BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 22, 2012 10:37 am  #1

Moriarty's fox tie pin

I couldn't find a post about this on the forum.
I just had a look around the Net after seeing a post on tumblr about the silver fox tie pin Moriarty's wearing in court. There are several examples in literature about foxes either faking their own deaths or giving advice to others to do so:

Brothers Grimm Fairy Tales:http://www.grimmstories.com/en/grimm_fairy-tales/the_fox_and_the_horse

http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/type0001.html

And I found a kids page about foxes saying that they sometimes play dead in order to bait crows and then pounce on them.

I don't know if all this has any meaning. If not, it's just another nice touch by Moftiss to keep our brains occupied during the hiatus. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 22, 2012 12:01 pm  #2

Re: Moriarty's fox tie pin

Interesting...

Reichenbach Fall is full of fairy tale references, and that Moriarty loves these little hints and riddles. I'm quite sure he picked the pin for a reason. The fox is known as a shrewd animal, and is often portrayed as a cheat in fables and fairy tales.

That said, I don't really believe these small hints are directly linked to the solution of the "fall". As you say, Susi, I think Moftiss want to keep the hardcore fans happy, they love all their little details and references.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

November 22, 2012 7:12 pm  #3

The Great Game.

Jim ("from IT") to Molly: "I'll see you at the FOX - round sixish."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

November 22, 2012 7:28 pm  #4

So he is not dead? Maybe?    Okay, okay, just let me dream a bit, right? 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

November 22, 2012 9:49 pm  #5

And the fox appears in the tale of The Gingerbread Man too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

November 23, 2012 10:46 pm  #6

Foxes are crafty and are often the bad guys in fairy tales. And every fairy tale needs a good old fashioned villain.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

November 23, 2012 11:14 pm  #7

Then there is the Fox  and the HOUND!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 24, 2012 4:57 pm  #8

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Foxes are crafty and are often the bad guys in fairy tales. And every fairy tale needs a good old fashioned villain.

Foxes in mythology and fairy tales often rather function as so called "tricksters", like snakes, coyotes, crows.
That's a difference to villains.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

November 24, 2012 8:00 pm  #9

They are clever and sneaky! They will also go into a hen coop and slaughter every single hen in it without eating any. Blood lust? Please note: I don't usually approve of anthropomorphic labelling but in this thread it is unavoidable.

Last edited by Davina (November 24, 2012 8:03 pm)

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

November 24, 2012 8:30 pm  #10

Right, Davina, real foxes are, and about the hens, they remind of Moriarty 
In tales and mythology, foxes are often more ambivalent, not just villains.
Trickster characters follow their own agenda, bringing things forward for the better or worse.

Last edited by Harriet (November 24, 2012 8:36 pm)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 1, 2012 1:46 pm  #11

Oh that's a fox! I always thought it was a crown... because of tis picture you find al over google pictures:

the right one looks like a crown... but the left one is the original...

The fox clue would be exactly what mori would do... and you're points are really good... they made me think even more...

Board footera