BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 24, 2012 11:37 am  #1

Off to see The Hobbit (World Premiere in Wellington, New Zealand)

As I said: Off to see The Hobbit World Premiere in Wellington, New Zealand, on November 28 2012.

Will any other Board members attend? I'd love to catch up in person!

.. and everyone, please know that I will strive to get a Sherlockian message to Martin and hopefully also Benedict

.. it's only fair seeing how many of you are close to London - well, we are close to Middle-earth!

November 24, 2012 11:51 am  #2

Re: Off to see The Hobbit (World Premiere in Wellington, New Zealand)

Have lots of fun, Doctor! I'm a bit far from Middle Earth and hope you'll manage to convey your messages. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 24, 2012 8:22 pm  #3

Perhaps messages coded in runes? You know...to keep them on their toes (hairy ones).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

November 24, 2012 10:15 pm  #4

Awesome!! That will be so fun!

----------------------------------------------------------------
SH: "Brilliant, Anderson."
Anderson: "Really?"
SH: "Yes. Brilliant impression of an idiot."

November 24, 2012 11:46 pm  #5

You mean dwarvish runes? That could actually be arranged though dragon cupcakes have been suggested too!

November 25, 2012 6:19 pm  #6

As much as I would love to come, but New Zealand may just be little far for a weekend trip from Vienna ;-)

Have fun, knowing how much the rest of us here envy you!

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

December 3, 2012 3:15 am  #7

Can you spot the '221b'-banner? Once we decided to attend the World Premiere of 'The Hobbit' on Nov 28 2012 in Wellington, New Zealand, we started thinking about an original costume.

Thus I am introducing the 'Consulting Hobbit - Only One in Middle-earth'! And I made a banner with the lettering '221b' on it - we decided not to add Baker Street, and it worked a treat - no-one really 'got it'  but 'those in the know'.

I was fortunate to meet Mr. Martin Freeman in person a few days before the official celebrations, and he was incredible gracious.

December 3, 2012 3:17 am  #8

Then, on the premiere day, we managed to grab Martins' attention once the whole cast was on the Bag End stage, and all of a sudden he spotted us and waved, acknowledging us with the most surprised and then genuine smile! Now the banner will travel to London and I cannot wait to see Martins' expression once he sees it again!

December 3, 2012 3:18 am  #9

I should add that we are in the right lower corner - you can see the back of the banner, and was taken seconds before the banner caught his eyes!

December 3, 2012 4:05 am  #10

Oh Doc!  Fabulous!  You lucky thing.  I'm so glad Martin saw your banner.  I once made a poster for my favorite hockey player and he saw and acknowledged it during a game.  It's the best feeling, isn't it!

The only Middle Earth consulting hobbit! Brilliant!

Our Martin will soon be an international phenom and I have mixed feelings about it.  I wish him all the best, but I hope he never forgets Baker Street.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

December 3, 2012 5:30 am  #11

Very well done, Doctor!
And "221 B" is definitely a sufficient understatement - qed...

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

December 3, 2012 7:05 am  #12

Wow! You lucky, lucky people. Well done on the banner. What a brilliant idea.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

December 3, 2012 7:41 am  #13

Oh, that's great, Doctor, bringing a touch of Sherlock to The Hobbit. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 3, 2012 8:58 am  #14

.. some more insight.. we met about everyone (all the dwarves, Frodo, Galadriel and even Radagast), so many cast and crew simply around Wellywood or at official functions. I stopped counting at 42 because it is such a good number and all.. we even met some of the actors of Part 2 who were not officially introduced yet (including Tauriel).

I have to admit one of my faves was Martin Freeman as I never met him before in person.  I was relieved that indeed, I found something to say that did go beyond 'your acting brought us much joy" etc. It was quite amazed to run into him very unexpectedly and in private, and we went on to exchange a friendly banter about who could provide more insight into 'what to do in Wellington - so funny!

December 3, 2012 11:32 am  #15

Very, very cool, Doc!  Love the idea of a consulting hobbit!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

December 3, 2012 11:47 am  #16

Bilbo's Blog perhaps?

December 3, 2012 12:34 pm  #17

Doc - this is so exciting. Please provide us with a transcript of your actual conversation with Martin - with as much detail as you can remember.  Please, please, pretty please???? Inquiring minds want to know - well, mine does anyway!

Last edited by KeepersPrice (December 3, 2012 11:09 pm)

December 3, 2012 7:51 pm  #18

^ Agreed

So awesome, Doctor!

----------------------------------------------------------------
SH: "Brilliant, Anderson."
Anderson: "Really?"
SH: "Yes. Brilliant impression of an idiot."

December 6, 2012 3:45 am  #19

.. ah, and the picture I had been hoping to find

December 6, 2012 4:43 am  #20

Is that you down in the corner with the banner? I think I can just make out the 221B! Way cool!

Board footera