BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 30, 2012 4:28 pm  #1

A small Johnlock moment... Your opinion...

FYI: A johnlocky post ahead:

This Video:
http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/sherlock-on-bbc-one/videos/14949725/title/look-after-ii-sherlock-john

the scene starting at 1:38

I don’t really know what episode it’s in (don’t judge me… I didn’t have the time to do my research yet…) but when John talks back to Sherlock he looks at Sherlock’s Lips. We know what that means.
Now:
Do you think it’s coincidence or even scripted or does it just ought to be Johnlock and it’s pure destiny?

I for one hope it’s no coincidence… Johnlock…
Why I care about such a bagatelle, you might ask… I don’t know…

MK

November 30, 2012 5:34 pm  #2

Re: A small Johnlock moment... Your opinion...

Well Lelli, this whole vid is one huge Johnlock moment! 
As for that one moment when John's eyes flick down then up at Sherlock at 1:38, I'd say that was actor Martin Freeman's way of showing John's surprise at realizing Sherlock was, or still could be, a drug user; and the eye flick was John's struggle to reevaluate or take the measure of Sherlock over again as he processed this new information.
Perhaps a more genuine Johnlock moment can be found in the "date" scene at Angelo's when John licks his lips while talking to Sherlock about his eligibility status...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

November 30, 2012 6:10 pm  #3

Of course there are much more Johnlock-y Moments but I thought everybody talks about them...
I just always get my hopes high... <3

November 30, 2012 6:19 pm  #4

Moving this to Character Analysis...but feel free to keep Johnlocking amongst yourselves. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

November 30, 2012 7:01 pm  #5

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Moving this to Character Analysis...but feel free to keep Johnlocking amongst yourselves. 

Thanks boss - and so we shall....

December 1, 2012 1:21 am  #6

It's the drugs bust scene in ASIP.  Personally, I don't think John's downward glance of his eyes signifies anything Johnlock-like.  Rather, like KeepersPrice, I think it's John reevaluating what he thought he knew about Sherlock.  Maybe he was looking down in an attempt to try and find some physical evidence, such as needle marks, on Sherlock.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

December 1, 2012 7:03 am  #7

Lelli wrote:

................ but when John talks back to Sherlock he looks at Sherlock’s Lips. We know what that means.

OMG you are suggesting John has a hearing problem??!!!!

Quite possible after being on a battlefield I guess.
Could also be possible, as many people do when wanting answers that he was scanning his face lookng for signs of deceptive behaviour.

Also, noting the close proximity of the 2 characters we would all move our eyes around to some extent, otherwise simply keeping eye contact for a prolonged period at such a close distance could lead to a ridiculous suggestion of lust etc from those who find that type of thing humourous so no doubt, as good actors would, Martin has chosen the more 'usual' eye movements that would apply in such a situation.

The end result, a very brief but intense moment showing the collaboration of the two characters' minds focussing on a problem; as happens throughout the series. Good camerawork I'd say.

So, if 'we all know what that means' was referring to a moment of lip reading, I don't thnk that is what's happening, but always a possibility I guess.

Last edited by kazza474 (December 1, 2012 7:04 am)

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

December 1, 2012 8:43 pm  #8

Ah ha!  Kazza is back - to strike terror and fear into us poor, innocent little Johnlockers .  Actually, it's good to see you active on the Forum again, Kazza.  I was worried about you.

So Lelli, here's a moment that someone caught that could be a little Johnlock moment.  If the gif works, watch for that soft little face pat.......(Kazza, don't look) 

December 1, 2012 8:55 pm  #9

Oh! *sigh*
I never saw the face pat over the heat of the whole moment ^^  ;P

December 1, 2012 9:02 pm  #10

Very well observed, KP. Strictly scientific as always. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 1, 2012 9:08 pm  #11

SusiGo wrote:

Very well observed, KP. Strictly scientific as always. 

Completely scientific - nothing but!  The Work - only The Work.  Someone has to deduce these things....

December 3, 2012 3:56 am  #12

kazza: I imagine you've been called passive aggressive once or twice, but thanks for making me laugh...

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

February 2, 2013 10:38 am  #13

I know what you mean by looking at someone's lips; but when it comes to body language context is incredibly important. For example if someone scratches their nose in casual conversation they're not necessarily lying.

We should not ignore the fact that Sherlock is basically staring John down in this scene. And in a non-too friendly manner (not necessarily aggressive but its very intense as he tries to give the best nonverbal communication he can muster.) People stare for many different reasons, sometimes they want to enhance what they are saying, they want to prove their innocence (can I just say that sometimes people will stare and blink less when they are lying and trying to hide it... I don't think it's the case here but it's interesting.) But a lot of times people hold eye contact intensely when trying to intimidate or make people back down in an arguement.

So John is rambling on about how 'whiter than white' Sherlock is. And Sherlock needs to make John shut his face without either screaming at him or saying out loud *coughcough*Iwasanaddict*coughcough*. On the one hand he appears to appreciate John rushing to his defence and doesn't want to embarrass the man too much by saying 'erm, actually, you're wrong.' (Which is strange, when does Sherlock ever *not* take the opportunity to show someone up for being wrong?) But on the other hand it is excruciating for Sherlock who has been placed in a position where he has to tell his brand new flatmate that the police have more than just cause to search his flat for drugs. He needs to make John both shut up and understand why Lestrade is doing what he's doing without raising his voice (the scene would have turned into an all out slanging match otherwise.)

Out of the two Sherlock is the domineering personality in this scene. Towering over John he stares him down with his line (something along the lines of 'John you might want to shut up now.' I really need to rewatch this one again now.) And John shows his submission to the situation by breaking eye contact briefly and saying 'no... you?' There is too much tension and Sherlock breaks it by sneering and saying 'shut up!'

Considering this is Sherlock we're talking about here this was a masterpiece of nonverbal communication for him.

And the face-pat in that gif is adorable.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

Board footera