BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 25, 2012 1:46 am  #61

Re: How long have you been a fan?

I read several of the stories when I was a kid-actually reading Poe lead to SH. My parents loved the Basil Rathbone movies altho I have vague memories of it. Then there was the Jeremy Brett series which I got into because the writers of Upstairs, Downstairs were involved.

However, BBC's Sherlock was one of the best surprises ever to flicker over the telly. It was, from the first episode on, like shuttered windows flung open and fresh air pouring in. Fantastic writing, cast (you can't pick a favorite). I'm here because I don't know how to make it thru to Season 3 on my own ;). And yes, what others have said here--I SOBBED my eyes out at the end of the Reichenbach.

See you on the boards.

September 25, 2012 3:35 am  #62

I started watching this June, when a friend recommended the show.  I got a bunch of B&N gift cards for my birthday, so after watching the first episode on Netflix and absolutely falling in love, I bought both seasons on DVD and was hopelessly addicted from then on.  In a way I'm glad I came into it late - less waiting for me!

September 26, 2012 12:42 am  #63

Maggie, I think a lot of us share your experience. Sherlockedkt, but now you are waiting with the rest of us. Don't tell us you wish you hadn't seen any of it so you could watch Seasons 1, 2, and 3 all together!

I believe I answered this before. Loved the show from "Wrong!" on, but didn't become obsessed -- I mean very, very interested -- until season 2.

Last edited by veecee (September 26, 2012 12:44 am)

October 5, 2012 5:03 pm  #64

I was raised on Rathbone and Brett and read The Sign of Four when I was a teenager.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 5, 2012 5:57 pm  #65

I became a fan right after the first season came out, then I read the book(I have my great-grandfather's 1930 copy that I read) and I annoyed my family very much by counting down to the second season. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Geniuses are often obsessive, and their clarity of intellectual insight can be depressing and isolating: by nature geniuses march to a different drum." - Ron Bracey

October 9, 2012 10:51 pm  #66

horserider99 wrote:

I became a fan right after the first season came out, then I read the book(I have my great-grandfather's 1930 copy that I read) and I annoyed my family very much by counting down to the second season. 

Wow, hold onto that copy, it's precious for sure!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

October 9, 2012 10:59 pm  #67

When I saw BASIL THE MOUSE DETECTIVE as a kid, I knew he was based on a real(er)(ish) character.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

December 23, 2012 2:06 am  #68

I was always aware of Sherlock Holmes as a kid, I just knew that he was a really good detective. At that time period I did read a lot of Nancy Drew novels though, which was sort of the same. But my real obsession has happened recently when I heard about Sherlock on the interweb, I then watched it nearly nonstop on Netflix. That was a few months ago and Netflix only had the first season much to my dismay! So I kind of put it off, and it slipped my mind with the new Doctor Who episodes and exciting other fandoms, and then one day I happened to look on Netflix at Sherlock again because I was going to show my dad, and Lo and Behold! There is the second season! After that I have been sort of reading the ARD originals, but it is slow going...
anywhooo... That is the story of how I became obsessed with Sherlock!

"That's what people DO!"

December 24, 2012 2:31 pm  #69

I caught cold when I was around 12 years old and had nothing to read except some books I had read many times before.  I made a thourough search in a bookcase and found The Hound of The Baskervilles. And that was it. I have SH periods in my life, years when I rewatch Jeremy Brett, reread the canon  and years when I don´t like to. Still it remains one of my favourite crime stories writers.

Tout peut arriver dans la vie, et surtout rien.

Board footera