BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 27, 2012 3:16 am  #1

The Bruiser Episodes

OMG, I just found all the Martin Freeman sketches on the Bruiser Episodes on Youtube.  I'm laughing so hard I'm wetting my pants. I didn't know about this show until I found it today but the sketches are really hilarious and Martin is so damn funny.  Comedian and dramatic actor - my admiration for him only grows. 

I'm going to attempt a link (for the first time) - but if I mess up try to find Bruiser Episode 3 on Youtube.  Minute 3:33 is almost a little too close for comfort.  It could be titled "If the Reichenbach Fall Ended as a Comedy" *ouch*       

Martin and Bruiser Episode 3

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

June 27, 2012 5:39 am  #2

Re: The Bruiser Episodes

Oh my, I've been doing the same thing.  Some of the Bruiser skits are absolutely hilarious.  I agree, what wonderful comic timing to go along with the wonderful acting.  I am in awe of this man!  Plus, he's absolutely adorable.

I love the Sparky the puppet sketches. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rxaUNz4PyA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was worth a wound–it was worth many wounds–to know the depth of loyalty and love which lay behind that cold mask. The clear, hard eyes were dimmed for a moment, and the firm lips were shaking. For the one and only time I caught a glimpse of a great heart as well as of a great brain. All my years of humble but single-minded service culminated in that moment of revelation.

June 27, 2012 10:26 am  #3

I love the Sparky one's too!  Poor "Roger", Sparky never gives him a break.   I was giggling like mad over the "embarrassed sleazy sex peddler" guy in Episode 1 and of course the husband and wife skits are just priceless.
Boyishly adorable is so true - it's a deadly combination for me 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

June 27, 2012 3:53 pm  #4

Yep, love Childish Pimp too.  Somewhere on youtube, someone asked how a 40 y/o man could be so adorable!  :-)

He's going to be such a perfect Bilbo!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was worth a wound–it was worth many wounds–to know the depth of loyalty and love which lay behind that cold mask. The clear, hard eyes were dimmed for a moment, and the firm lips were shaking. For the one and only time I caught a glimpse of a great heart as well as of a great brain. All my years of humble but single-minded service culminated in that moment of revelation.

July 24, 2012 9:22 pm  #5

Fetchinketch wrote:

... on youtube, someone asked how a 40 y/o man could be so adorable! ....

Actually, when Bruiser was filmed, Martin Freeman was in his late 20's (though I must say, the intervening years have only added to his charm).  This was pre-Office.  Oh, and by the way, according to an interview with Amanda Abbington, he first caught her eye in this show.

I wish they had done more of his overly-enthusiastic documentary host -- loved the one at an archeology dig ("... and below that is even older dirt!").  But I think my favorite of his characters is Gary (the husband who's always got a new obsession).

Last edited by Carol the Dabbler (August 22, 2012 11:30 pm)

July 24, 2012 10:16 pm  #6

I think he is still adorable....  :-)

November 27, 2012 9:25 pm  #7

I've been thinking about those Gary-and-Samantha skits again, thinking that they differ from the rest of Bruiser in several ways.  The characters seem considerably more fleshed out.  Both their bickering and the underlying affection are realistically portrayed.  And even though they are shown just going about their everyday home life, they acknowledge the presence of the camera.

As those who've seen an entire episode may have noticed, the main "Written By" credit lists only Mitchell & Webb, but several other names are listed under "Additional Material by," including Ricky Gervais, who would shortly thereafter become half the creator team for The Office.

All of the above leads me to wonder whether "Gary and Samantha" might have been Gervais's doing.  It seems to me that those skits have more in common with The Office than with the rest of Bruiser.  So I'm also wondering whether Freeman's performances as Gary, in particular, might have lead Gervais to think of casting him as Tim -- not that the two characters are anything alike!

Last edited by Carol the Dabbler (December 28, 2012 3:23 pm)

Board footera