BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 2, 2013 6:33 pm  #21

Re: What does your username/signature/avatar say about you?

Thanks, I distracted myself by having a look at tumblr. Didn't work too well. So I took the shower. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 2, 2013 6:36 pm  #22

SusiGo wrote:

Thanks, I distracted myself by having a look at tumblr. Didn't work too well. So I took the shower. 

Looking at Tumblr to prevent thudding is like taking crack to 'prevent withdrawal symptoms' (and probably just as healthy.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

January 3, 2013 1:34 am  #23

Great thread--I started a similar one on a different, non-Sherlock message board because I wanted to know about people's aliases (the preferred word in that fandom for user name)...   

So I'll explain mine, not that it really needs much explaining.  In my other fandom, of which I've been a member far longer than I have been here, I chose a user name based on real but very uncommon names I liked.  As time went on, however, I regretted not creating one that was related to that particular fandom and historical period.

So when I decided to join here, I spent a fair amount of time trying to think of a name that somehow connected to the show and would be something I would still enjoy using years down the road.  I saw lots of names that were puns of some sort and, since I enjoy wordplay, decided to try something similar.  But "Sherlock" as an anagram didn't work nor did other words I tried (I don't now remember what they were).  I liked the idea of a two-word user name and finally hit upon what can be construed as, possibly, an actual name: Sherli for its obvious connection to Sherlock, and Bakerst as an--I hoped!--amusing version of his place of abode.

As for my avatar, this is the second one I've used.  The first was a photo of a statue of the Dance of Shiva, which I'd bought in India and felt was rather appropriate given the context here.  But then I decided I wanted something more closely related to the show and one night, when I was bored, I created the current image.  I found a picture of Our Hero and added in the text, which is one of my favorite lines of dialog of the whole show.  I used the color purple because, well, Sherlock looks so damn fine in it!  The color pink just seemed to make the image symmetrical to me--it needed a bright color to balance/complement the purple.  And so a few hours later, hey presto--I had a new avatar.

As for my signature, the text in my avatar used to be that instead, along with another line of dialog.  Actually, that was my second signature.  The first was two lines of dialog from Hounds.  But my current signature is a quotation that I found in childhood and have adopted as sort of my general philosophy.  I like to think it's something Sherlock believes, too.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

January 3, 2013 6:21 am  #24

Mnemosyne wrote:

It's a lot of fun to look at people's names and avatars etc and to have a wild guess at why they have picked them but it's absolutely fascinating to have people tell you in their own words. It looks like everyone creates their own personal mythology when they join a forum like this. So far this has been no exception.

Russell I love your sig. You're right, it just encapsulates the entire show in the most wonderful way (and is one of my favourite scenes, it never fails to make me giggle.) There is so much depth to your username, an entire story behind it that shows the subtleties of your exploration of the cannon and related fandom.

D'aww.... hush.  Thank you.    

I'm sure the majority of internet geeks have a short list of user names they use on various sites.... but mine were either too personal or silly (or cat-related, such as NougatCat), and wanted it Sherlock-related after seeing the other really cute/smart/clever references here like others said (like yours, and not to mention Tobe and Equi's... love the twist!), so... (loop back to prior previous explanation of name choice).  Yeah.
I figured maybe a few would see 'Russell', think 'oh, maybe like a character...', see the avatar, and go 'oh, bees!  yes, Russell!  Like in 'The Beekeeper's Apprentice'!" and enjoy... but.... seems I wasn't the only one who was totally unaware of that series before!   Hope some more post in here!

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

January 3, 2013 8:43 pm  #25

I really like your avatar, Sherli.
And Russell's, too. I attended a beekeeping course last year. Bees are fascinating.

I always find it difficult to talk about myself, but I'll try to explain my stuff.
In the past I have used very short user names on forums, mostly consisting of three or four letters. It was also typical for me to be very reluctant and rarely post anything. Then I thought, if I ever join a forum again, I should try not to be too shy, try to be a part of the community. Otherwise it doesn't make much sense. A long, noticeable user name would be a good start, I thought. So I chose QuiteExtraordinary, which is also a quote, of course, from the touching scene in ASiP where John tells Sherlock that his deduction skills are "amazing" and "extraordinary" and Sherlock almost cannot believe it.

The avatar is one I made and used a couple of times before. It doesn't have a special meaning. Perhaps it could be interpreted as an image of what is going on in my brain most of the time.

My signature is a picture taken from Reichenbach with the quote. I liked the surreal look of Sherlock's face in that scene.

The little quote above it (get the point - good - let's dance) is meant as a tribute to my original fandom. I admire Michael Jackson a lot and as a teenager I was a huge fan of his. The quote is one he borrowed from one of his sister's albums and used it during his performance at the 1995 MTV Video Music Awards, which IMO was one of the greatest dancing performances in the world ever. If anyone's interested, the part with the quote can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=280sGC16jmA. And I better shut up now before I start rambling on MJ.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

January 3, 2013 9:23 pm  #26

I guess I'll have a go...
My username is a combination of things: my favourite number and my favourite childhood hobby.
My avatar is just a picture I liked AND it's a unique color so I can see my posts easily. (it's actually really helpful!)
The picture in my signature is actually one of my favourites because it's so true for me...except I'm more single than cumberbatched. And the quote is from a book I read and it describes me really well: I'm obsessed, I prefer to isolate myself from people(sorry if you wanted to be my friend...I only have two), and I definitely march to a different drum....
So that sums up me. And my signature/avatar/username.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Geniuses are often obsessive, and their clarity of intellectual insight can be depressing and isolating: by nature geniuses march to a different drum." - Ron Bracey

January 4, 2013 12:57 am  #27

I leave for a few hours and look what happens, people post on the board (of all things!) 

QuiteExtraordinary nice to see you growing in confidence on this board. Sometimes it's hard to gauge. I've been a member of boards where you are quite literally scared to post in case someone shouts at you or you get reprimanded by an overzealous mod (makes you feel like a child being dragged in to see the headmaster or something.) But this board has a uniquely well balanced group of members. 

horserider99 One of the reasons I picked my avatar is so I could spot my posts in a crowd. But failed to take into account that the skull is the same shade of blue that is prevalent throughout the design of this board. So I often scroll past mine anyway. That's also partly why I added the eyes to my sig. So if I missed the skull I'd definitely notice my ugly mush staring back at me. There's nothing wrong with being an introvert or being selective over who you pick as friends. I don't befriend people on a whim either. But now I want to know why 99 is your favourite number. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 4, 2013 1:11 am  #28

Mnemosyne wrote:

...horserider99 ....now I want to know why 99 is your favourite number. 

Me, too. Except I want to know why it's your favorite number, but I think that's the same thing, lol.

My fave numbers are 7, 8 and 11. Those numbers have followed me around all my adult life, so much so that I actually look for them now, alone or made up from combinations of other numbers that add up to them. I think numbers are cool.

January 4, 2013 1:28 am  #29

Mnemosyne wrote:

One of the reasons I picked my avatar is so I could spot my posts in a crowd.

That's part of why I sue that one avatar most of the time. Occasionally I'll use a shot of me drifting my MX-5 on car forums, but I know that image quite well, as well, so it also stands out. Alternate avatar:

Last edited by equiraptor (January 4, 2013 1:28 am)

January 4, 2013 2:14 am  #30

My username 'Keepersprice' (Keepers Price) is the title of the book put out by Daw Publishing which was a compilation of fan fic set in the SF fantasy world of Darkover  created by author Marion Zimmer Bradley.  (Most people know MZB for "The Mists of Avalon") I was a fan of her Darkover series and wrote a couple of pieces for her. When she decided to have her publisher publish a book of her favorite fan stories she chose one of mine to be in it. An amazing honor.

My avatar just had to be our 'two boys' - the two halves of the whole. I can't have one without the other.  I love them together - the beauty of the opposites.

My sig is my favorite quote from the show. Perceptive Sherlock pinpointing John's psyche to a T in that darkly seductive way of his. Gives me chills the way he says it, every time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

January 4, 2013 2:45 am  #31

Mnemosyne wrote:

But now I want to know why 99 is your favourite number.

I don't know why. o.O It's actually the name of the highway which was one of the first roads I learned, come to think of it.

Last edited by horserider99 (January 4, 2013 2:51 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Geniuses are often obsessive, and their clarity of intellectual insight can be depressing and isolating: by nature geniuses march to a different drum." - Ron Bracey

January 4, 2013 8:18 pm  #32

horserider99 wrote:

Mnemosyne wrote:

But now I want to know why 99 is your favourite number.

I don't know why. o.O It's actually the name of the highway which was one of the first roads I learned, come to think of it.

Ah I see. 

January 4, 2013 10:40 pm  #33

So, basically I don't have a reason for liking it.

January 4, 2013 10:55 pm  #34

horserider99 wrote:

So, basically I don't have a reason for liking it.

That's okay; you're entitled to not have a reason. *smile* Some of us would go mute and start stammering if a friend asked us to explain, "Why Sherlock? Why Benedict? Why Martin?" as well.  heh

January 5, 2013 12:51 am  #35

My best friend and her little sister think he's ugly. I have to work on them....

January 5, 2013 2:11 am  #36

My family don't even get a say on the matter.

And don't worry about not having a cast iron reason for everything. You don't have to explain yourself to anyone, least of all me...

January 5, 2013 7:31 am  #37

horserider99 wrote:

My best friend and her little sister think he's ugly. I have to work on them....

I have friends who refuse to watch the show, just because they think Ben is ugly. Apparently he's an acquired taste, as the expression goes, and everyone here on the forum has acquired it, to say the least, but some of my pals have not.  One of the things I like about his looks is that he's unusual. I've been on planet Earth a long, long time, and I gotta tell you, I have never seen a man wrapped up in such an attractive-unique way. Either someone gets it, or they don't. And I pity the fools that don't, lol.

January 5, 2013 11:58 am  #38

Refusing to watch a show because they think an actor is in unattractive is ridiculous. You might as well say 'I don't watch that show because they drink tea in it, I hate tea!'

P.S. I don't hate tea, just thought I would like to point that out

Last edited by Mnemosyne (January 5, 2013 11:58 am)

January 5, 2013 3:17 pm  #39

Mnemosyne wrote:

Refusing to watch a show because they think an actor is in unattractive is ridiculous. You might as well say 'I don't watch that show because they drink tea in it, I hate tea!'

What someone likes or doesn't in regards to a fandom is very subjective, and each to his own. It's a big wide world out there with millions of choices, so...  I have friends who are gaga about the guy in Castle, and about that Dexter show with the serial killer who only does away with people who "deserve it" (that's entertainment?), so...  that's what makes a horse race, as they say-- everyone likes something different.

January 5, 2013 4:28 pm  #40

Mnemosyne wrote:

P.S. I don't hate tea, just thought I would like to point that out

Except for actors where you already know, what's awaiting you, e.g. Adam Sandler. I avoid movies with him.

And I also had problems for hours when watching The Lord of the Rings again, because I just don't like Elijah Wood and his same-all-the-time tortured facial expression.
No reason not to watch TLOTR though   

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

Board footera