BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 1, 2012 11:41 pm  #1

Lodging in London (and elsewhere)

This past summer, I started planning a trip to the UK but got stuck on finding an affordable place to stay in London, a city I'm not familiar with.  After reading in another thread about an upcoming meet-up of board members in London next summer, it occurred to me that a separate thread on places to stay in that city could be very helpful. 

So, if you know of a hotel, B&B, hostel, or some other form of lodging in London that you can recommend, please do so here!  It would be useful if you could include why you like the place and a web address if you know it.  Also, if possible, please include its location in the city because one thing that tripped me up was that many websites were organized by which London neighborhood they were in so those websites weren't useful.

In addition, feel free to write about places you would not recommend. And if there are other cities you are interested in visiting, please use this thread to inquire about and recommend places to stay elsewhere as well.

Thanks in advance!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

October 28, 2013 3:59 am  #2

Re: Lodging in London (and elsewhere)

When we travelled to the UK in 2009 we stayed at a Premier Inn. They have taken over old hotels as well as built new ones and they are very 'green'. As Americans we enjoyed the food and the accommodations in Birmingham, UK and then saw many when we got to London.

The Thistle group should be avoided.....we actually stayed at the Heathrow Thistle for a convention and they had just posted the writ of demolishment in the lobby! When we got to the one in London it was abysmal.....

Happy hunting!

Rusty

The Other Mrs. Hudson

October 28, 2013 5:10 pm  #3

Re: Lodging in London (and elsewhere)

I stayed at the YHA London Central hostel last year, and if budget accommodation is the thing you're looking for, I can definitely recommend it.

Location on GoogleMaps: http://goo.gl/maps/ReG05

I had no problems whatsoever with the online reservation, the staff was friendly and helpful, the hostel was clean + well equipped (e.g big kitchens, Wi-Fi...).

I don't know anything about that part of London, but I always felt safe walking there from the Tube. Several Tube stations are only a couple of minutes away (Great Portland Street, Googe Street, Oxford Circus).

And a plus for Sherlock fans: it's in walking distance to Baker Street and North Gower Street (I went there right after having checked in )

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I asked you for one more miracle. I asked you to stop being dead." 

"I heard you."

(The Empty Hearse)

Board footera