BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 26, 2012 8:16 pm  #1361

Re: You know you're obsessed with Sherlock when...

Not sure if the writers used the reference deliberately but they would almost certainly be aware of it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

December 26, 2012 9:09 pm  #1362

It just made me giggle thinking about Sherlock wearing antlers! I also watched the Doctor Who Christmas special and thought it was quite good, and I loved the Sherlock references, even though the Doctor wasn't wearing the right coat (for bbc Sherlock, he was going for classic)

"That's what people DO!"

December 26, 2012 9:19 pm  #1363

I hadn't seen that hint yet. Funny idea! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 27, 2012 12:36 am  #1364

Mnemosyne wrote:

Estela wrote:

Hi!! I'm new here. I know I'm obsessed with Sher when I meet new people and try to analyze them just just Sherlock does. Happened to me yesterday.

Greetings
What did you get and were you right? (I love it when that happens.)

Well Mnemosyne. What I got was right but not very deep. But it's okay coz i didn't get to know the person deeply either so..
I looked for long coats today coz I'll be Sherlock for next Halloween but I didn't find it

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martin Freeman is adorable!

December 27, 2012 1:17 am  #1365

KeepersPrice wrote:

Mnemosyne wrote:

You watch the Dr Who Xmas special and think 'Moffat you utter ███████' for all the Sherlock references... Oh and a relative (closet fangirl, or if you prefer pupating fangirl) tries to make you wear antlers and smiles knowingly when you tell her 'some things are best left to the imagination.'

Mnemosyne, you're an actor.  Is it not true that in literature and in plays, especially Shakespeare, the wearing of antlers is a reference to a husband who has been made a cuckold by his wife?  I always found it humorous that Mrs. Hudson wishes Sherlock had "worn the antlers" which he dismisses, then turns and comes face-to-face with John's girlfriend, Jeanette.  Always wondered if the writers were familiar with that obscure reference and used it deliberately    Or maybe they just wanted us to laugh at the idea of Sherlock looking silly. We'll probably never know for sure........

That is... Yeah, very true. Sometimes I am afraid of the true intentions of the writers because of stuff like this. You never know exactly what they were thinking when they wrote it!

Very nice observation there.

I doubt the person who tried to get me to to wear the antlers was aware of this reference, however.

If they were then I am very very worried (no intentions of instigating an episode of 'c**k-blocking by proxy'.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

December 27, 2012 2:05 am  #1366

Mnemosyne wrote:

That is... Yeah, very true. Sometimes I am afraid of the true intentions of the writers because of stuff like this. You never know exactly what they were thinking when they wrote it!

Oh, I'm not afraid of their intentions . I take great delight in the ambiguity.  I'm 100% convinced it's deliberate on their part. "The tease, Mrs. Hudson, is on!"  Major reason why I love this show!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

December 27, 2012 9:46 am  #1367

KeepersPrice wrote:

Mnemosyne wrote:

Oh, I'm not afraid of their intentions . I take great delight in the ambiguity.  I'm 100% convinced it's deliberate on their part. "The tease, Mrs. Hudson, is on!"  Major reason why I love this show!

Hahah! 
I guess it would be a little weird were this show written by people who had no idea how to create tension or suspense... Or tease until our minds are quite literally spinning: the greatest minds spin the most.

Last edited by Mnemosyne (December 27, 2012 9:47 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

December 28, 2012 2:51 am  #1368

When you get a stuffed bear for Christmas and immediately take it to your room, name it Sherlock and wrap it in a scarf the way Sherlock Holmes does it in the show. Then proceed to make your sister name her new stuffed owl John and attempt to find a sweater that will fit it......and later on after many arguments, you convince your other (youngest) sister (I have two) to name her little husky webkinz Lestrade.
I had a busy day

"That's what people DO!"

December 28, 2012 5:00 pm  #1369

Our cuddly cute dwarf hamster is named Benedict Cumberbatch....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Richard Brook is Make Believe!

December 28, 2012 7:36 pm  #1370

Well.... when you don't have an otter, a hamster will do. 

When you find a chocolate bar printed with "There is always something" and immediately have to think at Pink.....

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

December 30, 2012 10:38 am  #1371

...When you try to write your own detective stories and almost immediately give up just because you can't make the main character to be as fascinating as Sherlock.
...When the local librarian calls you personally to say that you have to return all those Conan Doyle books that you have borrowed. :**D
...When you have to eat headache pills because you spend far too much time on the computer reading Sherlock forums.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I believe in Sherlock Holmes

✓JohnLocked

December 30, 2012 9:21 pm  #1372

Hello , I'm new here.
You know you're obsessed:
...you started taking violin lesson because of jeremy berret's Sherlock Holmes series.
...named your violin sherlock, and insisted that everyone call "him" that.
... every time you went to violin class you announced "I'm going out with sherlock"
...after giving up on violin for good for over a year watching Sherlock still makes your mind go "what if I start again?"
...had a mini heart attack when reading the word "Shocked" in your completely non-shelock book.
... laugh at people in this forum for trying to tie their scarf like Sherlock, notice you do the same occasionally without actually meaning to ---> decide to join the forum because after all "we are all the same ;)"

Last edited by immortal (December 30, 2012 9:27 pm)

December 30, 2012 10:04 pm  #1373

When (after receiving an iTunes gift card for Christmas) you immediately go on iTunes and buy the soundtrack for both seasons, assuming you don't already have it, in which case you might buy every app available with Sherlock in the title!

"That's what people DO!"

December 30, 2012 11:06 pm  #1374

Shemika wrote:

...When you have to eat headache pills because you spend far too much time on the computer reading Sherlock forums.

Oh, THAT I know!! 

December 31, 2012 2:31 pm  #1375

...when you are really, really happy because your favourite cappuccino suddenly looks like this:

http://daysofstorm.tumblr.com/post/32544993911/cinderblock42-arlessiar-daysofstorm

December 31, 2012 2:34 pm  #1376

Ah, I know these. Went shopping with my daughter and then she discovered the other cappuccino thing with the funny-looking dwarf on it. She laughed until she was crying. The people at the supermarket must have thought we went mad. Did you try the Hobbit chai latte? Not bad, really not bad. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 31, 2012 2:39 pm  #1377

Hm, I think I have to go there again to get some more of them. 
Today it was a real surprise. "We need cappuccino.... where is it.... ah, there.... OMG, what's THAT?" Belated Christmas surprise.   

January 1, 2013 12:11 am  #1378

So cool that the coffee bags have Martin on them! I find myself staring at magazine covers just to see him! Also, you know your obsessed when your looking at reading glasses and realize that the brand is ICU, and you have to do a double check because all you saw was IOU!

"That's what people DO!"

January 1, 2013 11:55 pm  #1379

They have those at Whole Foods? Going there now!
You know you are obsessed when you go to a new years eve party, meet new people, analyze then in Sherlock style and you were absolutely right.
Also when you catch yourself naturally reacting with facial expressions that Sherlock and Watson (and Martin Freeman at any time) do.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martin Freeman is adorable!

January 2, 2013 10:45 am  #1380

....when a colleague and friend calls you and says:"Good morning, happy new year. I have a riddle for you, now listen to this sentence: Ich bin nicht sein Date! (I'm not his date!)  ???"
And you reply immediately: "Ahhhh, Sherlock, Study in Pink, Watson, last night on tv, BR3! So you watched it?"
And he: "Errr.... right. "  Followed by minutes of silence.

And then I started like: How did you like that scene? And do you remember this scene? And wasn't it brilliant? And...and... and...

It was the first time he watched Sherlock and he wrote down already the next two episodes on German tv.

Last edited by Mattlocked (January 2, 2013 10:49 am)

Board footera