BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 20, 2012 4:48 am  #1

Found this game on Tumblr

Welcome to a new game.

MapCrunch

Click on the link, you will get a google map up, YOU MUST SELECT "Hide Location" on the right hand side, make sure you have all countries unselected, (you can also select "Urban only" if you like) and click go. What this will do is drop you in a random part of the world. It’s as if you woke up on the side of a road in an unfamiliar country. The goal of the game is to find your way to an airport so you can return home.
If you are gonna be tough, no using google etc.
(I'm not having never been off Aussie soil in my life!)

http://www.mapcrunch.com/

I'm in the Netherlands, good grief!

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

February 20, 2012 2:14 pm  #2

Re: Found this game on Tumblr

Superb idea for a game! Great find Kazza.

I think I'm in a German town, off to start wondering around.

-m0r

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

February 20, 2012 4:39 pm  #3

Definitely going to have a go at this!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 20, 2012 8:22 pm  #4

Currently wandering around in some Korean city - the traffic scares me! 

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

February 23, 2012 7:58 pm  #5

Loooool I don't know where I am XD

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you eliminate the impossible,
What every remains,
However improbable,...
Must be the truth !

February 24, 2012 1:56 am  #6

I usually end up in some Nordic place in a back alleyway.
I pulled in to a petrol place, but the male in me wouldn't let me get out & ask directions! lol

Oh and true story, I got to an intersection & knew from the signs that I had to go down a certain road, but it was a one way street. So I kept moving around trying to find another way to get to that street.

Then I stopped and realised that I couldn't get in trouble for 'going down the one way street the wrong way!'

It's so realistic, I got carried away.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 13, 2012 5:05 am  #7

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 13, 2012 7:28 am  #8

Weather looks nice. I guessed between two possible countries and one was correct. Singapore. The traffic being the same side as here and the Chinese buildings and writing on a truck helped a bit.

Fun!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 13, 2012 3:19 pm  #9

darn.. I'm lost.. @_@ and too bad I'm bad with direction..

© unreasonablyme

I don't need a superheroes... I need hero just like Holmes. :3

December 5, 2012 5:45 am  #10

Just another reminder to fellow members about this - it's a fun little game to play by yourself!

I just ended up in Botswana and had to find my way to Sir Seretse Khama International Airport from outside of a pace called Gabane.

Finding the flow of traffic and signs of civilisation might seem simple enough in theory, but knowing which countries drive on which sides of their roads and recognising the alphabets they use as well as nuances which help celebrate their individual cultures is useful enough for a simple game.

I'd recommend it!

-m0r

December 5, 2012 4:57 pm  #11

Just tried it, and the picture that came up was of a group of five horses grazing on the side of a dirt road in what looks like a very poor rural area. Wish I knew how to put that picture up here--quite beautiful. Anyway, can't wait to figure out where I am. Haven't moved off the horses yet, and no signs, etc. to give a clue. I would say somewhere in S. America, judging by the style of houses, but we'll see...

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

December 5, 2012 5:23 pm  #12

m0r,

I appear to be in Gabane as well...

December 5, 2012 5:24 pm  #13

I can't find the option "hide your location". In the below right hand corner my location is always shown. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 5, 2012 5:26 pm  #14

When the page first opens, a window will be open on the right that asks, "Where to?", and lists a bunch of countries. Just close that window at the arrow, and you should be good.

December 5, 2012 5:38 pm  #15

Ah, thanks, will give it a try.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 5, 2012 5:47 pm  #16

Tantalus wrote:

m0r,

I appear to be in Gabane as well...

Must be a popular place this season!

Glad you had fun with it, I think it's a really cool game to play and if you cheat you are only cheating yourself.

For the record you can grab 'Print Screens' and post them if you find a place which is spectacular enough to share.

-m0r

December 5, 2012 6:47 pm  #17

Have you bumped into Mwa Ramotswe yet? Since we are interested in detectives.
Actually I've always wanted to visit Botswana and the Chobe National Park in particular.

December 5, 2012 7:03 pm  #18

I read one of the The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency books. Nice enough read, quite light but brings in nice subtle aspects of the culture there as well as being a stand alone story.

Apparently they've now added 'view of the day' so we all start off in the same place each day. Could be cool for competing if we can get rid of that widget down the bottom left.

That new Google Street View sister site they've got has me thinking of a treasure hunt type game...

-m0r

December 5, 2012 11:05 pm  #19

Hmmm! Interesting idea. Competitive? Me? Nah! 

I like the way Alexander McCall Smith captures the speech patterns, as well as the other cultural aspects.

December 5, 2012 11:52 pm  #20

Currently in Botswana on a dirt track in a field full of horses...

Good luck with that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

Board footera