BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 24, 2012 1:11 pm  #1

Confound your eyes

Ok WARNING:
Do NOT do this early in the morning, late at night or anytime after a few drinks!

http://stevyncolgan.blogspot.co.uk/2007/09/my-brain-hurts.html

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

April 24, 2012 1:18 pm  #2

Re: Confound your eyes

That was brilliant! It was fun to look at the green one for a bit and then focus back to looking at the purple ones, and go back and forth.

How does it work?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 24, 2012 1:38 pm  #3

I'll explain it in simple terms, those wanting a deeper explanation can no doubt Google it.

In the colour spectrum, all colours have a complementary colour; an 'opposite' in other words. Add these 2 colours together & they cancel each other out.
If all colours were mixed together they make a white light. This is proven by looking at how light refracts through a clear prism; the white light that goes into the prism is 'bent' & all colours 'bend' at a different degree, thus making the rainbow coloured spectrum we see out the other side of the prism.
You see, the colours we see are actually the reflected light off the surface, all other colours of the spectrum are absorbed into the object.
Pink & green are complementary colours.

So your eyes are fixated on the ink; the brain says 'whoaa too much pink there!" and compensates drastically by 'seeing' the opposite colour. Further proof of that is when you look at a bright white light & then look away; you see a black dot. White & black are obvious 'opposites'.
Eventually, your eyes/brain will say 'hang on, there is pink there still and then I see green" till eventually the 2 colours detected cancel each other out.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

April 24, 2012 1:41 pm  #4

I haven't read this yet, so heaven help me if my explanation is different to theirs! (Gimmee a break if so, it's been 30 years since I studied this at Uni!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilac_chaser

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

April 24, 2012 6:03 pm  #5

That was fun and it worked!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera