr. Holmes. I’ve seen you handle a good many cases in my time but I don’t know that I ever knew a more workman like one than this. We’re not jealous of you, you know, at Scotland Yard. No, sir, we’re proud of you. And if you come down tomorrow there’s not a man from the oldest inspector to the youngest constable, who wouldn’t be glad to shake you by the hand." - Inspector Lestrade, The Six Napoleons

Board footera