BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 15, 2012 10:36 pm  #61

Re: The Hobbit

But he has the cheekbones and the elves eyes..............   
Sorry, Harriet. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

December 15, 2012 10:41 pm  #62

But he can't play every role in The Hobbit, can he?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

December 15, 2012 10:42 pm  #63

The face is perfect. I just can't imagine him with long, straight hair. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 15, 2012 10:51 pm  #64

tobeornot221b wrote:

But he can't play every role in The Hobbit, can he?

No? 

He could wear the hair like this maybe. Bond on top, a bit lower an elf  :

Last edited by Mattlocked (December 15, 2012 10:55 pm)

December 15, 2012 11:04 pm  #65

Looks a bit like Lucius Malfoy.  He could wear long hear, but curly and with a plait like 18th century gentlemen. Maybe they could create a slightly different elvish style for him.

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 15, 2012 11:07 pm  #66

Mattlocked wrote:

Do you wear glasses? I was wearing the 3D ones over my own.

No, it's just that my eyes don't cooperate anymore so there is no third dimension for me. I think there are a lot of people who have that problem.

I don't think Benedict could play any other role in The Hobbit. Too tall for a hobbit or a dwarf, too young for a magician, too good looking for an ork, and an elf ... no.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

December 15, 2012 11:10 pm  #67

QuiteExtraordinary wrote:

I don't think Benedict could play any other role in The Hobbit. Too tall for a hobbit or a dwarf, too young for a magician, too good looking for an ork, and an elf ... no.

...and a horse? Noooooooooo!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

December 15, 2012 11:12 pm  #68

Are there any otters in The Hobbit? There were hedgehogs.

December 16, 2012 2:22 am  #69

I thought overall it was a good and entertaining movie. The humor isn't as corny as in the LOTR trilogy which was nice. One of the problems was the pacing and the fact that whenever there's a fight, it's pretty much on the move. You'll know what I mean when you see it.

At parts the CGI actually looked worse than in the trilogy, for instance Smaug's tail looked like from a modern low-budget movie like THE HOST or something. It looked bad in other places too. Then again some CGI characters looked really good. Not sure what happened there.

The music is epic and I like the dwarves. Their singing at Bilbo's flat sounded great. I think Freeman was a great choice to play Bilbo. It was also nice seeing familiar faces from the trilogy (even though they didn't actually appear in the book) and I'd recommend this to fans of the earlier films.

It didn't bring that feel of amazement that FELLOWSHIP did when it came out and even though there's two more movies to be seen, I think it would've worked a lot better if they'd made two movies of 2 hours lenght. Already this first film seems quite unnecessarily stretched.

I gave it 4 out of 5.

Last edited by Dramagod (December 16, 2012 2:23 am)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

December 16, 2012 7:19 am  #70

There's always an argument for the discipline of having to ditch stuff onto the cutting room floor. Hope to get to see it over the next week or so.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

December 16, 2012 11:01 am  #71

Mattlocked wrote:

Are there any otters in The Hobbit? There were hedgehogs.

Didn't see otters. What a shame. But the little sick hedgehog was cute, made me think of Martin. 

December 16, 2012 11:39 am  #72

I don't think elves need that very long and straight hair... a little long, fine, curly, very fine 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 16, 2012 11:52 am  #73

Harriet wrote:

I don't think elves need that very long and straight hair... a little long, fine, curly, very fine 

Fine, so that's a deal. He'll be Smaug, the Necromancer and an curly elf in part 2 and 3. 

December 16, 2012 11:58 am  #74

But please, he should not be too busy for season 4 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 17, 2012 2:01 am  #75

Nikoleta wrote:

I loved The Hobbit! It was an enjoyable movie, especially since I got to see Martin Freeman all the time. But did anyone else see Benedict Cumberbatch's name in the credits or was it just me? I sCREAMED and kept on asking 'Where was he?! I didn't see him in the movie! But how?' Turns out he was the Necromancer. We barely saw him. But still, the thought of the two of them together in one film...

Benedict is also Smaug the dragon

OH and speaking of elves - did anyone else notice Bret from Flight of the Concords?? I was excited to see him back as an elf! And longer screen time!

Last edited by Sam (December 17, 2012 2:06 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------
SH: "Brilliant, Anderson."
Anderson: "Really?"
SH: "Yes. Brilliant impression of an idiot."

December 17, 2012 12:07 pm  #76

Sam wrote:

Nikoleta wrote:

I loved The Hobbit! It was an enjoyable movie, especially since I got to see Martin Freeman all the time. But did anyone else see Benedict Cumberbatch's name in the credits or was it just me? I sCREAMED and kept on asking 'Where was he?! I didn't see him in the movie! But how?' Turns out he was the Necromancer. We barely saw him. But still, the thought of the two of them together in one film...

OH and speaking of elves - did anyone else notice Bret from Flight of the Concords?? I was excited to see him back as an elf! And longer screen time!

Yes! Just last viewing I noticed he's also at the council of Elrond scene in FELLOWSHIP. Earlier I thought he's only in the "we cannot linger" -scene in RETURN. It gave me a smile that he had a bigger role in The Hobbit even though he plays a different elf. He looks so different without his Conchords beard.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

December 17, 2012 11:10 pm  #77

Just watched the BBC programme Film 2012 review. Hmmm.... The big positive from both reviewers was Martin Freeman.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

December 18, 2012 8:14 pm  #78

Sam wrote:

Nikoleta wrote:

But when I watched it Smaug didn't talk... The film ended with only seeing him... Well however, we did watch it in German, so I wouldn't have recognized his great voice...

December 18, 2012 8:34 pm  #79

Lelli wrote:

But when I watched it Smaug didn't talk... The film ended with only seeing him... Well however, we did watch it in German, so I wouldn't have recognized his great voice...

You're right, he didn't talk. But I think just the fact his character(s) makes an appearance is enough for credits.

----------------------------------------------------------------
SH: "Brilliant, Anderson."
Anderson: "Really?"
SH: "Yes. Brilliant impression of an idiot."

December 19, 2012 2:33 am  #80

I saw "The Hobbit" yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it.  I will admit up-front that I'm not a huge LOTR fan.  I did enjoy all the movies and the special effects, but I found myself bored with the numerous epic battles. I also get annoyed with the fantasy genre when magic seems to come out of nowhere in order to save the day.  I like "special powers" to be more grounded, with limits and perhaps some science behind them. So, in some ways "The Hobbit"  was continuation of this style; the difference being that there seemed to be a more childlike quality to it. It seemed like a fairy tale rather than an epic allegory. Which was fine.  But frankly, I wasn't there for the movie, I was there for Martin.  And I thought he was perfect.  Yes, there was a lot of 'John' in Bilbo because Martin's mannerisms and voice inflections are uniquely his; but there were differences in the way Bilbo was portrayed. John is rock solid, quiet, with inner strength. Bilbo is nervous and tense and only finds his inner strength later as the adventure unfolds.  In an interview Martin described his Bilbo as having hyper-viligent meerkat-like qualities.  I could see that. He was quite adorable and funny.  I want to see the movie again in 2D so I can just concentrate on the story and the characters and not the effects.
I did get to see the Star Trek preview which was nice - but not enough Ben in it for my my taste; but nice to know we have something wonderful to look forward to in May or June!

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

Board footera