BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 22, 2012 9:13 pm  #1

Review of Baker Street Babes/Undershaw meet (London - 21st April 2012)

I arrived in London about 12:30pm after a long journey during which I had enough time to watch all of Series 1 on my iPod. I made my way over to Trafalgar Square. I'd managed to make a bit of an effort by wearing black pants, purple shirt, black jacket, long Sherlock style woolen coat with big collar, and a blue scarf. It made me feel quite Sherlocky. Once I'd arrived at the square I met up with two people off my RP forum - AntheaMI6 and my John Watson who I always RP with. Me & John spent most of the day talking and acting in character and calling each other John and Sherlock, it was really quite hilarious and lots of fun.

There were quite a lot of other Sherlockians milling around easily spotted by their ear hats and lavish costumes. At 2pm we all did the "freeze" which was basically everyone standing completely still for 5 minutes and you were supposed to do some kind of pose. There were a group of people holding up giant letters saying "Save Undershaw". I didn't do a pose and to be honest I was glad because the five minutes seemed to last for ages and I don't think I would have been able to hold it. I just stood there and spent most of the time staring at these two thinking how amazing they were for holding their pose:

After the freeze we all posed for photographs and we shouted out some slogans "Save Undershaw" "We Believe In Sherlock" and "Vote Sherlock". Then we all did a Vatican Cameos, which was brilliant, lots of floor diving. The group then split up and some people went on a costume walk round London whilst others went to Bella Italia for a buffet meal and pub quiz. I opted to go for the quiz and had John & Anthea on my team. It was 30 questions, 10 on BBC Sherlock, 10 on the Canon and 10 on other Sherlock adaptations. We did well on the BBC section but not too good on the others. More studying required! We got 18 out of 30 and came 5th place (which wasn't last by the way). The winners got 29 out of 30 so that's pretty damn good. Our team name was Mycroft's Minions!

We had a couple of hours to kill before the next event so we all went to sit on the rooftop at the National Theatre. It was quite a nice day and warm enough to sit outside and they had benches and tables and everything so it's not like just a rooftop Reichenbach style, although it was high enough to do a Reichenbach and jokes were made about about it. (Mainly by me). So we all sat around and geekily talked about Sherlock and made fandom jokes posing for pictures with jars of jam and other totally bizarre things that no one else understands except Sherlockians...and we did quite a lot of quoting from the show and acting in character, all good fun.

At 6pm we met up on the South Bank for the scavengar hunt. It was kind of like another quiz really, with loads of questions about Sherlock that we had to answer. Some of them were kind of cryptic but they were all set on the South Bank and involved us having to walk/run to different locations some of which were actual locations used in Sherlock, like the skate park where they spot the cipher in Blind Banker. One of the good bits was we had to locate some graffiti that was the name of a Sherlock character. It turned out to be "Jim". And in various locations we had to take pictures of the team, and one of the tasks was to take a picture of our team acting out a scene from Sherlock. For some reason we chose to do the "punch me in the face" scene from Scandal in Belgravia. We went to a quiet location where no one was around and me & John acted it out. It was really funny, we couldn't stop laughing.

The scavengar hunt lasted till 8pm and we didn't do very well on that either, lol, but it was lots of fun. I missed my train home because I got so caught up in what I was doing and didn't want to leave! In the end I had to get a much later one and pay more money, but it was definitely worth it. To sum up, it was a totally amazing day...met some brilliant people, and it was fantastic to be able to talk about Sherlock or act like Sherlock for the whole day without anyone thinking I was weird!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 22, 2012 9:27 pm  #2

Re: Review of Baker Street Babes/Undershaw meet (London - 21st April 2012)

Thanks so much for this great review -  I wished I could have been there as well!
Maybe till next time, Mr Holmes....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

April 22, 2012 9:33 pm  #3

This sounds such fun! I will definitely have to find time to go to the next one...costume 'n' all.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 22, 2012 10:42 pm  #4

Just found this hilarious pic of everyone doing the Vatican Cameos:

April 23, 2012 12:36 am  #5

Wow that looks like so much fun. And look at the spread of ages in that group! It reaches everyone! So awesome.

So where's the pic of "our" team doing punch me in the face???

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

April 23, 2012 1:03 am  #6

Nice review SH. Looks like you had a lovely day.

18/30 though - Tsk, tsk!

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

April 23, 2012 8:10 am  #7

@ m0r1arty - I know, definitely more revision needed for next time.

@ wholocked - that picture will never see the light of day! The embarrassment!!  We had to go to a parking lot just to find somewhere with no people around to stare at us!

April 23, 2012 9:19 am  #8

It was such a great day - I thought I would of possibly been one of the oldest. I was very much mistaken - I still keep laughing..

I will also be revising - more ACD reading instead of Fanfics..*shock*

Watson: Anytime you want to include me... "No, I'm Sherlock Holmes. I always work alone because no one else can compete with my massive intellect!"

April 23, 2012 10:00 am  #9

Best I get swatting for the next one then! Save Undershaw looks like its been hit by an earthquake in the Vatican Cameos photo! Lol

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 23, 2012 12:07 pm  #10

April 23, 2012 1:47 pm  #11

This looks like a lot of fun... who knows, maybe I can go someday 

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

Board footera