BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 12, 2012 9:27 pm  #1

Pirates

Digital Spy has an interview, quite short, with Martin about his work on this animated movie. He says that this sort of work isn't what he entered acting to do, rather he was attracted by the storytelling element. But he found it different doing over 20 varied ways of saying 'Captain'. Not the sort of thing you would do for a director normally without ending up punching them (practice for Sherlock?) Also that it meant, unusually doing a lot of the recording work alone, and very little in the company of other actors.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 29, 2012 9:54 pm  #2

Re: Pirates

Heard a review of this film on BBC Radio 1 this afternoon, whilst stuck in an awful traffic jam actually, and the reviewer thought it was absolutely excellent. It works well for both kids and adults and has a great cast (voices). Think I may just have to go and see this!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 9, 2012 4:07 pm  #3

There is a great review of this film on the Sherlockology website.

May 25, 2012 2:39 am  #4

is this the same pirates movie that David Tennant has a voice-over in?   Squeee!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

May 25, 2012 12:38 pm  #5

It most certainly is!

May 29, 2012 12:00 am  #6

I think this could be rather fun!

October 28, 2012 7:42 pm  #7

I have not seen The Pirates! Band of Misfits (yet?), but am very amused by this video of Martin Freeman recording the voice of Pirate with a Scarf (shown side-by-side with the corresponding bits of the finished cartoon):

The cast also has a lot of other familiar names (and voices).  From the Harry Potter films, there's the aforementioned David "Doctor Who" Tennant (Barty Crouch, Jr.), Brendan Gleeson (Mad-Eye Moody), and Imelda Staunton (Dolores Umbridge).  In the US version only, from the new Star Trek movies, there's Anton Yelchin (Chekov).  And (in the British version only) from Sherlock, there's Russell Tovey (Henry Knight).

Here's the brief Digital Spy interview that Davina mentioned.  And the Sherlockology review, which calls Martin Freeman "arguably the heart of the film.".

Last edited by Carol the Dabbler (December 24, 2012 4:42 am)

November 6, 2012 11:28 am  #8

Omg, this sounds rather fun! Might have to check it out...along with all the other millions of Sherlock related things I have to check out.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

December 23, 2012 10:26 pm  #9

Just caught the last 45 minutes of this very cute cartoon. It's a 'must see' for crazy, whacky amusement - with or without kids. It's Charles Darwin (David Tennant) and Queen Victoria as you've never seen 

So let's see - in "The Hobbit" Martin gets a hug.  In "Band of Misfits"  as
'The Pirate with a Scarf', he gets a hug.  Come on, Sherlock writers, let's keep the ball rolling!

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

January 10, 2013 3:40 pm  #10

Nominated for an Oscar for Animated Feature Film!     Competing with Brave, Frankenweenie, ParaNorman, and Wreck-It Ralph.

Board footera