BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 2, 2012 10:47 pm  #1

Parade's End

Have you read it?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“The scar had not pained Harry for nineteen years. All was well.” HP and the Deathly Hallows

"Why's it always the hat photograph?"The Reichenbach Fall

November 2, 2012 10:54 pm  #2

Re: Parade's End

Yes, I have and I was very impressed. Couldn't stop reading although it's not an easy read. This is what I wrote about it in another thread:

Actually I wanted to write a review on "Parade's End" but Benedict and others have said so many intelligent things about the books that I just would be repeating them. It has been a deeply moving and impressive read even if sometimes I thought "now go on, Ford, I don't have to know everything about the inner workings of the British army or Government". The novels are a demanding read, that's for sure. I marked 128 memorable passages on my Kindle.

WARNING - SPOILERS:
For the last fifty or sixty pages I was totally on edge and I was just thinking, don't let him die, sure he's gonna die, he's suffered so much, now the author will let him die as well. She'll lose the baby and he's going to die. And that's the end of it. But it wasn't. I nearly cried because I was so relieved.

Last edited by SusiGo (November 2, 2012 10:55 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 2, 2012 10:58 pm  #3

Well, this is the first time I post a topic, I see I've made this "wrong" ( ) anyway...
I've figured out there isn't Parade's End in Portuguese here, I'm really because the series is amazing and too short. I'm in love with the story, the characters (very well played btw), and I can't read.
I'd like to know if the books are as good as the series, maybe some nice quotes you enjoy.
PS: I don't know if there's some topic like this around, if so, you move it (is that how it's called?).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“The scar had not pained Harry for nineteen years. All was well.” HP and the Deathly Hallows

November 2, 2012 11:12 pm  #4

No, it's not wrong. I posted the comment in my "Susi's books" section. There was no previous thread on the books. 
The books are as good as the series, definitely. The series concentrates mainly on the first and second novel, the other two don't figure so much in the film. Of course they had to adapt the novels and make cuts because it's really a sprawl of a story. The series captures the spirit very well and the actors are excellent.

About the quotes: one of my favourites is in my signature. Here are some more:

- If you wanted something killed you'd go to Sylvia Tietjens in the sure faith that she would kill it: emotion, hope, ideal; kill it quick and sure. If you waned something kept alive you'd go to Valentine: she'd fine something to do for it … The two types of mind: remorseless enemy, sure screen, dagger … sheath!
- She loved him, he knew, with a deep, an unshakable passion, just as his passion for her was a devouring element that covered his whole mind as the atmosphere envelopes the earth.
- You see in such a world as this, an idealist - or perhaps it's only a sentimentalist - must be stoned to death. He makes the others uncomfortable. He haunts them at their golf …
- He could not let a horse for which he was responsible be martyred …
- I am to go up into the line so that the morals of the troops in your command may not be contaminated by the contemplation of my marital infelicities.

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 2, 2012 11:47 pm  #5

I meant my first post here shouldn't be "have you read it?" (neeeever mind )
There are so many romance stories, there are so many teenagers reading and loving Twilight (find the irony), and I've chosen a past century novel not available in my country

November 3, 2012 12:01 am  #6

Your English seems to be good. Give it a try and read it in English. Do you have a Kindle? I read it on mine and the dictionary function was very helpful. There are a lot of very special terms, e.g. from the military, but most of them were included in the dictionary.   

November 12, 2012 10:55 pm  #7

No, I don't actually. It's a player for e-books, isn't it? It's an idea, thank you

November 13, 2012 6:55 am  #8

Yes, it's the one sold by amazon. 

December 20, 2012 9:15 pm  #9

I just started reading the book and it's a bit of a challenge for me. The story and characters seem interesting, but the writing voice is not one I particularly enjoy or find easy to read. I'm trying hard to give up on it, but it's not easy. I'll give it a chance, but I'm not sure I can hack it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

December 21, 2012 6:33 pm  #10

I've found this one and I've read the first chapter. Not so hard. I've started chapter 2. Not easy at all. But I've been enjoying it, really. And the challenge of reading a book in English for the first time.
http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks07/0700171h.html

December 21, 2012 6:39 pm  #11

Yes, it's a challenge, that's true, but I loved it. And was glad to read it on my Kindle which has a good dictionary.

Board footera