BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 3, 2012 8:16 pm  #1

Is it worth it?

To most of you this must be a stupid question but:

Is reading all the ACD Sherlock books worth it?

Let me explain:
I read the Hounds of Baskerville once and the story is great but that was a “easy reader† so that doesn’t count…
I’m natively speaking German but I don’t have problems with English but it still takes me a little more time to read in English, cause there are always one or two words I have to look up.
I’m an incredibly slow reader.
I only read in the evenings when I’m sleepy anyway.
When I read the stories, I’m afraid I might always imagine only Sherlock and John (BBC) and couldn’t focus on the real Sherlock and Watson…

That’s all the issues.
Now: My mom offered to give me the whole collection of the ACD Sherlock books for Christmas and I would love reading them but I’m afraid it’d take so much time. And we’re always reading books in school so I might not have enough time for Sherlock…
It would be a great way to be able to talk with you guys and to survive the time we have to wait until season three…

So what do you mean? With all this issues… Is it worth it?

MK

December 3, 2012 8:55 pm  #2

Re: Is it worth it?

Lelli wrote:

To most of you this must be a stupid question but:

I’m natively speaking German but I don’t have problems with English but it still takes me a little more time to read in English, cause there are always one or two words I have to look up.
I’m an incredibly slow reader.
I only read in the evenings when I’m sleepy anyway.
When I read the stories, I’m afraid I might always imagine only Sherlock and John (BBC) and couldn’t focus on the real Sherlock and Watson…

MK

It's not a stupid question at all. It is perfectly valid and rational.

Don't worry about only imagining the BBC versions of the characters. Even if you do I promise it will not take any enjoyment out of the books.

The BBC version was (thankfully) heavily influenced by the canon. You will probably envision the characters looking quite different once you start reading. However at the same time you will see the influences the stories had on the creation of the BBC series (and more fully appreciate the severe fanboy-ing that went on between the writers. )

TL;DR: It's worth it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

December 3, 2012 9:03 pm  #3

To be honest you may find that you can download the whole, entire original words in English for nothing as they are out of copyright. That is what I have done on my I-pad. If you can when you read them make a note/highlight the words you don't know but don't stop and look them up until later. Often then you can guess what the word must mean. I try to never look up a word in English when I am reading something in German. Just try to carry on reading and get in the flow of the story. That is more important.

As to whether it is worth reading them...you like Sherlock (a lot) that is good motivation to read the original stories. Personally I would. You will get far more from Sherlock (the series) if you do.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

December 3, 2012 9:24 pm  #4

Hubby has the free English version of ACD canon on his Kindle, too.
For me it also takes a lot of time to read long texts in English. Not easy. And then there are so many words I still don't understand.
But I still think it's worth to read the canon - just because of all the little pieces Gatiss and Moffat put into the BBC Sherlock. When I first heard of it, I said to my husband: "Ooops, what a waste - I almost know nothing from the canon!" Let's say it in German: "Perlen vor die Säue" 
So I am still willing to read the complete original. I started with Study in Pink and it was fun - especially when you have the BBC Sherlock in your mind all the time!
But my suggestion for you - as your mum wants to give it to you for Christmas: Why not start with a good translated German version? 

And if you don't manage to read it right now (or at least not all of it)...... maybe later. Was Du hast, hast Du. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

December 3, 2012 9:29 pm  #5

Davina wrote:

To be honest you may find that you can download the whole, entire original words in English for nothing as they are out of copyright. That is what I have done on my I-pad. If you can when you read them make a note/highlight the words you don't know but don't stop and look them up until later. Often then you can guess what the word must mean. I try to never look up a word in English when I am reading something in German. Just try to carry on reading and get in the flow of the story. That is more important.

As to whether it is worth reading them...you like Sherlock (a lot) that is good motivation to read the original stories. Personally I would. You will get far more from Sherlock (the series) if you do.

Because of looking up words: I don't do it often either... but there are some I just can't guess... not even with context...

And where did you download them? iBooks? if there's a link, could you post it?

MK

December 3, 2012 9:37 pm  #6

We don't have a Kindle but an iPad...
I don't want to read them on German... I think I might miss to much...
And further I don't tend to read stories again... It's like solving a case twice... not as interesting...
But thanks for your opinions

December 3, 2012 9:42 pm  #7

Lelli wrote:

I don't want to read them on German... I think I might miss to much...

I fully understand you, I think the same. But then again I think I miss so much because I don't understand. LOL

Don't worry, you can think it over...let's say.... every decade. Maybe you buy it when you're 50. And then you think: Oh my god, we were so young then!! 

December 3, 2012 9:48 pm  #8

If you have an I-pad there should be a library section set up on it. If you go on that there a loads of books. Some are free and some you have to buy. The Sherlock Holmes ones are free. You have to go into the bookstore, select the book you want and then download it onto your I-pad. I have also downloaded Faust and some other books in the original German to read as well as some Italian books.

Last edited by Davina (December 3, 2012 9:49 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

December 4, 2012 5:48 am  #9

I think the canon on its own merits is worth reading if you enjoy detective type books. It is where most others got their inspiration from. So while its not perfect in every detail, it certainly shows the origins of many modern day detective work AND forensic thinking in the real world.
So if you enjoy looking into modern history and want to be entertained, the canon is a good place to start.

As far as a BBC Sherlock fan deciding whether it is a good idea to read these stories, again I would say yes. To read these stories and get even part of the admiration, joy and pleasure from them that the creators have would help you understand many of the smaller things in the show.
I don't think anything can replace the experience of growing up with the canon in your literary life; developing sense of respect & awe for ACD's works and then carrying that through life with you; but certainly if you seriously want to get all that you can out of the BBC Sherlock experience I would never hesitate in suggesting you take the time and read as much of it as you can.

The creators of Sherlock will continue to add small nods to the canon in every show and will remain true to its intended 'agenda' and knowing this, you can easily start to summarise in your own mind what they will and will not do with the characters & storylines.

In the end it is your choice really; if you want to watch Sherlock for the eye candy and a bit of a detective story, then not understanding the canon is fine.
If you want to experience the sheer brilliance of Moftiss, you need to have a solid background knowledge of what is being presented before you. And there is no shortcut to that wisdom.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

December 4, 2012 5:15 pm  #10

For me, the book was worth it. I read it between the first and second seasons (I had more time in between because we don't get it as soon as the Brits on here). As to reading the book, it shows the genius of the producers(oh,and Sir ACD too...) and how much they incorporate the canon into the show.

Edit: the only part I struggled with in the book was when they started randomly speaking in French; does anyone else have french in their copies? Mine is from the 1930's...

Last edited by horserider99 (December 4, 2012 5:17 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Geniuses are often obsessive, and their clarity of intellectual insight can be depressing and isolating: by nature geniuses march to a different drum." - Ron Bracey

December 5, 2012 2:20 am  #11

Lelli wrote:

lol, good one 

I nearly assumed that this was a sincere question 

Of course, you are just teasing us Sherlockians 

Seriously, you will be astounished how much of the Gattis/Moffat-adaptation is actually from the original canon. You will love it!

December 5, 2012 3:12 pm  #12

Thanks to you all, for your input.

i started reading them on iBooks as Davina suggested and they're really great but also a bit difficult...
But I really like what I read up until now <3 (I mark all the parts remembering the BBC series ^^)

@Doctor: I was not kidding... i know it's worth it but I wanted to know whether you would recommend them to someone like me

MK

December 5, 2012 3:51 pm  #13

Yes.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

December 5, 2012 6:33 pm  #14

lol Sherlock... no beating around the bush, huh?
short and true

December 5, 2012 6:38 pm  #15

Lelli, I strongly recommend it, but I am a keen reader myself. I will have read all ACD stories by the age of 14.
I love the original stories after any adaptation I have seen - the BBC one and the Granada one.

Tout peut arriver dans la vie, et surtout rien.

December 5, 2012 9:37 pm  #16

Wolfhound wrote:

and the Granada one.

Yay, Jeremy. 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

December 6, 2012 3:17 pm  #17

Much of what I would have suggested has already been posted, so I will just add some advice based on my own experience:

Many ACD's Sherlock Holmes stories are short stories, around 20-50 pages long. They would therefore not take too long for you to get through, even if you don't have a lot of time or energy to read.
Also, if you feel overwhelmed by the sheer amount of stories and cases, why not start with "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" rather than buying the full collection? It consists of 12 short stories, the first one being "A Scandal in Bohemia", which would ease you into the world of ACD nicely. If you don't like e-books, just get a cheap paperback copy, you can get them from around 5 EUR.

As tempting as it may be, I would not recommend to start with " A Study in Scarlet", as it is a full novel (ca. 160 pages), and not really "typical" Sherlock Holmes at all.

Regarding the language, I pretty much agree with what everyone has said, maybe just two smalls thoughts on the side:
- While 19th Century language might be a little difficult to get used to, it is very consistent, i.e. once you have read a few stories, it will seem a lot easier.
- ACD's books are among the most popular worldwide, so please do not worry about reading a translation, they are very good. If you feel you would get more enjoyment out of reading the German version, by all means do. As Mattlocked pointed out, you might miss more by not precisely understanding a definition than by reading a good translation.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

December 6, 2012 3:35 pm  #18

I can only confirm what the others said.
And I think "A Scandal in Bohemia" is a good way to start, very enjoyable and you will recognise some nice touches from the series. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 6, 2012 6:15 pm  #19

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Wolfhound wrote:

and the Granada one.

Yay, Jeremy. 

Oh, oh, I do have a penchant for Jeremy!

Tout peut arriver dans la vie, et surtout rien.

December 8, 2012 12:41 pm  #20

For a special present I highly recommend this. I just got it so I didn't even start reading it, but I already just LOVE the whole book, how it is made and everything:

Last edited by Mattlocked (December 8, 2012 12:42 pm)

Board footera