BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 19, 2012 7:40 am  #181

Re: Doctor Who

Elementary my dear. Yes I would say definitely some nods to Sherlock Holmes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

December 20, 2012 6:25 pm  #182

Cool.  Although, um...  sigh....  this coming from the girl who can't hear well, mind telling me the dialogue about the 'nod' you guys are referring to?

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

December 20, 2012 6:46 pm  #183

The Doctor in full Sherlock Holmes garb.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 23, 2012 9:50 pm  #184

I am so excited for the Christmas special! It looks very exciting and I hope it will answer a lot of my questions. Fr instance (an obvious one) how are they going to introduces Sara Louise Coleman's character? (I've probably spelled her name wrong, sorry!) and other questions, like what has happened to the doctor and how is he taking the absence of the Ponds....
Anyways, only two more nights! I can hardly stand waiting, it's almost more exciting than Christmas itself!

"That's what people DO!"

December 24, 2012 5:13 am  #185

besleybean wrote:

The Doctor in full Sherlock Holmes garb...

Ahh.... yes.  They actually humorously refer to it as just that?  Cute... didn't get that.  And yes... quite similar...surprised didn't consider that... although honestly, when they first started putting the promo pics out, I was just thinking more generalized 'victorian' and 'A Christmas Carol' style vibe... which is quite neat to see him in anyway... but of course he still has a mystery to solve too....  ;)  ;)

Moriarty wrote:

I am so excited for the Christmas special! It looks very exciting and I hope it will answer a lot of my questions. Fr instance (an obvious one) how are they going to introduces Sara Louise Coleman's character? (I've probably spelled her name wrong, sorry!) and other questions, like what has happened to the doctor and how is he taking the absence of the Ponds....
Anyways, only two more nights! I can hardly stand waiting, it's almost more exciting than Christmas itself!

It's actually Jenna-Louise.  ;)   And despite missing 'the old companions', (but heck, then again, that feeling happens every time there's a switch-over until the new one makes their mark), I'm excited about her too!  I mean... seriously...! we first meet 'her' in that crazy mixed around ep with the Daleks, where she was called Oswin Oswald, and all that stuff that happened to her.  And now they run into each other in Victorian times (unless it's an ancestor or timey-wimey jump?) and her name is Clara Oswin?  Oh yeah... Moffatt is at it again.  ;PP  ;D

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

December 26, 2012 9:38 pm  #186

I meant to say Jenna-Louise, that was my mistake! And boy the the Christmas special crazy, I think that that was the only way they could have the same actor die twice, by surrounding it in nonsense! Anybody know when the next episode comes out?

"That's what people DO!"

December 26, 2012 9:42 pm  #187

April, apparently.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 28, 2012 6:00 am  #188

Once the snow has melted! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

December 28, 2012 8:13 am  #189

Ha!

December 29, 2012 4:42 am  #190

And of course I had to be completely unable to watch it on Christmas like most the happy holiday whovians.... and of course we got dumped with a ton of snow the day after xmas, entrenching those awesome snowmen teaser pics even further in my mind, so when I finally got to see it today. . . . well, frankly.... it. was. awesome....      

(and how cool were all the little in-joke references??)

Mmm....   now to just wait for all the snow to melt.....  ;)

December 29, 2012 7:32 pm  #191

OMG   I  have to say...  this christmas special was the WEIRDEST  one  I've ever seen.   No  Christmas  decorations,  no   tree,   nothing.   no  presents either.   Just the doctor,  being a hermit,   and Richard E  Grant playing a character  who  grew up to be like Ebenezer Scrooge.  The references to The Strand Magazine, to  Dr.  Doyle,   (Our own AC Doyle)   and then a  reference to a FEMALE  Sherlock Holmes...and then the doctor showing up in a deerstalker hat  as Sherlock  Holmes....(Ok  I  admit  I DID  like that part).   But the rest of it.  bit of rubbish, I might say.  I  know, Steven Moffat wrote it,   even tho he's also the executive producer...

I  liked  the costumes tho.   I'm a sucker for the victorian era.  But they've done that in DW   so many times before.   

Now   we have to WAIT,  for more  episodes?   Oh,  whatever shall I do,  till then?   I dislike waiting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

December 29, 2012 7:33 pm  #192

You're a Sherlock fan and dislike waiting?!

December 30, 2012 3:29 am  #193

sherlockskitty wrote:

OMG   I  have to say...  this christmas special was the WEIRDEST  one  I've ever seen.

Ha...!  Weirdest?  We've had an alien ship blow up over Earth (that's not snow!!), evil trees, evil santas, evil robot angels on a crashing spaceship, a fake doctor and cybermen, a flying shark (carting 'santa's' sleigh, even!?) , live tree-people and their "mothership"....  and this was the weirdest?   
Granted, some of the mixture was a bit odd...  and yes, more wintery than xmasy, but.... was pretty awesome in some ways... not to mention all the cross-over geek references, and Clara.  <g>

Now if only it would stop snowing here.........   

December 30, 2012 7:32 pm  #194

I just watched it yesterday, as I was away over the holidays, and must say I liked it a lot better than the last few Christmas special. Granted, it was not really all that "Christmassy", but I didn't mind that. It was nice to have a fun episode for a change, with lots of comedic references and jokes.
I wouldn't say it was any stranger than the Christmas invasion or the one about the Starship Titanic. Dr. Who is always strange, and even more so at Christmas.
I'm actually quite curious to see the outcome of the "Who is Oswin"-story, but I hope it's not something to do with regeneration.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

December 30, 2012 9:37 pm  #195

I  hope it's not  regeneration,  too.   I  think it's  a  generation gap.    Clara   was her name back in 1842,  (the date  for the  Xmas 2012 special)   and then Oswin Oswald  was the name   for  when  she was on the star ship ALASKA  which crashed onto that dalek planet.   I  think it's a   generation/descendant  sort of thing.   It's a timey-wimey....thing.   I  hope those writers at dr who  have thought all this out properly.    Still,   it  gives us fans something to think about,  right?   After all,  they  did   something weird with River Song's timeline, too.   (When the dr  met her for the FIRST time,   SHE   was  meetting HIM  for the LAST  time)   

Yes  I'm a Sherlock fan,  but we've had to wait for THEM  too,  right?   Oh, fie.    waiting is hard,  but most times  it's worth it.

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

December 31, 2012 5:56 am  #196

Seriously.   Despite always getting a little upset at the loss of a companion, Oswin's just awesome....     And seriously... all the fandom references and witty quips??    But no kidding... they already did the regeneration thing, plus the 'meeting in opposite order' thing, so I'd like to think Moffat isn't the type to repeat that and has something more interesting for us.  Descendent, maybe... they've done that... be quirky to explain how connected...  unless cloned.  ;P   Evil clone experiment to see if fate keeps drawing the Doctor to each of them... or to draw him out by being magnetized towards finding them, letting the Silence find him from hiding again....  ;PPP   Hehh...  I know, I know...

I'd settle for the delightful amusement of River and Oswin running him in circles and some kind of timey generational-twins thing. 

January 1, 2013 12:10 pm  #197

sherlockskitty wrote:

I  hope it's not  regeneration,  too.   I  think it's  a  generation gap.    Clara   was her name back in 1842,  (the date  for the  Xmas 2012 special)   and then Oswin Oswald  was the name   for  when  she was on the star ship ALASKA  which crashed onto that dalek planet.   I  think it's a   generation/descendant  sort of thing.   It's a timey-wimey....thing.   I  hope those writers at dr who  have thought all this out properly.    Still,   it  gives us fans something to think about,  right?   After all,  they  did   something weird with River Song's timeline, too.   (When the dr  met her for the FIRST time,   SHE   was  meetting HIM  for the LAST  time)

At first I thought that Clara is Oswin's great great grandmother or something, but then she knew the exact words Oswin told the doctor at the asylum, so it cannot be as simple as that.

And yes, waiting is a pain, and you don't get better at it just because you're made to wait for three different shows.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

January 7, 2013 8:24 pm  #198

I love that so many people here watch Doctor Who I like the new companion, I was waiting for her to finaly take Amy's place. Amy was okay, but it was just time for another companion. The snowmen made sublime monsters, I think. I didn't like the other Christmas specials all that much, but this one was just...better It's hard to explain why.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You look sad when you think he can't see you."

January 16, 2013 10:49 pm  #199

oh,  don't worry about explanations,  Me.  I  just hope that I don't miss the next Doctor who episode.  Does anyone know if they are filming now for the next block  of episodes?    Does anyone get the dr who magazine?  I  get it at my bookstore  barnes and Noble,  but it's always a month or so behind. 

Last edited by sherlockskitty (January 16, 2013 10:50 pm)

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

February 6, 2013 3:03 pm  #200

besleybean wrote:

I love Matt Smith!

I completely and totally agree! I'm a newbie whovian here, just finished series 5 and 6 and waiting for the first half of 7 from the library. It was really seeing Matt around so much, in interviews and pics and such that prompted me to watch the show. I'm a big BBC nut and watch almost all their shows, but for some reason had always been a bit reluctant about Doctor Who. But, I'm okay with that, because it's always a thrill to discover an awesome new show, however late you come to the table.

And, it really is Matt that makes this show live and breath for me. He's got such a wonderful and unique personality for his doctor, his humor, strength and vulnerability are amazing and he really connects me to the doctor's whole world. And, I've grown very fond of that world.   I even love not really understanding certain things and learning as I go, as I don't have all the backstory knowledge long-time viewers do.

I haven't seen the Ponds go yet, but I know it's coming and I'm really sad about. I'm just trying to have faith that Steven will bring on a new companion with just as much heart and spark as Amy. I've even heard rumors that Matt is considering leaving soon as well and that thought is just heartbreaking. Having just discovered this new treasure, I was looking forward to enjoyng it awhile longer.

And, of course I love the Tardis and must own it in some shape or form. I was thinking maybe a cookie jar. The Tardis and cookies seems like a nice combination to me.

p.s. I want to give much love and kudos to whoever cast Alex Kingston as River Song. It's so nice and refreshing to see a lovely, older talented woman playing the love interest of a handsome, talented young man. Typcially she'd be a skinny little tart, popping through space in a bikini in search of a sandwich. Their love story truly touched my heart. 

Last edited by harleyq (February 6, 2013 6:15 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

Board footera