BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 2, 2012 2:17 pm  #1

I need some advice (totally and crazily off-topic)

I'll try to explain myself the best I can. Here's the thing.

As some of you may know (or not) Spain is going through an awful finantial and social situation. The unemployment rates are terrible and our government is starting to make some terrifying cuts at all levels. So, I'm starting to get a bit concerned about my future and... well, I've decided maybe this is the time to do something I've always wanted but not really dared to do. Leaving. I think I need it to really grow profesionally and personally it would be a terrific experience, I'm sure.

My first idea is going to UK (not just because of the language, I really adored London and Cambridge, the two places I got to know when I went there) and I'm trying to find some information about work conditions and all that stuff there. Obviously, I'd prefer to work as a music teacher (that's my main formation) but I wouldn't mind doing almost any other thing (I think I could be a quite good Spanish teacher also).

And now the advice I need... How is the situation there in Britain? Do you think it's a good idea to move there? I'm a quite adaptable person, believe me, the different way of life would not turn me down (maybe the weather just a bit). But I would like to know how things are going on there and if you think there's room for people "overseas". And in fact, another thing... if I wanted to seek a job teaching music, how is the system over there? Do you have music teachers in every school, are there a lot or few conservatories and music schools?

Well, maybe this rant is a bit akward, but I thought I could try... any help will be truly welcome.
And thanks for reading if you got here!! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

April 2, 2012 3:27 pm  #2

Re: I need some advice (totally and crazily off-topic)

Hello! First of all, sorry to hear you're thinking about leaving Spain but I'm happy to hear you're thinking of coming to join us all in sunny UK!

The economic situation isn't great here either at the moment, although I guess that's the same for most places. Not sure what it's like compared to Spain. Music is taught in pretty much all school so there should be plenty of opportunities for jobs. I did a quick Google search for "Teaching Jobs UK"...there's quite a few sites where you can search for specific jobs:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&hl=en-GB&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGNI_en-GBGB464GB464&q=teaching+jobs+uk

I think people are always looking for teachers to be honest.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 2, 2012 7:12 pm  #3

Thanks so much, Sherlock! I'm taking a look to your link, it's full of interesting things...

I know the situation is pretty bad all around Europe and maybe I won't solve anything by leaving my homeland but... I see it like some sort of adventure. I've always had this "dream" of living some time abroad but my circumstances have prevented me from doing it. I'm working here right now, but I think the situation we have here (not as bad as Greece, but pretty bad indeed) is not letting me grow in any way and I need a real change... most of all emotionally.

So, I'll keep getting information and searching and I'll let you know if things turn out great and I finallly do it... or not. We'll see. I would also love to go to Germany or Austria (musical lands above all) but I would have a great problem with the language...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

April 2, 2012 10:38 pm  #4

I'd love to move to the UK but Australians get no visa for being part of the Commonwealth (GRRRRRR) unless we have a grandparent that was born there (you can't imagine how unimpressed I am that all four grandparents were born in Australia!) So the likelihood of me getting a working visa there is pretty remote. I'm definitely going to try in a few years though.

Sorry - can't offer any advice except to say that from the little research I've done the employment options in the UK are pretty limited - it's pretty crowded there at the moment! Not sure about music or Spanish teaching jobs though.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

April 2, 2012 10:56 pm  #5

Yeah, we're only a tiny country!

By the way, you should marry someone English - then you'll get a visa!

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 3, 2012 1:00 am  #6

An economy which is a lot stronger and one where the language might be easier for you is Brasil. I don't know about their education system with regards to employing teachers though or teaching Music or Spanish. The EU has free movement of labour so no need for a visa for Spaniards. Anyone else...just marrying a Brit won't necessarily get you a visa, can't be a marriage of convenience.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 3, 2012 7:43 am  #7

Thanks again... and yes, I have no problems about visas, being an european citizen, so I don't have to marry any English man (though I wouldn't mind to, given the case  ). I knew about Brazil, Davina, it's another good option, but they're looking specially for architects and that kind of profesionals and less for educators. I would prefer an European country because I would still be not too far away from my family, UK is the nearest one for me with a language I can manage with... I've been recommended too to have a look in Germany and Austria (musical reasons) and in the Nordic countries (Sweden, Holland, Norway or Finland). I'm open to anything so, who knows...

April 3, 2012 1:04 pm  #8

Teaching at an international level does offer decent packages, the ability to travel and develop yourself professionally.

Depending on your teaching qualification you could walk into a job anywhere in the world (UK included). Teaching at international schools will help keep you from the doldrums of general populous education and have children and colleagues who are undertaking modern pedagogical practises. Having strong English skills (Which apparently you do) opens up the world to you as English and Spanish are two of the strongest three languages on the planet. You may need to undertake a course like the International Baccalaureate once employed but having this only strengthens your ability to move onto other schools in the future. Schools generally pay for your additional training, depending upon your experience, and it makes you a strong candidate for consideration anywhere.

The best time to look for employment changes depending upon the season you are in and where in the semester your potential school is in, however keeping an eye on The TES employment section should give you an idea of the jobs available. South East Asia is an excellent place to start as there is a lot of growth there at the moment and jobs and training are fairly abundant.

Even teaching English as a foreign language can land you a role from which you can look to progress. Try asking around the forums of the TES if you would like fellow educators to aid you further.

I hope this information is of some use.

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

April 3, 2012 2:05 pm  #9

Of course it is of use, mOr, thanks a lot... I'll take a deep look to the links you've given me, they're all quite interesting too.
Guys, you're unbelievably kind. All of this is of great help, really. I'll keep you updated 

April 15, 2012 1:02 pm  #10

Oh, Irene, you should move to Australia.

We recently ranked 2nd, after Norway, as the best place in the world to live. The United Nations does an annual Human Development Index and we scored 93 points out of 100. The index compares 187 countries on factors including health, education, per-capita income and life expectancy. We have not been as badly affected by the Global Financial Crisis as the rest of the world because of our strong mining sector (selling everything we can pull out of the ground to China) and our well-regulated banking sector (no subprime mortgages and huge bankers bonuses here).

Other cool things about Oz - we have a female, unmarried, childless, atheist Prime Minister who lives in The Lodge (PM's residence) with her boyfriend, the First Bloke, and NOBODY CARES!

We are working on gay marriage and it is only a matter of time before it comes in. Why should only straight people be miserable? (joke).

Christmas is in the middle of summer, so the whole country goes to the beach, and talking of beaches, OMG, they are wonderful, just swim between the flags and watch out for sharks. If you live on the coast or in the northern areas, winter last for about 2 weeks and we complain if the temperature goes below 20C.

Plus Hugh Jackman, Cate Blanchett, Geoffrey Rush, Nicole Kidman (we still haven't forgiven Tom Cruise for what he did to Our Nicole), The Wiggles, Heath Ledger (RIP), Simon Baker, Miranda Kerr, Russell Crowe (really a Kiwi but we claim him), Eric Bana, Guy Pearce, Naomi Watts, Toni Collette, Portia de Rossi (Mrs Ellen de Generes), Judy Davis, I could go on and on and on....

So, when can we expect you? Actually, that's an open invitation to all on the site, including Benedict and Martin, who have both been just across the way in New Zealand filming The Hobbit. Can you imagine Sherlock in Australia? He wouldn't need his coat here!

Last edited by hepzibah (April 15, 2012 1:06 pm)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

April 15, 2012 2:02 pm  #11

Oh, hepzibah, thanks a lot for that invitation!!
Of course I know Australia is a great country and I'm really looking forward to visit it sometime... after watchings LotR trilogy I fell completely in love with New Zealand too, so... I definitely have to go sometime. The thing is I want to go somewhere not so far from my family, my friends and my homeland. I'm not scared of living in a foreign country but I know I will need to come here regularly and have my friends come to visit from time to time, I would really miss my people. And for me, Australia is exactly the opposite point of the world.
Anyway, that's something to think about, I can't say "never" you know... I may think about it too.
And good point about mentioning delightful Eric Bana. I love him, great actor and apparently one of the nicest men alive 

April 15, 2012 2:38 pm  #12

Hi Irene, thanks for your reply. I know a few people who have moved here from all around the globe and you know what? Eventually, their families move here too! My sister-in-law's dad was English, met my s-i-l's mum when she visited England, married her and moved here, then his brothers and sisters all followed him out. Happens all the time.

40% of Aussies were born overseas. In my previous job in a bank (boring) (oohh, a Sherlock reference) I worked with a guy who was Chinese, a man and a lady from India, a girl from Zimbabwe, a lady who was part Thai, part Lao, a girl of Indian heritgae from Fiji. My nephew's girlfriend's dad is from Chile, my housemate's parents are English, and I have Italian, Welsh and Irish ancestry. So everyone comes to Australia.

I know what you mean about Australia being so far away from Europe, it is a constant complaint with travellers going both ways. Someone needs to invent a time travel machine, maybe like a Time And Relative Dimension In Space, shortened to TARDIS, wait just a minute...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

April 16, 2012 1:31 pm  #13

Oh, yes, that TARDIS thing looks quite interesting 

I know it would be a great place to live, maybe my brother could even move there too, but not my parents... they're not young and I really don't see them there.
But who knows... It could be quite an experience. I'm not saying no to anything at the moment 

Board footera