BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 1, 2012 7:34 am  #101

Re: CBS Sherlock (aka The Elementary Thread)

Need them here today!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 1, 2012 7:34 pm  #102

Truthfully, that was an exaggeration, but I've never seen movies or TV shows taking place in London where lots of people are wearing sunglasses.

Where I live, though, you need them every single solitary day. Even in the winter. Even at 5:00 pm on December 21. I doubt that  there is a man, woman, or child in my town who doesn't own at least two pairs.

(Also, just a moment ago this began to bug me: "Bloody brilliant"? It's like they're trying to plug the Britishness of it. I'll say it again, I'll say it a thousand times: If you're doing American Sherlock, do it right.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

July 1, 2012 7:43 pm  #103

I had a nightmare last night where Sherlock and Elementary did a crossover show. Sherlock went to L.A. to visit Irene. Watson tailed him and the two joined up with Lucy Liu and this American guy playing the faux Sherlock. They were all searching for the new Zodiac Killer. Watson went to bed with Lucy. Sherlock was wearing a Magnum PI Hawaiian shirt and sunglasses. He was fondling Irene sitting on his lap who was cracking gum and wearing a miniskirt. It was a total mess. The only good thing was that the faux Sherlock was proven to be totally out of his element. I should not have had the chips and salsa before bed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disguise is always a self portrait

July 1, 2012 7:51 pm  #104

Salsa the dance or the tomato dippy thingy? Funnily enough I've posted the same question on a totally different thread tonight. Salsa is obviously the synchronicity 'word of the day'. Lol

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 1, 2012 8:02 pm  #105

Davina wrote:

Salsa the dance or the tomato dippy thingy? Funnily enough I've posted the same question on a totally different thread tonight. Salsa is obviously the synchronicity 'word of the day'. Lol

I was tempted to say "both" to add to my legend. But in truth it was the dippy sauce. Dippy sauce for dippy redhead.

Disguise is always a self portrait

July 3, 2012 12:58 pm  #106

Sky Living has bought the rights to air Elementary in the UK in the autumn, a short while after it airs in the US.

www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-07-03/sky-living-to-screen-us-sherlock-rival-elementary

July 4, 2012 3:37 am  #107

Going to watch it, Davina?

Should we have an Elementary spoilers thread or does anyone really care? (And, yay, something that the Americans get to see first!)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't know; I saw.

July 4, 2012 5:37 am  #108

I might watch it, out of curiosity like. I try to keep a open mind but somehow I just know i'll be picking holes in it. By the time the first episode has finished it will probably resemble a piece of Swiss cheese- although I like Emmental actually.

July 4, 2012 3:28 pm  #109

This article irked me a bit.

http://www.hitfix.com/the-fien-print/take-me-to-the-pilots-12-cbs-elementary

It says stuff like "don't compare the two" etc., saying that they're nothing alike as if that's a good thing. Well, they should have some stuff in common, it's ostensibly the same storyline and the same characters. We have a right to compare, they're pretty much ripping off our favorite show. Not to say it won't be at least mildly quality. On the television quality scale it's still like a 7. (Sherlock, being, of course, a 9.99, just short of absolutely perfect.) 7 is now my mark for "I'm willing to turn on the TV for this."

I didn't know; I saw.

July 4, 2012 3:49 pm  #110

Very interesting comments in the section below the article.  Can't say as it makes me more or less inclined to watch the show, though.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

July 4, 2012 5:10 pm  #111

I just CANNOT see how two shows, based (ostensibly at least) upon the original Sherlock Holmes stories can have 'NOTHING' or 'ZERO' in common. Surely this is a contradiction in terms?

Clearly the author of this piece was not very impressed with the pilot, but then...it is just a pilot.

The comments after were interesting. Elementary may well gaining higher viewing figures than Sherlock when it airs in the Autumn but that is because of its 'mothership' not a reflection do its superior quality.

Moffat and Gatiss (can no-one spell his name correctly?), especially the former, would have declined the advances of any big American studios/TV company due to terrible experiences with interference in the past.

That is all. Over and out.

July 5, 2012 2:42 pm  #112

I stand by my assertion that no matter what adaptation you're doing, no matter what country you're doing it in, no matter how many characters you genderswap, Watson is always a BAMF. Why couldn't they give her a military background? She's Lucy Liu, and a Charlie's Angel to boot. It's not as if she couldn't pull it off.

I mean, they've got to have SOMETHING in common, right? If I had watched the Sherlock pilot first I wouldn't have been so fangirly about it either. Like, "Oh, it's great, but it's not *fantastic*." because I'm a sucker for cinematography and scores, two things that were remedied in the later version. I hope the music for Elementary is good, but even if they were to get Hans Zimmer on board (ha ha ha, good luck with that) the score wouldn't be as good as David Arnold and Michael Price.

I didn't know; I saw.

December 5, 2012 3:46 am  #113

I've seen the pilot episode and happily gave up there.

Not my cup of tea I'm afraid.

Perhaps it'll get better but I'd rather watch Monk or Psyched to get my intellectual jollies (And yes, that's sarcasm).

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

December 5, 2012 8:28 am  #114

Oh you'll be OK m0r; with the recent passig of Hagman, you can probably get a good 'I dream of Jeannie' marathon on the tube anyday soon. Fabulous weekend filler wouldn't you say?

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

December 5, 2012 2:28 pm  #115

Larry Hagman's dead?

Didn't they just start doing a new version of Dallas with him back as J.R?

I did like I dream or Jeanie...but I also like Bewitched...hmm, which do I like best?

I fancy Elizabeth Montgomery more so I'll probably do a Bewitched weekend - sad to hear about Hagman though.

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

December 5, 2012 3:37 pm  #116

m0r1arty wrote:

Larry Hagman's dead?

Didn't they just start doing a new version of Dallas with him back as J.R?

I did like I dream or Jeanie...but I also like Bewitched...hmm, which do I like best?

I fancy Elizabeth Montgomery more so I'll probably do a Bewitched weekend - sad to hear about Hagman though.

-m0r

I believe they're already rewriting the Dallas season 2 script to deal with his death

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Valentine:  Do you know the stars, Mr Tietjens?
Christopher:  I despise astronomy.

December 20, 2012 5:40 am  #117

I think I have to bring my rating of Elementary up to an 8. It's not bad, and it's getting better.

I didn't know; I saw.

December 20, 2012 6:23 am  #118

I think my only problem is how short the episodes actually are. By the time you take out the adverts they are trying to fit in a whole story in about half-an-hour.

December 21, 2012 4:59 am  #119

Annoying, isn't it? Now you know what it feels like to watch American network television.

I didn't know; I saw.

January 20, 2013 4:23 pm  #120

I hink elementary is not that bad. It just isn't Sherlock Holmes for me. I do like miller, just hate liu's performance though, She is so clever and sharp,  she seems almost an even match to SH.  I do like the closing shot from episode 12, M. It is just great, wish they had done that at Sherlock.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The world is big enough for us, no ghosts need apply"

Board footera