BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?



December 18, 2012 4:27 pm  #221


Re: The Hobbit- update release dates etc.

The Anderson Cooper interview has finally made it to youtube.


 

December 18, 2012 7:24 pm  #222


Re: The Hobbit- update release dates etc.

Thanks for posting, I totally forgot to post it 


----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!
http://fs5.directupload.net/images/151103/cun4b2f8.png

 
 

December 18, 2012 9:11 pm  #223


Re: The Hobbit- update release dates etc.

Thanks for that, great interview! Love Anderson Cooper.


----------------------------------------------------------------
SH: "Brilliant, Anderson."
Anderson: "Really?"
SH: "Yes. Brilliant impression of an idiot."
 

December 30, 2012 4:30 am  #224


Re: The Hobbit- update release dates etc.

whistling in the dark wrote:

Not surprised.  It's getting terrible reviews from the major critics.  I think it's sitting at a 30% cream of the crop rating at Rotten Tomatoes. 

MSN has a hilarious video with Martin and Andy Serkis here.  It's definitely my favorite of Martin's junket interviews this tour.

So I somehow never noticed/watched that interview, but came across it again today from a completely unrelated tumblr, searched to see if it was already put in the Hobbit threads, and....  well, there you go...  ;p   ;)  Surprised more people didn't comment on it.
oh.. my.. god, those guys are freaking adorably hilarious at times, in so many snippets I've seen.     I love Martin doing a Gollum impression!  All of those guys on the film (and our favorite show, of course), just seem so neat to banter with.  Just to add to that, on the tumblr where I came across the clip, there was another gif below it which I just had to share:

Interview unknown (except obviously being with ET), but the caption was the question just asked: "Why will people want to go see The Hobbit?"      Yes, Martin......
http://24.media.tumblr.com/a93d177926b4679a15eb94ff01142a14/tumblr_meozbrXhVh1qlhhx4o2_r1_500.gif


_________________________________________________________________________

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.
 

December 30, 2012 5:19 am  #225


Re: The Hobbit- update release dates etc.

Russell wrote:

Interview unknown (except obviously being with ET), but the caption was the question just asked: "Why will people want to go see The Hobbit?"      Yes, Martin......
http://24.media.tumblr.com/a93d177926b4679a15eb94ff01142a14/tumblr_meozbrXhVh1qlhhx4o2_r1_500.gif

It's from this interview.  And he is correct, at least where I'm concerned.   

 

December 31, 2012 5:24 am  #226


Re: The Hobbit- update release dates etc.

Danke.  ;)   And again:  A. dor. a. ble.
Did you see the other interview mentioned above?  I can't help a stuck grin, whenever watch Martin and Andy bantering around... :-)))
Of course, I'm pretty close to admitting main movie-watching reasons.......      


_________________________________________________________________________

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.
 

January 7, 2013 7:30 am  #227


Re: The Hobbit- update release dates etc.

In case you always wanted to have Hobbit feet …

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a503/susigo1/430870_434725599926515_1306857445_n_zpse0c41622.jpg

(made by Goldfischzahn, Germany)

Last edited by SusiGo (January 7, 2013 7:31 am)


------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

http://up.picr.de/28609194so.png

 
 

January 11, 2013 1:18 pm  #228


Re: The Hobbit- update release dates etc.

I finally got to see The Hobbit in 3D lt night. I really enjoyed it. Some of the performances were amazing, especially Andy's Gollum.

http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.gif


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdq1pcLCUR1rs9hrro1_500.jpg
     Thread Starter
 

January 24, 2013 9:12 am  #229


Re: The Hobbit- update release dates etc.

So, I'm putting this here, although suppose could start a new thread... just thought to keep all the Hobbit stuff together....
Still absolutely such a fan of the beautiful 'Misty Mountain' theme, and look what I stumbled across earlier....  this student got his friends together to play it on strings.  So.  Dang.  Pretty....  Thought some of you might appreciate the beautiful rendition of it as well.



_________________________________________________________________________

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.
 

February 25, 2013 7:16 pm  #230


Re: The Hobbit- update release dates etc.

Just found these gifs - scroll down a little. SO cute both of them!!
(And I DON'T mean Sherlock looking at the August calendar sheet!!  )
http://xistentialangst.tumblr.com/

Last edited by Mattlocked (February 25, 2013 7:17 pm)


__________________________________

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan
 

February 25, 2013 8:22 pm  #231


Re: The Hobbit- update release dates etc.

SusiGo wrote:

Carol the Dabbler wrote:

Good point, Susi, since his Smaug is a motion-capture character, so all we'll see of Cumberbatch is his facial expressions and movements. But does anyone know how the Necromancer was done? Is he a live-action character or another motion-cap?

I only read that he is voiced by Benedict so maybe we won't see the character but only hear his voice.

Yeah I don't think there's any Mo Cap with Smaug. There was for necromancer as they needed to use Ben to actually represent the Necromancer himself thus the Mo Cap. Smaug though my understanding is all CG. Plus Mo Cap really I don't think would work (I could be wrong) because the structure of the dragons face isn't anything like a human's (vs Gollum where Andy Serkis did it. Gollum as a humanoid character). Dragonkin is going to have to be CGI but I just love the fact that we will hear Ben and Martin talking to each other in different characters. I can't wait for that!


Thank you for your questions, now sod off and go do something useful --- Martin Freeman 3/1/13
 

February 25, 2013 8:33 pm  #232


Re: The Hobbit- update release dates etc.

Not sure if this belongs here but what do you thinkt about The Hobbit not winning a singel Oscar? I mean, I know, it's just the Oscars and I don't really care about them actually but still... I watched the production blog and after seeng the work on the hair of all of these dwarfs I think they at least deserved an oscar in that category. And I personally think that Moartin Freeman would have deserved a nominatioan as best actor in a leading role as well, but who knows how the jury makes it's decisions anyway...

 

February 25, 2013 9:18 pm  #233


Re: The Hobbit- update release dates etc.

Myraya wrote:

Not sure if this belongs here but what do you thinkt about The Hobbit not winning a singel Oscar? I mean, I know, it's just the Oscars and I don't really care about them actually but still... I watched the production blog and after seeng the work on the hair of all of these dwarfs I think they at least deserved an oscar in that category. And I personally think that Moartin Freeman would have deserved a nominatioan as best actor in a leading role as well, but who knows how the jury makes it's decisions anyway...

I greatly appreciate the work that has been done with the Hobbit - I think it was for me one of the greatest cinema experience this year. I only partially agree with you here, though; yes, i think the team deserved an oscar for make-up and production design, too. Special effects was also good, but those from Life of Pi were a lot more stunning.

I'm a big fan of Mr Freeman and I especially loved his performance as Bilbo the Hobbit, taking the primary elements of Bilbo and making his own interpretation - you could feel how much heart and effort he put in there.

To get nominated and win an oscar is more about being able to portray a complex character admirably and some other critical stuff, and Bilbo wasn't that complex of a character. Those actors nominated did a fantastic job with their role, and Daniel-Day Lewis deserved that Oscar.

But hey, I'm already very happy to know that the Hobbit got three nominations for the Oscars. I think it's important to point out - to remind people that being nominated (let alone three times) is already a HUGE accomplishment and demonstrates the fact that people recognize the film's potential.

Oh yeah, and one final thing: maybe they didn't win an Oscar, but they've won the trophy of my own heart. That's how great I think the film was, and no one's going to change my opinion on that.


~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~
"The Sherlock show is the equivalent of a pack of chips, a box full of popcorn or an assortment of the finest Swiss chocolate; once you start, YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO STOP. EVER. IT'S THAT GOOD." quoted by me when trying to convince my friends to watch the show.

If you want to check out my music works, here's my youtube page: http://www.youtube.com/user/JayhanTheMusician?feature=mhee
If you like my works, then like my facebook page ;D : https://www.facebook.com/Julia.Jayhan.Handschin
 

February 25, 2013 9:27 pm  #234


Re: The Hobbit- update release dates etc.

Russell wrote:

So, I'm putting this here, although suppose could start a new thread... just thought to keep all the Hobbit stuff together....
Still absolutely such a fan of the beautiful 'Misty Mountain' theme, and look what I stumbled across earlier.... this student got his friends together to play it on strings. So. Dang. Pretty.... Thought some of you might appreciate the beautiful rendition of it as well.


That video is fantastic! It's always so inspiring to see when musicians gather and play this beautiful theme. It's incredibly dramatic and well done! :D
While we're at it, I think I'll also share with you all a Misty Mountains cover I've made a while back. XP



~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~
"The Sherlock show is the equivalent of a pack of chips, a box full of popcorn or an assortment of the finest Swiss chocolate; once you start, YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO STOP. EVER. IT'S THAT GOOD." quoted by me when trying to convince my friends to watch the show.

If you want to check out my music works, here's my youtube page: http://www.youtube.com/user/JayhanTheMusician?feature=mhee
If you like my works, then like my facebook page ;D : https://www.facebook.com/Julia.Jayhan.Handschin
 

February 25, 2013 11:03 pm  #235


Re: The Hobbit- update release dates etc.

Jayhan wrote:

Myraya wrote:

Not sure if this belongs here but what do you thinkt about The Hobbit not winning a singel Oscar? I mean, I know, it's just the Oscars and I don't really care about them actually but still... I watched the production blog and after seeng the work on the hair of all of these dwarfs I think they at least deserved an oscar in that category. And I personally think that Moartin Freeman would have deserved a nominatioan as best actor in a leading role as well, but who knows how the jury makes it's decisions anyway...

I greatly appreciate the work that has been done with the Hobbit - I think it was for me one of the greatest cinema experience this year. I only partially agree with you here, though; yes, i think the team deserved an oscar for make-up and production design, too. Special effects was also good, but those from Life of Pi were a lot more stunning.

I'm a big fan of Mr Freeman and I especially loved his performance as Bilbo the Hobbit, taking the primary elements of Bilbo and making his own interpretation - you could feel how much heart and effort he put in there.

To get nominated and win an oscar is more about being able to portray a complex character admirably and some other critical stuff, and Bilbo wasn't that complex of a character. Those actors nominated did a fantastic job with their role, and Daniel-Day Lewis deserved that Oscar.

But hey, I'm already very happy to know that the Hobbit got three nominations for the Oscars. I think it's important to point out - to remind people that being nominated (let alone three times) is already a HUGE accomplishment and demonstrates the fact that people recognize the film's potential.

Oh yeah, and one final thing: maybe they didn't win an Oscar, but they've won the trophy of my own heart. That's how great I think the film was, and no one's going to change my opinion on that.

I think also (in terms of the acting) the Academy views this whole thing as one film. They will render their judgments after There and Back Again. Based on what happens in The Hobbit from here on forward, I think Freeman has a shot at an Oscar Nomination (not spoiling it for anyone who has not read the book)


Thank you for your questions, now sod off and go do something useful --- Martin Freeman 3/1/13
 

February 27, 2013 1:26 am  #236


Re: The Hobbit- update release dates etc.

I LOVED THE HOBBIT!!! I am already a huge Tolkien fan and loved the Lord of the Rings movies so it was exciting to see Martin in a setting that I already loved.
All the complaints I've seen or heard about The Hobbit seem pretty stupid to me.
'Ian Holms should have been at the start, not that other guy' ... uh he was. This was from a clearly uneducated friend.
'The eagles belong in LOTR not The Hobbit' uh have you read the book??
'They just keep getting in trouble' no seriously have you read the book?? There is a chapter called 'Out of the Frying Pan and into the Fire' for a reason!
'It doesn't have as much action as LOTR' how can you compare 1 film to a trilogy?? If you really need to then compare An Unexpected Journey to Fellowship. This has more action than Fellowship.
'How can they split 1 book into 3 movies? Money grubbing!' Possibly true but I trust Peter Jackson's interpretation. He's adding more from the appendices from LOTR to the story so we understand the story and connection better.

Basically I was mentally desk flipping at each of the comments I've heard.

I think the fact it's compared to the complete LOTR trilogy (and thus not as good because it's not complete) that prevented it from getting any Oscars. Martin definately deserves to be nominated!


================================================================
http://i.imgur.com/xVw8L.jpg
 

February 27, 2013 7:25 am  #237


Re: The Hobbit- update release dates etc.

I think the reason Martin did not get a nomination is that Bilbo does not have the personality to show full range of acting ability. Don't get me wrong I loved the original story and the film but the character is not tremendously complex.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdq1pcLCUR1rs9hrro1_500.jpg
     Thread Starter
 

February 27, 2013 7:30 am  #238


Re: The Hobbit- update release dates etc.

Thanks, Davina.
Heated debate on Twitter about this.
I honestly think it's a matter of timing:  Look at the films and performances it was up against.
I was delighted for Daniel.
I agree too, loved the film and Martin's role...but not ground breaking.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the
 

February 27, 2013 9:51 am  #239


Re: The Hobbit- update release dates etc.

Michele wrote:

I LOVED THE HOBBIT!!! I am already a huge Tolkien fan and loved the Lord of the Rings movies so it was exciting to see Martin in a setting that I already loved.
All the complaints I've seen or heard about The Hobbit seem pretty stupid to me.
'Ian Holms should have been at the start, not that other guy' ... uh he was. This was from a clearly uneducated friend.
'The eagles belong in LOTR not The Hobbit' uh have you read the book??
'They just keep getting in trouble' no seriously have you read the book?? There is a chapter called 'Out of the Frying Pan and into the Fire' for a reason!
'It doesn't have as much action as LOTR' how can you compare 1 film to a trilogy?? If you really need to then compare An Unexpected Journey to Fellowship. This has more action than Fellowship.
'How can they split 1 book into 3 movies? Money grubbing!' Possibly true but I trust Peter Jackson's interpretation. He's adding more from the appendices from LOTR to the story so we understand the story and connection better.

Basically I was mentally desk flipping at each of the comments I've heard.

I think the fact it's compared to the complete LOTR trilogy (and thus not as good because it's not complete) that prevented it from getting any Oscars. Martin definately deserves to be nominated!

YEAH, gimme a high five! *raises hand*

This Hobbit trilogy... You know, I WELCOME that idea; it's like reliving my childhood all over again, waiting and getting excited for the next epic movie of an epic saga, knowing that it's going to be good because there are a lot of amazing people working on the film.

I have a feeling that these raving, upset people are oblivious to the fact that while the film is based on the book the Hobbit, Peter Jackson actually added more elements from other books, such as the Silmarillion. If some of you read the Hobbit book (I've only read up to the point where the first film ends, so no spoilers!), then you'll see that the movie succeeded better in establishing a bridge between these different stories than the book did (so far, at least); did you know that J.R.R. Tolkien tried to rewrite the Hobbit after having published all LotR books? He wanted to make a more apparent connection with LotR, so he tried rewriting the Hobbit. But less than halfway there, he realized that too much needed to be changed, an incredible effort that demanded just too much of his time. Peter Jackson did what Tolkien originally set out to do, and I think he did a fantastic job with that.

This new movie trilogy is one way of telling Bilbo's story, but also giving an interesting background to the LotR saga and exploring some elements of it. Plus, from what I've heard, the last film will focus more on the transition from the Hobbit storyline to the Lord of the Rings saga. I'm really curious and excited to see how it'll turn out.

I have complete faith in Peter Jackson. He's a fantastic director in my books. ;D


~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~
"The Sherlock show is the equivalent of a pack of chips, a box full of popcorn or an assortment of the finest Swiss chocolate; once you start, YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO STOP. EVER. IT'S THAT GOOD." quoted by me when trying to convince my friends to watch the show.

If you want to check out my music works, here's my youtube page: http://www.youtube.com/user/JayhanTheMusician?feature=mhee
If you like my works, then like my facebook page ;D : https://www.facebook.com/Julia.Jayhan.Handschin
 

February 27, 2013 10:57 pm  #240


Re: The Hobbit- update release dates etc.

Jayhan wrote:

YEAH, gimme a high five! *raises hand*

This Hobbit trilogy... You know, I WELCOME that idea; it's like reliving my childhood all over again, waiting and getting excited for the next epic movie of an epic saga, knowing that it's going to be good because there are a lot of amazing people working on the film.

I have a feeling that these raving, upset people are oblivious to the fact that while the film is based on the book the Hobbit, Peter Jackson actually added more elements from other books, such as the Silmarillion. If some of you read the Hobbit book (I've only read up to the point where the first film ends, so no spoilers!), then you'll see that the movie succeeded better in establishing a bridge between these different stories than the book did (so far, at least); did you know that J.R.R. Tolkien tried to rewrite the Hobbit after having published all LotR books? He wanted to make a more apparent connection with LotR, so he tried rewriting the Hobbit. But less than halfway there, he realized that too much needed to be changed, an incredible effort that demanded just too much of his time. Peter Jackson did what Tolkien originally set out to do, and I think he did a fantastic job with that.

This new movie trilogy is one way of telling Bilbo's story, but also giving an interesting background to the LotR saga and exploring some elements of it. Plus, from what I've heard, the last film will focus more on the transition from the Hobbit storyline to the Lord of the Rings saga. I'm really curious and excited to see how it'll turn out.

I have complete faith in Peter Jackson. He's a fantastic director in my books. ;D

*HIGH FIVE*

I've read the book twice and he is definately being very true to the book as well as including the background history. Tolkien created sucha complex interesting history of Middle Earth that it's great to see more of it being used. Unfortunately I think that The Hobbit trilogy will be the last adventure we get to see on the big screen. While Tolkien has so many other books that are amazing I suspect that none would be made into films simply because LOTR and The Hobbit are the best known ones.

Without giving too much away the story just gets better!
I'm wondering Jayhan how you managed to stop reading the book though. Once I had it in my hand I could barely put it down!


================================================================
http://i.imgur.com/xVw8L.jpg
 

Board footera

 

Powered by Boardhost. Create a Free Forum