BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 16, 2012 6:59 pm  #1

The LA Times loves Sherlock, too

I have no doctor in comparative literature but as for the rest … 

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/showtracker/la-et-st-year-in-review-best-television,0,3776013.story

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 16, 2012 7:37 pm  #2

Re: The LA Times loves Sherlock, too

"... and Martin Freeman as Dr. James Watson."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

December 16, 2012 7:40 pm  #3

James aka Hamish 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 17, 2012 12:21 am  #4

Harriet wrote:

James aka Hamish 

Ha...  so, really, she's just continuing the same name goof our favorite author famously committed?  ;)
(Not to mention she also misspelled Miller's name and just a slightly wrong wording of 'the other show' Moffat and Gatiss are from.... interesting, considering her apparent knowledge otherwise of much further background details about Doyle and his stories...   Huh.   Nice to see all these trumpeting articles lately, though!)

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

December 17, 2012 9:06 am  #5

"our favorite author"? Love you! 

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 17, 2012 3:42 pm  #6

Goodness! Only women with PhDs in Comparative Literature? The final part made me laugh aloud! Mr. Rochester married in the end. Actually Mr. Rochester was already married at the start of 'Jane Eyre' otherwise who is his mad wife? It is Jane Eyre who 'finally' marries.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

December 17, 2012 7:50 pm  #7

Harriet wrote:

"our favorite author"? Love you! 

I'm..... bemusedly flattered... curious... confused!!  Not sure who each of us is referring to.  Certainly thought it was great you seemed to 'get' the name thing, hence quoting it as basis of my comment, but I was referring to Doyle's (our original favorite.... yes...?  ;)) infamous silly name mix-ups... such as having indeed called John James for one story (leading to the literary suggestions of the James/Hamish middle name thing).. and even so far as calling Mrs. Hudson Mrs. Turner at one point!  (which Moftiss even wrote into one ep!  ;D)

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

December 17, 2012 8:03 pm  #8

Oh    I thought of another author who suggested James as a worthy reading of Hamish and wrote way better than ACD, imho
(go, ostracize  me, everybody  )

Last edited by Harriet (December 17, 2012 8:05 pm)

December 17, 2012 8:30 pm  #9

Oh, you're committing high treason, Harriet.  But I understand you, she's one of my favourite authors as well (and not only where crime fiction is concerned).

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 18, 2012 4:07 am  #10

I... oh...  I actually have no idea who you're talking about, then.....      
I just thought it was amusing the classic name mix-up thing came up again, as that comes from what Doyle did, and have no other explanation for why an otherwise informed article writer got the names she did wrong.

December 18, 2012 7:08 am  #11

It's Dorothy L. Sayers, the creator of the wonderful Lord Peter Wimsey. She wrote a short essay suggesting that the H in John Watson's name is for Hamish. 

December 18, 2012 10:33 am  #12

Sorry for troubling you, Russell 

December 18, 2012 11:46 am  #13

I, too, had no idea what was being talked about.  Is Sayers' essay available online?   The Lord Peter books are my favorite series of all time and I'd love to read this essay.  (P.S.  Ian Carmichael was great!)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

December 18, 2012 11:59 am  #14

Love YOU, then, Sherli 

Dorothy L. Sayers, "Dr. Watson's Christian Name," in Unpopular Opinions (London: Victor Gollancz, 1946), 148–151.
This book is an essay book with even more Sherlock Holmes related essays. Haven't read at and don't know if it's online available 

December 18, 2012 12:04 pm  #15

Oh, Sherli, Harriet, another one for the club.  I loved Ian Carmichael as Peter when I was a girl.

December 18, 2012 3:15 pm  #16

Oh, so she's the one who suggested it?  I knew of the name theory... didn't know it was from her particular essay.   

December 18, 2012 3:54 pm  #17

Ian Carmichael was just lovely wasn't he. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

December 18, 2012 3:59 pm  #18

Oh, yes. A pity they didn't film more novels with him. Would have love to see him with Harriet. 

December 18, 2012 4:54 pm  #19

They found that was too big a challenge 

December 18, 2012 5:51 pm  #20

Sorry, I forgot the lady was among us. 

Board footera