BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 20, 2012 5:33 am  #21

Re: Jim'll Fix It

I too listen to them on my ipod when trying to get to sleep.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 20, 2012 10:43 am  #22

Thanks Davina. This is the type of Brit insider joke reference stuff we Americans need

I remember watching old reruns of The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin back in the day. Leonard Rossiter would make references to figures like Wedgwood Benn and the audience would roar. I would be sitting there saying: who the hell is he? 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disguise is always a self portrait

June 20, 2012 12:34 pm  #23

Go onto YouTube SP and you can listen to more of the brilliant Cabin Pressure with the amazing cast, including Benedict, of course. There is a Cabin Pressure thread in Benedict's topic on the board. I guarantee you'll love it. It is so funny and sometimes a little bit sad.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 27, 2012 2:03 pm  #24

There is an auction next Monday in Leeds of Jimmy Savile's  costumes etc. all proceeds will be going to charity. Which is nice.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18988640

Last edited by Davina (July 27, 2012 2:04 pm)

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

December 5, 2012 3:06 am  #25

It's amazing what can happen in 5 months isn't it?

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

December 5, 2012 2:15 pm  #26

Isn't it just! The complacency of the powers that be in what, admittedly, was a different time is frankly astonishing but not totally surprising in the light of other such, all too frequent, incidents.

December 5, 2012 3:10 pm  #27

I've got my tin foil hat on with this one.

The government is being investigated as to its involvement with yellow and unethical journalism and how it's corrupted every aspect of the UK's hierarchy down to individual police officers and high ranking ministers and security officials and then...something 'everyone' has known about for decades comes out which could collapse the BBC as it currently stands with 'staged' and uncharacteristic involvement from ITV (Which is partly owned by Sky - at least 17.9% officially) and now all eyes are on knee-jerk reaction.

Sure it's a bad thing and we might get a few more paedophiles off of the streets but by no means will this have the impact a proper unmitigated investigation would do which won't be green lit as those corruptions I mentioned earlier only get replaced by newer, sharper corruptions.

Quite the thing to watch from afar and I'm hoping the Beeb comes out of this with integrity and with more transparency and accountability but I think the plan is to trounce it rather than correct it.

-m0r

December 5, 2012 6:26 pm  #28

I agree wholeheartedly with what you say. It all seems most strange that things that were known about literally years ago and reported to the police were not acted upon properly then but become apparent once one perpetrator is dead and beyond any punishment. I too suspect that this has more to do with Beeb bashing than in seeking any true justice for the victims. I find the whole business very peculiar.

December 5, 2012 7:06 pm  #29

Good to know I'm not alone with my paranoia on this one Davina!

-m0r

Board footera