BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 26, 2012 6:42 pm  #21

Re: "My Elementary Review:"

I had to force myself to watch all of the pilot because I wanted to give it a fair chance. But it just wasn't that interesting and took itself way too seriously. Did he smile once?
So to answer your question, no, I didn't. In fact, I completely forgot about it. I guess that says it all. What a waste. It could have been good.

October 27, 2012 6:44 pm  #22

I watch it on Thursdays when I don't have too much homework, of which this Thursday was the first since the pilot. I felt like they've really gotten the show going. I liked the episode this week better than I liked the pilot, but...

Investment bankers consult Holmes
Holmes goes to an investment banker's home and finds a dead investment banker
Police show up
Police declare the death self-inflicted
Holmes finds evidence to the contrary
No one believes in his logic until the report from the lab comes back

This is not a plot summary of the opening of The Blind Banker.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

October 30, 2012 3:04 pm  #23

As with most people, i wanted to hate the show. But I did'nt. I mean it was no Sherlock but it wasnt horrible (in terms of a cop show). In terms of a Sherlock Holmes adaptation I didnt think it was all that impressive

November 1, 2012 11:26 am  #24

I watched the second episode last night and I must say it was a big improvement on the first episode. The plot was tight, the acting was strong all round. I especially liked the violin moments; the arson was hilarious and the final violin scene was touching. Gregson's character has been given more depth. It is very different from Sherlock but there are good aspects to this show. I thought I would hate it but I have approached it with an open mind and it is growing on me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

November 22, 2012 10:08 pm  #25

Well I've watched a couple more episodes. Seems that they are trying hard to write Watson into a full role, rather than sticking to something nearer to the canon. Tonight's episode verged on House at times. Also being particularly pernickety again but why on earth would an Englishman in New York write dates in the North American way when scribbling all over a blackboard? Some good, funny lines in tonight's episode but also other opportunities for comic relief missed- I assume due to direction as the potential was there in the script.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

November 22, 2012 10:39 pm  #26

Davina wrote:

Well I've watched a couple more episodes. Seems that they are trying hard to write Watson into a full role, rather than sticking to something nearer to the canon. Tonight's episode verged on House at times. Also being particularly pernickety again but why on earth would an Englishman in New York write dates in the North American way when scribbling all over a blackboard? Some good, funny lines in tonight's episode but also other opportunities for comic relief missed- I assume due to direction as the potential was there in the script.

Oh, I noticed that too! I also thought it was bizarre in last week's CBS episode (the plane crash) that he called the wrench a "wrench" and not a "spanner". I wish they would give JLM liberty to correct these errors, since to my knowledge he's the only Brit who appears regularly. If I'm American and I'm noticing, they must be pretty obvious.

Did anyone notice that in the episode now officially titled "The Plane Crash One," Watson is sitting in front of a display in the bookstore with The House of Silk featured quite prominently?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't know; I saw.

November 22, 2012 10:45 pm  #27

Elementary Episodes According to Smoggy:

The First One
The One Where He Burns The Violin
The Child Snatcher One
Not 'The Blind Banker'
The House MD One
The Plane Crash One
The One Where Holmes Shreds the Letters

I didn't know; I saw.

November 22, 2012 10:50 pm  #28

Haven't got as far as that one yet. We have just had the one set in the hospital (avoiding spoilers). Do you think the writer/producers think that the American viewing public won't be able to cope with a few authentic Britishisms? I would have thought that it would have just added some more authenticity. In this latest one I felt the balance between Sherlock's genius and Watson's medical expertise was out of kilter. It feels as if the story is in danger of become more about her than about him.

November 22, 2012 11:09 pm  #29

Davina wrote:

Haven't got as far as that one yet. We have just had the one set in the hospital (avoiding spoilers). Do you think the writer/producers think that the American viewing public won't be able to cope with a few authentic Britishisms? I would have thought that it would have just added some more authenticity. In this latest one I felt the balance between Sherlock's genius and Watson's medical expertise was out of kilter. It feels as if the story is in danger of become more about her than about him.

Sorry, I'll be more careful. I didn't give away much. The "wrench" shows up in the first five minutes. I for one would like some Britishisms; Sherlock is bereft with them and I love it. "Holiday," "MOD," "tax on the car," "quid."

I didn't know; I saw.

November 23, 2012 8:32 am  #30

Ah...I didn't mean you giving away spoilers. I missed The Child Snatcher one. For some reason it didn't get recorded. More Britishisms would certainly add a bit more colour. 

December 20, 2012 5:44 am  #31

Update:
The One Where We Wonder What Excuse Watson Will Have for Staying
The Blind Banker Redux Redux
The One Where Holmes Has a Major Superiority Complex

I didn't know; I saw.

December 20, 2012 6:33 am  #32

Smoggy_London_Air wrote:

Update:
The One Where We Wonder What Excuse Watson Will Have for Staying
The Blind Banker Redux Redux
The One Where Holmes Has a Major Superiority Complex

This is me, just laughing....  ;D

And yes, while I didn't join in on the past/ongoing thread discussions about... ok, ok, I was one of those people who reacted to news of its creation with alarmed annoyance on principle and wanted to dislike, and while still have issues with some of their quirks and Watson's nature, hey... it's not a horrible show.  At least executed mostly well (the mysteries aren't bad, and honestly, considering some shows churned out, it could have ended up a lot cheesier or not look as good technically), and pretty fun for the most part, for a detective pair adventure.  Not the same, but fun for what it is, for the meantime.  But still, I'm laughing.   ;)

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

December 21, 2012 4:58 am  #33

Our entire show is The One Where Holmes Has a Major Superiority Complex.

It could have just turned out exactly like The Mentalist, and I'm glad that it didn't. I wouldn't bother watching it if it had.

I didn't know; I saw.

January 6, 2013 2:54 am  #34

Hey guys!
So.... I know opinions are over the board with the show-we-love-to-hate, or just plain indifferent, or hey, a few like me who find it fun enough to watch as long as don't get too mad about how truly "Holmesian" it is and just morbidly curious about where it goes (hey, gotta find some other interesting things to watch and tackle pile of stuff to read during this long hiatus... ;P).

Since most 'fall' shows that took a winter break are -finally- coming back, was just curious how many of you besides me tuned in to 'Elementary' last week (and... sure... the amused side of me wondering what Smoggy's alternate title for that one would be...  "The One With The Spies"?  ;)).  Thoughts?  I thought it was about staying on okay par with the rest... some amusing quips... not so bad clue/twist... Watson finally jumping in more... Holmes finally pointing out more that she likes it... ehh... still kind of "whatever, guys" at the tension they're trying to create with the 'will she stay or won't she, and what kind of agreement'.  The single part that got most of an eyebrow raise, though, was actually the teaser for next week.     Snrk.  Danger.... another case.... his greatest enemy... dun dun....  took his only love...  dun dun....  a legendary battle (with background image of one of those old-fashioned wax seals, with M stamped on it).  (can see here, if want: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F-NTJ88O3U)   Ohh.... kaay....   apprehensive, curious amusement, no?   Anyone?  Heh... I'm... uh... just gonna plop back down over here with my favorite boys and a dose of cautiously neutral wry thoughtfulness, then.  ;)

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

January 6, 2013 3:20 am  #35

Russell wrote:

Hey guys!
So.... I know opinions are over the board with the show-we-love-to-hate, or just plain indifferent, or hey, a few like me who find it fun enough to watch as long as don't get too mad about how truly "Holmesian" it is and just morbidly curious about where it goes (hey, gotta find some other interesting things to watch and tackle pile of stuff to read during this long hiatus... ;P).

Since most 'fall' shows that took a winter break are -finally- coming back, was just curious how many of you besides me tuned in to 'Elementary' last week (and... sure... the amused side of me wondering what Smoggy's alternate title for that one would be...  "The One With The Spies"?  ;)).  Thoughts?  I thought it was about staying on okay par with the rest... some amusing quips... not so bad clue/twist... Watson finally jumping in more... Holmes finally pointing out more that she likes it... ehh... still kind of "whatever, guys" at the tension they're trying to create with the 'will she stay or won't she, and what kind of agreement'.  The single part that got most of an eyebrow raise, though, was actually the teaser for next week.     Snrk.  Danger.... another case.... his greatest enemy... dun dun....  took his only love...  dun dun....  a legendary battle (with background image of one of those old-fashioned wax seals, with M stamped on it).  (can see here, if want: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F-NTJ88O3U)   Ohh.... kaay....   apprehensive, curious amusement, no?   Anyone?  Heh... I'm... uh... just gonna plop back down over here with my favorite boys and a dose of cautiously neutral wry thoughtfulness, then.  ;)

Love this picture!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Richard Brook is Make Believe!

January 10, 2013 8:08 am  #36

I think the most annoyingly useless part of this show is his fascination with watching & memorising all the different TV shows at the same time.
So what they are saying is 'this is where Holmes learns many things at the same time, because he can'. I half expect to see a show on one of the TVs about the solar system because honestly, what the hell is it teaching him????
They are 'glorifying' the TV as some form of educational tool for someone as apparently brilliant as Holmes?

I find that VERY hard to swallow and yet, being made America surely suits this premise.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

January 10, 2013 4:25 pm  #37

kazza474 wrote:

They are 'glorifying' the TV as some form of educational tool for someone as apparently brilliant as Holmes?

I find that VERY hard to swallow and yet, being made America surely suits this premise.

I don't watch the show and find this premise patently ridiculous and severely beneath Sherlock's character and brilliance.  I can only apologize on behalf of my country and the morons who run the network TV industry. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

January 10, 2013 5:46 pm  #38

kazza474 wrote:

I think the most annoyingly useless part of this show is his fascination with watching & memorising all the different TV shows at the same time.
So what they are saying is 'this is where Holmes learns many things at the same time, because he can'. I half expect to see a show on one of the TVs about the solar system because honestly, what the hell is it teaching him????

Ha...  because that's how the majority of the populace learn everything??    
I kid... I kid...  but yes, some annoyance / minor truth to that.  Now, if every channel were on Nova, PBS, Discovery... etc...  I don't know... it /was/ pretty stupid.  A clever trick for him to recite memorized lines to Watson.  And sure, minorly useful for focus of multi-directional concentration, but you'd think Holmes would have other ways of doing that.  And if it's for keeping up on news, the way canon Holmes read every single newspaper available, well.... no... doesn't explain the useless junk.  (I can just hear our other Holmes in my head saying 'none of it matters!!!)   

January 10, 2013 5:57 pm  #39

(. . . . .and, yet.... I'm still planning on watching the new ep tonight.....        please, please no thrown tomatoes at!  ;p   Snrk....  it's just morbid curiosity watching an entertaining wreck that's admittedly not top-notch, but not bad enough to turn off, either....    Y'know?   I wanna know what the heck they're gonna do with this odd thug-looking Moriarty who apparently is the reason for losing Irene and evilly followed him and provides a too-conveniently handy little reason for Watson to stay....  ;PPP   I'm taking one for the team, to let all of you know afterwards!  ;)  ;PP)

January 10, 2013 8:09 pm  #40

I will watch it in ten minutes,too.
But I'm not half as exited as I was yesterday before the new episode of CabinPressure 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

Board footera