BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 1, 2012 7:18 am  #161

Re: Doctor Who

I was thinking the same with the roof scene with The Ponds. I hate those angels...arrrggghhhh!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 1, 2012 1:50 pm  #162

Did anyone spot the other two Sherlock Holmes references in this episode? Cheeky Moffat.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

October 1, 2012 4:04 pm  #163

OK, took a bit of time but I think I've got one of them...

Link

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

October 2, 2012 12:41 am  #164

I freaking loved Angels Take Manhattan. For the first time in a long time it really felt like a Doctor Who episode. And I'm kind of glad to see the back of the Ponds. As far as companions go, they were not at all as strong characters as Rose/Martha/Donna were. Here's hoping for a bit of reinvention with Jenna's character!

Would like to see the Doctor behaving more like the Doctor and less like an ADD 12 year old too

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

October 2, 2012 6:54 am  #165

I watched it last night, thought it was a really good episode .
I personally would have preferred it to end with Amy and Rory falling off the roof, though. That way, we would never know whether they went back in time even further, died from the fall, or somehow survived in 1938. I understand that such an ending would not have been very child-friendly, but then again, the weeping angels are quite scary anyway.

What I didn't quite understand is the part about little Amelia... Moffat said that last scene is the punch-line to her story, but what does that mean? Maybe I missed something, but all I can tell is that the Doctor came to pick her up after all?

Really loooking forward to the Christmas special now, hope the new companion is as much fun as Oswin from episode 1. Never have been much of an Amy fan myself, so I don't mind her leaving.

Last edited by hypergreenfrog (October 2, 2012 6:58 am)

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

October 7, 2012 5:05 pm  #166

I love Matt Smith!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 7, 2012 6:21 pm  #167

I do too. I really, really  loved David Tennant too. Matt is slightly 'otherwordly' looking.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 7, 2012 6:33 pm  #168

Matt is on Top Gear as I write. Didn't know that he had been in Leicester/ Nottingham Forest football Academy until having a back injury.

October 7, 2012 6:43 pm  #169

Can't abide Top Gear.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 7, 2012 7:13 pm  #170

But Matt was lovely!

October 7, 2012 7:16 pm  #171

Yeah, think I have seen it.

October 7, 2012 7:51 pm  #172

God, Angels take Manhatten was fabulous! And very sad at the end. Didn't quite expect something like this... I thought the Ponds would just decide not to travel with the Doctor anymore or something, but this is much cleverer. (Btw. what was it again that keeps the Doctor from visiting the Ponds in the past?)
The graveyard scene was so good...

But to be honest I still think that the episode "Blink" was much scarier! 

What the hell is it with Moffat throwing main characters off roofs?

Wholocked wrote:

And I'm kind of glad to see the back of the Ponds. As far as companions go, they were not at all as strong characters as Rose/Martha/Donna were. Here's hoping for a bit of reinvention with Jenna's character!

Agree!

Last edited by Sammy (October 7, 2012 7:53 pm)

October 27, 2012 8:49 pm  #173

Aww.    I  loved  and hated  the Angels take Manhatten.   That pseudonym  Melody Malone--  Yeah  River Song wrote the book under that name, which the dr was reading in Central Park.   That's what started it all.   Ok.   and the ending was JUST LIKE  in the book,  no matter  what the dr and the ponds did,  to try to change it.  You can't change a book once it's written,  right?   I  hated to see the ponds leave like that.   

Ok  I  mention this because....surprise!!   There's a book out now,  written  by Melody Malone,  called THE ANGELS KISS  and this book  takes place BEFORE  this episode.   So,  you'll get some back story.   It's on Amazon ,  under doctor who books.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

October 28, 2012 3:02 am  #174

wow,   yes an incredible "graveyard" scene,   preceded by the "rooftop" scene..   such a farewell..  Don't travel alone!   

October 31, 2012 8:32 pm  #175

Ok   Molly  got one of the sherlock references (the dying detective chapter--ACD  had that title in the canon)  But  what was the other one?   

Moffat  drives me bonkers with all the tie-ins  to the two shows.

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

November 23, 2012 4:43 pm  #176

Not sure if this has already been posted somewhere here; but this is quite fun for all the Dr. Who/David Tennant/Catherine Tate fans among us.  Sorry about the annoying French subtitles (unless of course, you're French  ) :

Last edited by KeepersPrice (November 23, 2012 4:44 pm)

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

November 25, 2012 6:15 pm  #177

I have seen that sketch so many times, but it is still hilarious! Absolutely love it!

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

November 29, 2012 7:26 am  #178

yeah  I saw that sketch  and I STILL can't understand it!!   even  in  english...  no subtitles in english,  darn it.  ok   David got the last word....right?

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

November 29, 2012 11:25 am  #179

Not quite. She still ain't bovvered- translation..Is not bothered.

December 18, 2012 11:37 pm  #180

35 seconds in.

Are we to see an ancient Egyptian curse appear in the next series of Sherlock?

The time period and context of the script there seem to be a nod to Sherlock (Or at least it's fans).

Perhaps though I'm just reading too much into it - as per usual

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

Board footera