BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 21, 2012 7:59 am  #1

How did John know Sherlock was with murderer?

When the laptop manages to locate the phone and it comes up saying it's at the education college John jumps in a cab and makes his way over there. On the way he calls Lestrade and says it's an emergency and then when he gets there he's running through the empty corridors shouting for Sherlock.

The point is, he was tracing the phone which they knew the murderer had, but how did John know Sherlock was with the murderer? John doesn't know the murderer's a cabbie so as far as he can tell Sherlock just went off randomly in a cab not with the murderer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 21, 2012 8:40 am  #2

Re: How did John know Sherlock was with murderer?

John doesn't know that Sherlock is with the murderer, but he gleans that it has to do with the case. Right from the start there's something about the relationship between Sherlock and John that can't be explained entirely.
Mofftiss shows us that everything's a matter of "though":

"Though" John has trust issues, he trusts Sherlock of all people.
"Though" John is haunted by memories of the war, he wants to see more of it.
"Though" Sherlock is apparently a difficult man to live with, John doesn't hesitate to do so.
"Though" he doesn't know whether he's right, John defends Sherlock in the drug's bust scene.
"Though" Donovan told John that Sherlock "does that", namely leave without explanation, he isn't convinced that this is done just on a whim and better keeps an eye on him.
"Though" he's known Sherlock for less than 24 hours he risks his neck for him and shoots the cabbie.

Yes, it's a special connection they have that goes further than just logic.
We do love them just because of the "further than" thing, don't we?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

April 21, 2012 9:00 am  #3

I love your "Though" theories!

There are things throughout this series make us go "further than logic" when figuring out
these leaps of faith.

I always figured that John must have connected the dots here.  Since the phone showed up on GPS at Baker
Street,  then Sherlock leaves in cab,  then it shows up as having left Baker Street just as the cab leaves with
Sherlock...and it shows up at a remote abandoned spot.  He most likely assumed that Sherlock, the phone, and the
cabble were together at that point, and in danger.   Their special connection is unfolding.

April 21, 2012 9:21 am  #4

Yes, and he already knows that all of the murders have taken place at remote unusual locations.

I love the fact that John is willing to do all these things for Sherlock so early on after meeting him and puts so much faith in him, it really is part of what makes their relationship (and the series) so special! I'm sure everyone wishes they had a friend like John Watson.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 21, 2012 10:05 am  #5

I think at that stage John doesn't have anything else pressing to do & feels something bad is going to happen; more about his sense of duty to society to stop 'bad things happening' than any strong feelings for Sherlock.
He's an Army guy, if you think something is wrong you do something about it.

I don't think his actions were solely 'for' Sherlock.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

April 21, 2012 11:18 am  #6

Sherlock himself starts to describe the personality of the cabbie's killer to Lestrade when he looks over to John and suddenly the penny drops. Up until that moment even he has no idea that it was John who shot the cabbie. Sherlock gives the reasons why the 'unknown' sniper killed the cabbie none of which are directly because it was Sherlock  himself who was under direct threat. The implication being that ajohn would have done the same for anyone.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 30, 2012 2:31 am  #7

I  like the fact that kazza  said john is an Army guy.   I  think his training  told him  that the phone he was ringing  (the pink phone)  was where Sherlock was.   I  saw the unaired pilot--in that episode Sherlock said,  :I give you,  the London Cabbie!!"   but in the 90 minute version....  Sherlock  tries to get John  to figure out what kinds of cars  are "invisibles"--namely,  that everyone trusts,  to take them places,  even tho they don't KNOW  the person driving it.,  who  hunts in a crowd...etc..   So...John must have figured out it was THAT cab  that was the dangerous  one.

Last edited by sherlockskitty (May 30, 2012 2:47 am)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

Board footera