BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 12, 2012 7:22 pm  #41

Re: The Hobbit

True.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

December 12, 2012 9:03 pm  #42

MycroftHolmes wrote:

sounds so wrong

true... -.-
I was like "No... f****** way!" when I heard it on TV... but I think I'll have to get used to it...

Mattlocked wrote:

Search for an original version (OV or OmU); I'm doing the same right now. Not easy when you live in a small town.....

We live near a bigger city where there are English ones... but we can't go there just now... it needs a bit more planning and it's always so crowded because everyone wants to look the hobbit... We are going to watch it in English, no matter what!

December 13, 2012 2:16 pm  #43

Lelli wrote:

MycroftHolmes wrote:

sounds so wrong

true... -.-
I was like "No... f****** way!" when I heard it on TV... but I think I'll have to get used to it...

Mattlocked wrote:

Search for an original version (OV or OmU); I'm doing the same right now. Not easy when you live in a small town.....

We live near a bigger city where there are English ones... but we can't go there just now... it needs a bit more planning and it's always so crowded because everyone wants to look the hobbit... We are going to watch it in English, no matter what!

Of course. And when we go watching it in english after that, we can forget the german-voice. 

I watched the trailer in English, and I really enjoyed Martin in Bilbos role. A few days ago there was a great article about him in our (swiss!!) newspaper and they talked about his fantastic way of acting... We are probably go to watch it on Monday (in German, first), and then in english, too. I just CAN'T wait to see our lovely Martin in his cuddly new role! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

«Oh! How? What does that matter? So we go 'round the sun. If we went 'round the moon or round and round the garden like a teddy bear it wouldn't make any difference. All that matters to me is the work. Without that my brain rots. Put that in your blog. Or better still, stop inflicting your opinions on the world»

December 13, 2012 10:59 pm  #44

I'm just back from the cinema and I might need now a little recovery from that fantastic floods of pictures in 3D (oh - those unbelievable landscapes!). Though I've never been into that fantasy stuff I liked the film a lot. And Martin is just - wow! Many similarities to John Watson (in furry feet and braces) - an "ordinary" person who gets drawn  into an adventure and proven his worth by saving his friends. Wonderful acting - to die for!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

December 14, 2012 12:03 am  #45

tobeornot221b wrote:

And Martin is just - wow! Many similarities to John Watson (in furry feet and braces) - an "ordinary" person who gets drawn  into an adventure and proven his worth by saving his friends. Wonderful acting - to die for!

Sqweee!  Martin = John = Bilbo = John.  Makes my day!  I can't wait.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

December 14, 2012 9:13 am  #46

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Valentine:  Do you know the stars, Mr Tietjens?
Christopher:  I despise astronomy.

December 14, 2012 3:29 pm  #47

Oh my Rowling. I went to the midnight premiere last night and The Hobbit was freaking awesome! I could see a lot of John in Bilbo, but maybe that was just me being an obsessed little Sherlockian. So awesome. But now I need sleep. *trying to get through school day on three hours of sleep*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You're so nice
You're not good, you're not bad
You're just nice

I'm not good, I'm not nice
I'm just right
I'm the witch
You're the world" - The Witch, Into the Woods

December 14, 2012 10:04 pm  #48

I loved it as well! So good!

----------------------------------------------------------------
SH: "Brilliant, Anderson."
Anderson: "Really?"
SH: "Yes. Brilliant impression of an idiot."

December 15, 2012 1:54 pm  #49

Found the TolkienTimes today at our local bookstore.
While I was driving home, hubby read one of the sentences to me:
"Mit fantastischer Detailtreue, irrsinnigen Effekten (spektakulär: Dominic Cumberbatch als Drache Smaug) und....."

I think I remember someone else made this mistake before. But I had to laugh so hard that I almost lost my way.

December 15, 2012 2:10 pm  #50

I read that one as well. They seemed to remember it was quite a religious name.   

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 15, 2012 3:50 pm  #51

I loved The Hobbit! It was an enjoyable movie, especially since I got to see Martin Freeman all the time. But did anyone else see Benedict Cumberbatch's name in the credits or was it just me? I sCREAMED and kept on asking 'Where was he?! I didn't see him in the movie! But how?' Turns out he was the Necromancer. We barely saw him. But still, the thought of the two of them together in one film...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey 

"Look at that, Mrs. Hudson. Quiet. Calm. Peaceful. Isn't it hateful?"

December 15, 2012 9:22 pm  #52

I just returned from the cinema. I love the film, it's epic and often funny and made with much love for detail … Martin's wonderful, his startled reactions often reminded me of "Sherlock". I think it's work in its own right, not just the prequel to "Lord of the Rings". 2013 - what a year to look forward to. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 15, 2012 9:47 pm  #53

SusiGo wrote:

Martin's wonderful, his startled reactions often reminded me of "Sherlock".

I noticed that, too... He seemed to use the same puzzled looks for Baggins as he uses for Watson.

I enjoyed the movie. We saw it with the 48 frames per second with 3D, and with some fancy RDX sound (or something like that). I'm not sure I noticed a difference about the sound, but I really appreciated the 48 frames per second in the action scenes - things were much clearer than with 24 frames per second. I didn't find the 3D added much, though.

December 15, 2012 9:49 pm  #54

My, I think I should go and see it. It always takes me so long to make such decision 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 15, 2012 9:56 pm  #55

Just returned, too.
I think I didn't close my mouth until the end.
I really loved Martin's facial expressions - as always. On our way back home we agreed, that it's not Bilbo or John he uses them for - it is Martin!
Loved the scene in the house, the scene with Gollum, the landscapes........
Didn't mind if it's 3D or not, but in my opinion it actually made the film even better. I ducked a lot! 

Great. We will go there again. Maybe original version then.

December 15, 2012 9:59 pm  #56

Did you have Star Trek, too?

December 15, 2012 10:00 pm  #57

I would really like to watch it, but our local cinema here only shows it in 3D. I can't see 3D properly because my left eye is damaged, and I don't want to buy an expensive ticket to watch three hours of a blurry something that is supposed to be the Hobbit. Why can't they just show normal regular films anymore? So either I'll have to drive about half an hour to another town where they also show it in 2D (at least they say so on their website) or I'll have to wait for the DVD to come out. Well, it's probably more fun with the original voices anyway.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

December 15, 2012 10:16 pm  #58

Do you wear glasses? I was wearing the 3D ones over my own.

Yeees.... but the pictures were so quick. I wanted to tell hubby - go back and still the pic!!

What I had to think about during The Hobbit: Ben would have been a great elf, too!

Last edited by Mattlocked (December 15, 2012 10:16 pm)

December 15, 2012 10:28 pm  #59

Benedict as an elf - interesting idea. Except for the ears and the long hair. The hair would be definitely odd. 

December 15, 2012 10:29 pm  #60

SusiGo wrote:

Benedict as an elf - interesting idea. Except for the ears and the long hair. The hair would be definitely odd. 

THUD

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

Board footera