BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 24, 2012 11:49 pm  #1

Partita

The piece Sherlock is playing on his violin when Moriarty enters his flat, via the stairs is Partita no. 1. Studying Italian at the moment I have suddenly realised that 'Partita' means 'game', 'match' and also 'entry'. I assume that the choice of this piece of music was not a random one by the writers and therefore it has a hidden meaning. Moriarty picks up upon Sherlock leaving it unfinished and that Bach would have been disappointed. Sherlock's choice of this piece is an acceptance of this all being part of a greater game, one which is not yet competed yet. He is aware that this is a head-to-head between himself and Moriarty.

Last edited by Davina (November 24, 2012 11:50 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

November 25, 2012 1:52 am  #2

Re: Partita

Davina wrote:

The piece Sherlock is playing on his violin when Moriarty enters his flat, via the stairs is Partita no. 1. Studying Italian at the moment I have suddenly realised that 'Partita' means 'game', 'match' and also 'entry'. I assume that the choice of this piece of music was not a random one by the writers and therefore it has a hidden meaning. Moriarty picks up upon Sherlock leaving it unfinished and that Bach would have been disappointed. Sherlock's choice of this piece is an acceptance of this all being part of a greater game, one which is not yet competed yet. He is aware that this is a head-to-head between himself and Moriarty.

Very interesting Davina, I wasn't aware of what "partita" means in Italian. That would certainly be cool as a hidden meaning in the show; but I'm not exactly sure I'm ready to go along with that interpretation. In musical terms I think partita means a single instumental piece. And a collection of partitas was called a suite. When Moriarty said "Johann Sebestian Bach would have been appalled", I took it as a critique of the way Sherlock was playing it - insulting him as a rank amatuer.  I took it as a 'slap in the face before the duel' kind of thing.  But your idea is interesting too.  I think maybe I need to watch that scene again.....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

November 25, 2012 9:06 am  #3

I took it to refer to Sherlock not finishing the piece...which is why Moriarty told the story.  But yes, indicating  the Game hasn't finished quite yet- but Moriarty intends to win it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 25, 2012 3:54 pm  #4

I'm really sorry to come and say this, Davina, but the piece Sherlock plays in that scene is Sonata nº 1, not Partita nº 1. There you have the audio proof:

Sonata nº 1

Partita nº 1

As the musical nerd I am, I can tell you a Partita (in Bach's time) was more or less the same as a Suite. It's a group of short pieces, mostly dances, in the same key signature. They usually had Allemande, Courante, Sarabande and Gigue, sometimes with a Prelude and usually with two short dances before the Gigue (Menuets, Gavottes, Bourrées, etc).
Bach's Partitas are, in fact, Suites in the German style, different from the English Suites or the French Suites.

Now I will shut up...

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

November 25, 2012 8:11 pm  #5

Thanks for the clarification. Someone had posted about it being Partita No1 on another thread an I hadn't bothered to check! 

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

November 25, 2012 9:15 pm  #6

Davina wrote:

Thanks for the clarification. Someone had posted about it being Partita No1 on another thread an I hadn't bothered to check! 

Anyway, we know the rhythm of the code Moriarty taps with his hands is actually from Partita no 1, so we're not so far from it...

Last edited by Irene Adler (November 25, 2012 9:15 pm)

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

November 26, 2012 4:09 am  #7

So, back to Davina's original comment, perhaps "Partita No. 1" was a reference to the game Sherlock and M are playing...

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

November 26, 2012 4:18 am  #8

I'd never heard the Perlman before. Thanks for that link.

The music could still have a link to a lot in Reichenbach, in my opinion. I remember a symphony I went to once where the letters of the main theme formed an acronym that mocked the composer's friend's take on relationships and life and then proceeded to impose his own.

Okay, so after a few tries at Googling, I found it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_cryptogram
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-A-E_Sonata
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphony_No._3_(Brahms)
(They were F-A-E, "Free but lonely" and F-A-F, "Free but happy")

I also think that Sinnerman was an unusual choice, although The Thieving Magpie is at first inspection a very obvious one.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

November 26, 2012 7:25 am  #9

Perlman is a genius, I love him. His version of Beethoven's concerto is one of my favourites.

The acronym thing you mention is most usual than one can think, Schumann used it a lot. And Bach too. He even composed a Fugue with the letters of his own name. Very interesting point, Smoggy

And what Davina said about the Partita could apply to what Jim says at the rooftop... he chooses Partita nº 1's rhythm as a game. Oh, dear Jim...

November 26, 2012 8:20 am  #10

Goodness, so I was sort of right...nearly...maybe? Lol!  So the choice of the piece may well be symbolic. Would it already be familiar to Sherlock then? Does he already realise what it is?

November 26, 2012 7:18 pm  #11

Davina wrote:

Goodness, so I was sort of right...nearly...maybe? Lol!  So the choice of the piece may well be symbolic. Would it already be familiar to Sherlock then? Does he already realise what it is?

I'm sure Sherlock would be familiar with the Partitas as well, I can't imagine a violinist (amateur or not) playing one of the Sonatas and not knowing the Partitas. So yes, I'm sure Sherlock would know Partita no 1. There's only one question that remains... was Jim tapping Partita nº 1 for violin or for keyboard?

Believe me, this has been a nightmare for me for a long time. I played Partita nº 1 (the keyboard one) not so long ago and I have tried to identify that rhythm unsuccesfully. It may be from violin Partita, but I don't know it well enough 

Board footera