BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 18, 2012 11:00 pm  #1

Benedict Cumberbatch on the future of Sherlock

Are Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman getting too famous to return to Sherlock?
"It's happened before. James McAvoy stepped out of TV's Shameless to play a Narnian faun never to return, Will Smith left Bel-Air for good to shoot aliens, and now that Martin Freeman is playing Bilbo in The Hobbit and Benedict Cumberbatch is playing the villain in Star Trek Into Darkness, could the duo also become too famous for telly?"

You'll have to follow the link to see his answer.
He's always said this, I hope newer fans get to read this & understand his thinking behind it so that that rumour is killed once & for all.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

December 18, 2012 11:14 pm  #2

Re: Benedict Cumberbatch on the future of Sherlock

Good to hear.  I just hope it's not a case of "methinks he doth protest too much."   

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

December 18, 2012 11:43 pm  #3

It would be great to have a good few more series of Sherlock.

I don't think the team would milk it too far and I'm certain Benedict wouldn't want to take it so far that it gets stale.

Here's to another 2 batches of episodes!

-m0r

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

December 19, 2012 9:20 am  #4

I think what people forgot is that Sherlock is not an US series, there isn't a 10 month shooting a year for a season with 24 episodes that run from September to May.

So plenty of time to do other stuff in between. Like it's has been already said a lot of times, the gaps between the Sherlock seasons might be bigger.

And Sherlock isn't a "I was young and needed the money" job! (it's not a stupid soap opera)

So I look to the future quite calmly.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

December 19, 2012 8:24 pm  #5

It seems like everyone loves the show and wants to keep going with it, which is a great thing. And, I think as long it remains a priority, schedules can be juggled and it can be sorted out to work for everyone. The show certainly has a lot of life left in it and I can't imagine them doing it for so long that it looses its luster.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

December 20, 2012 2:20 pm  #6

Thanks for the update!

I think the comparison with people like Will Smith who started out as TV actors is not applicable to Benedict and Marting, because they both were considerable well known actors at the time they accepted their parts in Sherlock. Ok, so probably Star Trek and The Hobbit are a step up regarding international fame, but it's not like they were begging for work before.
Also, as Ivy has said (and others in other threads), BBC Sherlock is "massive" by British TV standards, and has been sold worldwide. It's not a bad job to have, even for someone who has been working in Hollywood.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

December 20, 2012 3:34 pm  #7

I am calm also.  Often actors will opt out of a popular role because they are afraid of being typecast.  With plenty of time to take on other projects in between shooting the series, neither Ben or Martin are in too much danger of being typecast.  They may become 'best known' for those roles, but it won't define their entire careers so that they will never find work outside of 'Sherlock'. That's already been proven.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

December 20, 2012 5:49 pm  #8

Yes, it is not as if it is a weekly or daily soap opera.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 10, 2013 10:00 pm  #9

It's better they take the time to produce really good three episodes than twenty low-budget episodes.
They do nothing wrong. I am calm.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 16, 2013 10:15 pm  #10

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 17, 2013 4:32 pm  #11

This article articulates perfectly how I feel about the show. The format and flexibility should allow everyone invloved to continue for a good long time.

This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

January 19, 2013 5:31 pm  #12

I am afraid that this will be the last season, perhaps they will do a view christmas specials, but it certainly isn't going to be more than 4-5 seasons.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The world is big enough for us, no ghosts need apply"

January 19, 2013 6:05 pm  #13

Jacco111 wrote:

I am afraid that this will be the last season

Wrong!

Well, I hope you are anyway. There is BC's interview saying he doesn't want to stop, and also in the casebook Moffat says "There are plenty of places to go after these stories, plenty more adventures to see. These are still the early days of our hero's career". (he was referring to season 2)

If season 3 is the last, I'll retire to a convent somewhere and take the veil.

January 19, 2013 6:18 pm  #14

biscuitbear wrote:

There is BC's interview saying he doesn't want to stop, .

They alway say that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The world is big enough for us, no ghosts need apply"

March 12, 2013 4:21 pm  #15

March 12, 2013 4:32 pm  #16

SQUEEEEEEEEEE!!! Thanks bb, that made my day. Well, I say day.   

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

March 12, 2013 4:33 pm  #17

It kind of made my century. 

March 12, 2013 4:39 pm  #18

I can't even! perfect perfect perfect 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

March 12, 2013 4:42 pm  #19

*singing and dancing and smiling* Lalalalala........
Hubby will soon call the ambulance.

Twitter goes crazy, too    #SherlockS4   

Last edited by Mattlocked (March 12, 2013 4:47 pm)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

March 12, 2013 4:47 pm  #20

Wow! I'm lost for words!

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

Board footera