BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 22, 2012 6:56 pm  #1

The weather

As a true Brit I was wondering what the weather is like at the moment in your part of the world. In the UK we talk of April showers and that is certainly what we are getting at the moment. Sitting in my lounge I can see enormous black rain clouds looming overhead. We have had thunder and lightening and hail today. In between it has been sunny and really quite warm. We are in Spring at the moment.

We have had an exceptionally dry winter, the second in a row, and many parts of the country are  officially in drought. Winter 2010/11 was unusually cold and this lasted from November until April, which is longer than normal.

What season are you in at home? I know these vary round the world. What is the weather usually like this time of the year and what is it actually like at the moment? Have you had any unusual weather?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 22, 2012 7:42 pm  #2

Re: The weather

It's Spring too here, but the weather is quite inconsistent. We had snow during the night, some places had 30 cm xD and now it's only grey. Strangely, it was warmer and sunnier during our Winter, with almost no snow (that was sad  ) and no snowstorm. Usually, we have a cold Winter with a lot of snow  and a more warmer and rainy Spring. But, well, not this year  .

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Wanted! Schrödinger's cat. Dead and alive."

April 23, 2012 12:45 am  #3

It's Autumn in Australia and the weather pattern has changed in the last (3?) years since El Nino took over from La Nina (or is it the other way around?)

Anyway, in Canberra, and in fact in the whole country I think, we had a super mild summer; which is to say we pretty much didn't get summer at all. Autumn is being particularly rainy and overcast but we've had some pleasant days as well. Spring and Autumn are my absolute favourite seasons

Edit: I laughed at the idea that we are literally talking about the weather now. MOFTISS HURRY UP!!!!

Last edited by Wholocked (April 23, 2012 12:45 am)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

April 23, 2012 6:01 am  #4

Out of interest, in Australia, what are the signs for Spring and Autumn beginning to start? Also what about in your part of Canada too Milkomeda? In the UK we start seeing bumble bees, daffodils and crocuses, blossom comes on the trees and hedgerows (and very beautiful it is too), pairs of birds courting (lots of mallard couples where we are) etc.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 23, 2012 8:41 am  #5

Wholocked wrote:

Edit: I laughed at the idea that we are literally talking about the weather now. MOFTISS HURRY UP!!!!

I'm laughing so hard at this... they really are not aware of what they've done to us 

We're in spring here right now, but last week it was snowing so... not very "springy" our weather right now. This last month has been quite cold but in March we reached about 25ºC and had a lot of sun. I really can't understand weather right now. It's changed a lot in the last few years.

So, don't believe that myth about sunny Spain... 

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

April 23, 2012 8:55 am  #6

Irene_Adler wrote:

Wholocked wrote:

I'm laughing so hard at this... they really are not aware of what they've done to us 

Damn them!!

The weather today in my part of England is dull and dreary with plenty of clouds. Haven't been outside yet so can't comment on the temperature.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 23, 2012 9:28 am  #7

Wholocked wrote:

Laughing very hard at that comment...soon we will talking politics and sounding like Mycroft!

But seriously the weather in my part of the UK (aka London) is sunny and chilly, with some cloud formation..as long as it does not rain tonight I will be fine (night shifts)..we have lost complete seasons and it all blends into one..

I have been known to just wear my blouse in Feb..then in July worn my jacket..how odd it is being in the UK...I do not like it too hot but I do enjoy the sun.

(Sorry am rambling)

Watson: Anytime you want to include me... "No, I'm Sherlock Holmes. I always work alone because no one else can compete with my massive intellect!"

April 23, 2012 10:05 am  #8

Rambling is another British trait, verbally and round the countryside. Lol

Wait for my next little gem of wisdom.

April 23, 2012 6:46 pm  #9

Well Davina, in Québec, signs of Spring are birds coming back, tulips blooming, snow slowly melting : ) and now there are magnolias and lilacs blooming : D. But, this year, birds have come back too soon and snow... What snow ? It was melting during the Winter -_- and it's snowing during the night now, so... Our seasons are weird.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Wanted! Schrödinger's cat. Dead and alive."

April 25, 2012 7:12 am  #10

We've also got magnolias blooming, camellias and lilac. It is also raining like cats and dogs outside!

April 25, 2012 12:03 pm  #11

Great! From being in a declared drought situation in many areas of the country we now have had so much rain in a short period rivers ae dangerously near to flood level!

April 25, 2012 12:13 pm  #12

Davina wrote:

Great! From being in a declared drought situation in many areas of the country we now have had so much rain in a short period rivers ae dangerously near to flood level!

Welcome to life in Australia!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 25, 2012 7:33 pm  #13

It seems to be par for the course here now as well. This isn't the first time we've had this in recent years.
Drove through a torrential rain and hail storm earlier and couldn't go more than 50 mph as it was so fierce. Mind you some mutters were still careering along at 80mph. So much surface water!

April 26, 2012 2:04 am  #14

It's cloudy and drizzly this evening here in San Francisco,  after a
beautiful sunny weekend,  everything in bloom,  including allergies!

Spring and Autumn are also my favorites.    Summers are often
overcast mornings/evenings, and cool temperatures,  but in May/June we get some
lovely warm days, as we do in Sept/October,  before the rains return.

April 26, 2012 2:33 am  #15

Davina wrote:

But from what I have read, the 'drought' was nowhere near as bad as what we experience in Australia and way off what some countries face. How bad was it?

Wholocked wrote:

Welcome to life in Australia!

Yep, and it's been that way for over 4 decades that I personally have lived through! I don't see climate change, I see a cycle repeating, lol.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

April 26, 2012 4:38 am  #16

kazza474 wrote:

I don't see climate change, I see a cycle repeating, lol.

Me too

April 26, 2012 12:44 pm  #17

I think we are poor at managing our water here. There has been an under-investment into the water network for donkeys' years with the results that there are many leaks. people waste a lot of water. There are swathes of the country that are facing hose-pipe bans. However I can remember very well the Summer of 1976 when there was a really severe drought and there were stand-pipes in the streets and lakes totally dried up. So I also think it is cyclical.

May 22, 2012 5:55 am  #18

been awhile since anyone has posted here.    My  weather in this part of the USA  has  been  way  too hot  for comfort.   Sometimes I think the sun is way too  close to me,  and I'm the only one in my family to think that.   

Squeee!!   Last night  mum  and I  saw a  annular  eclipse!!   we used a camera obscura thing-- white cardboard on white cardboard,  and we saw that moon  moving in front of the sun,  and we did see  that  "ring of fire"   there for a few minutes.   Ours was white,  since we only had white cardboard.  but  it was a nice ring.   I  was so tempted to look at the sun.   

I  too  seem to think  that this year's weather is strange.   We  need the Doctor  to come fix it.  Where did Sherlock Hide the Tardis, anyway?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

May 22, 2012 6:00 am  #19

We've just had the wettest April since records began. Followed by rain pretty much until last weekend. This week it is promised to be nicer and will be climbing to 24 degrees + which is going to be weird since we were in single figures until recently.

May 22, 2012 6:27 am  #20

oh  the eclipse!    We saw some of it here in SF yesterday,  but not the complete ring of fire.    Lucky you, sherlockskitty!   I saw the crescent-shaped shadows everywhere during it,  and the great evening filtered light.      It's been lovely weather,  springlike and sunny, with very little fog that I'm sure will show up soon as summer gets closer.

Board footera