BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 13, 2012 4:55 pm  #1

How to survive the fall and the things out of character......

How to survive the fall: A lot has been explained yet here and in other forums/blogs, and I think the truth is in a lot of that, more or less anyway, not knowing maybe every detail – but: the truck with the bags, the little ball for the armpit, the white belt Sherlock is wearing during the fall, the bicycle driver and the people on the street (all on the inside of Sherlock´s plan, preventing John from taking his pulse too long, pressing Sherlock´s arm with the ball under the armpit), Molly´s role, John´s “job��  being an eye witness who was sent away before (by Sherlock, obviously). And, yes, obviously, it´s Sherlock falling, there is no dummy or even clone (sorry but this is ridiculous). It´s Sherlock lying on the ground and John realizes this although being fogged (can you say that in English?), being dizzy. Watching his face when Sherlock is turned around, realizing, saying: “Jesus! Oh my god, no…��  – and we see the face, too, the eyes….. it was the magic trick, Sherlock planned this and it worked.
And this is the more interesting question: Since when did Sherlock plan the whole thing? When did everything start? Who is playing with whom? And – the deciding question: What did he do “out of character�� ? It´s the beginning of that episode, I am convinced about that, the cases and his behaviour around them which have nothing to do with his life before. Yes, we don´t know much about the cases, but do they look interesting to somebody like Sherlock? Somehow I feel they could normally get a deep “boring��  of him, but instead he takes them over. They make him famous, he exposes himself to the press, doing stupid things like saying Thank you for a tie pin and wearing that stupid hat. Sherlock? He was never interested in that, and also not in the rich and famous which seem to be his only clients at that time…. Why? Again: they make him famous. Why does he like to be that? The only reason can be to elicit Moriarty out of his spider´s net. And, didn´t it work? Moriarty can´t live with the fame of his arch enemy, this provokes him and he then commits the crime of the century. Everything starts here and the one with the threads in his hand is Sherlock. Always. He pushes his fall, trys to plan as much as he can in advance. This is not always possible, I don´t think e.g. that he planned Moriarty´s suicide. But the frame conditions are set by Sherlock (and, of course, Mycroft, he never accidentally would have “blabbed out��  the intimate details of his brother, he was ALWAYS taking care about him, concerned about him). But, unfortunately, John can´t be involved into the plan, John isn´t able to lie – remember when he tried to tell Sherlock about Irene Adler´s disposition? That´s why – and, yes, of course he is doing this truly! – Sherlock is crying on the rooftop, he has to do this incredible lie to John, he has to hurt him so much and leave him alone again (“I owe you so much, I was so alone…�� ).
Sherlock has a heart! And with this he is saving lives in that moment, he “almost becomes a hero�� , like Steven Moffat said in one of the makings ofs.....

Last edited by anjaH_alias (November 13, 2012 5:00 pm)

November 13, 2012 5:23 pm  #2

Re: How to survive the fall and the things out of character......

Welcome to the forum Anja. Maybe you can introduce yourself in our introduction thread. 
I don't think he survived the fall by landing on the truck. We actually see him landing on the pavement and besides, the truck is too far away from the point from which he's falling down. In order to manage is he would have had to take a run which he didn't and even then it would have been difficult.
Your idea about the out-of-character thing is quite convincing. He does this in order to provoke Moriarty.
As for the tears on the roof I absolutely agree with you. They are genuine and he cries because he knows exactly what he's doing to John.

Last edited by SusiGo (November 13, 2012 5:25 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 13, 2012 5:58 pm  #3

Which is different to what Steven has claimed, but I agree: at least I think Sherlock does regret what he has to put John through.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 13, 2012 6:05 pm  #4

And it conforms with what Benedict said at Cheltenham. "I enjoyed the humility he gets to show on the top of the building in the last episode."

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 13, 2012 6:07 pm  #5

Is it humility or vulnerability?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 13, 2012 6:10 pm  #6

He said "humility", I just looked it up.

November 13, 2012 6:12 pm  #7

Oh sorry, I wasn't questioning which word Benedict said...I was questioning his analysis...but I guess he should know!

November 13, 2012 6:15 pm  #8

I think he's showing both. If you compare his tears on the roof to his acting in TGG and Scandal they seem different to me. I just don't see him doing such an act in front of John. But then maybe I'm just a romantic. 

November 13, 2012 6:18 pm  #9

I'm having trouble remembering tears in  SCANDAL...

November 13, 2012 6:25 pm  #10

When he's dressed up as a vicar in front of Irene's door. Not very convincing, I'm afraid to say. 

November 13, 2012 6:37 pm  #11

Oh yes...dramatic Sherlock!

November 13, 2012 8:37 pm  #12

SusiGo wrote:

Welcome to the forum Anja. Maybe you can introduce yourself in our introduction thread. 
I don't think he survived the fall by landing on the truck. We actually see him landing on the pavement and besides, the truck is too far away from the point from which he's falling down. In order to manage is he would have had to take a run which he didn't and even then it would have been difficult.
Your idea about the out-of-character thing is quite convincing. He does this in order to provoke Moriarty.
As for the tears on the roof I absolutely agree with you. They are genuine and he cries because he knows exactly what he's doing to John.

Hi back and thanks for welcoming me. Maybe I will introduce myself in that introduction thread (didn´t know there is one, honestly, because I quite spontanously stumbled in that forum and decided to write something...). But definetely not today, sorry, I am awful tired and already in bed.
But to say this: Yes, we see him landing on the pavement, but there is a cut before! He obviously must have had a kind of safe landing before, somewhere else, on something else. If not he weren´t there alive in the end ;-). If it was the truck (which plays definetely a role in my eyes, it´s not simply there) or something else I don´t know of course.
But this detail is not so important to me, more important is - I think - to put the foil onto the whole story that everything is from the beginning on planned from Sherlock´s (and Mycroft´s) side. Everything makes sense then - e.g. also the spectacular escape out of police arrest (which evokes much more public attention than having gone with Lestrade before). "Let´s do what Moriarty wants" he says outside then. To us and John he seems to fall into Moriarty´s traps, but this is just to give him a false sense of security. Another example: In that scene before, in the flat, he says things like "oh, Moriarty is clever" etc. - with that camera in his hand through which very likely Moriarty is watching the whole scene. This must flatter him, definetely. But out of Sherlock´s view it´s simply accelerating the whole story.

Last edited by anjaH_alias (November 13, 2012 8:39 pm)

November 13, 2012 8:40 pm  #13

The Holmes brothers know matters with Moriarty are coming to a head and they may conspire to a certain extent on how to deal with it...but I don't think it's all a great plan.

November 13, 2012 8:46 pm  #14

anjaH_alias wrote:

.....because I quite spontanously stumbled in that forum and decided to write something

Oh, that was easy to see! 
Welcome to the forum and thanks for your interesting post. Each time I think about TRF I believe something else, so I will stay quiet here and now.  I decided just to wait for the BIG SURPRISE next year.
And.... I think the truck was too far away to land upon. Yes. But that's all I am quite sure about. Still it must have had a reason to be there at that time, I agree.

Good night and welcome back later! (Tired, too  )

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

November 23, 2012 9:43 pm  #15

I'm not convinced about the tears...I just find it hard to imagine Sherlock Holmes crying. I really don't think he was thinking about what he was doing to John at that moment...he would need to be concentrating on getting everything right for his big jump and not cocking things up so he accidentally did die. Having said that...I still don't understand what the tears were all about...I have no answer I'm afraid. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

November 23, 2012 9:46 pm  #16

He had to seem to be somebody genuinely about to commit suicide...but I do think he was also genuinely sad about John.

November 23, 2012 9:51 pm  #17

Sad to be leaving John behind, to be leaving their close friendship and the life they had together, but I don't think he particularly considered the full depth of the emotional impact his "death" would have.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 23, 2012 9:53 pm  #18

I'm just really not sure...
Think back to the scene before the arrest.  The way Sherlock looks at John.  He is genuinely touched by this man's total loyalty.  Incidentally, I think this bit is covered beautifully in The Casebook.  Made me cry all over again.

November 23, 2012 10:44 pm  #19

Aww yeah...where John says "I made my choice". 

And also, the moment in Reichenbach where John says "no one could be such an annoying dick all the time" and they share that little look, and yes, I think Sherlock knows how much John does believe in him.

November 23, 2012 10:46 pm  #20

Again:  nailed it.

Board footera