BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 26, 2012 5:32 pm  #1

Inspector Montalbano

I am not sure how many of you will be able to get this series in your countries but I love it. I have read quite a number of the original books. It is set in Sicily and is in Italian but with English subtitles (perhaps dubbed or with other subtitles in other countries?). It is fascinating how detective stories vary according to the culture of the country. This is typically Italian in that food and wine play an important part, as they do in everyday life there.

On a miserably wet day here in England it was wonderful to be transported to the sunshine and heat of summer in Sicily. Having been lucky enough to once visit this island it is so good to be able to visit it once again through this series.

Some of you may know of the famous series 'The Singing Detective' written by the late Dennis Potter. Well, Inspector Montalbano is the swimming detective.

Highly recommended. Available on BBC I-player.

Last edited by Davina (September 26, 2012 5:32 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 27, 2012 10:57 am  #2

Re: Inspector Montalbano

I will add that this series also deals with 'difficult' issues. The episode I just watched (I have read the novel of this one too) was about child trafficking from North Africa.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 27, 2012 4:50 pm  #3

I just finished the book "Excursion to Tandari" and liked it almost immediately.  I now plan to order more and find myself wanting to learn more about Sicily.

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

September 27, 2012 5:18 pm  #4

It is a very lovely place to visit. I hadn't expected it to be so great but it really was. The books are just great and the TV series by RTI is just right too. I like Montalbano's character as it is multi-faceted. The arguments in Italian are just brilliant and Catarella is so funny.

Last edited by Davina (September 27, 2012 5:20 pm)

October 2, 2012 8:53 pm  #5

Nothing quite like an Italian detective saying, ' Elementare Watson' to his colleague with that accent. Wat...a...son.

October 6, 2012 7:06 am  #6

A part that really made me laugh in one of the episodes:
Montalbano: Do you own a weapon?
Man: Yes.
Long pause while elaboration is expected but not forthcoming...
Montalbano: What sort of weapon? ...(further pause with no answer) ...a pistol, a rifle, a bazooka, a cannon?

October 8, 2012 10:57 am  #7

The latest episode I have just watched is about a kidnapped/stolen racehorse, well two kidnapped racehorses actually. Loosely based on Silver Blaze perhaps?

November 4, 2012 9:44 pm  #8

Well this is expanding my Italian vocabulary and useful phrases. Question...why is it always so easy to remember swear words in other languages? Lol. 

November 9, 2012 9:17 pm  #9

Now bought the DVD collection of the first umpteen episodes of this. Really, really good. The books are impressive and so is the Translation onto the TV. It is dissimilar to Sherlock in some respects but the relationships are developed really well, the stories are well-constructed and well-acted. The scenery is often spectacular, the music at times stunning (very poetic) and it does not shy away from serious issues (prostitution, child trafficking, drug dealing, incest, loan sharing, organ transplant trafficking, illegal immigration, the Mafia, jealousy, revenge, murder, etc. ) If anyone wants to watch these I would STRONGLY recommend that they start from the first episodes I.e. with the story of The Snack Thief and work their way through them as they were made, otherwise the relationships and characters do not make sense. One of my favourites is The Terracotta Dog, which connects to the allied invasion of Sicily in 1943.

Incidentally, Andrea Camilleri, who writes the stories, was originally a script writer for TV and says in an interview with the BBC that it was training from a master in this that made him such a thorough author, when it came to writing his novels. He is a politically minded man whose viewpoint does come into his stories. What I find, above all else, is his great humanity.

November 23, 2012 10:39 pm  #10

Massively improving my Italian watching this, although the tv series differs from the novels by Camilleri in some respects. A series that is worth watching from the start to understand the character development etc. A negative is that I  just cannot stand the Austrian actress who plays his girlfriend Livia (dubbed too!) although she only 'appears' on the phone for several of the later episodes (thank goodness as her acting is awful). Apparently the latest episodes, finished this summer have a new actress in this role although she is Swedish (work that one out!!).

Anyhow...very Italian....fantastic music which sound discordant at times initially, but this is intentional, but with amazing sweeping melodies at other times.

The  actor Luca Zingaretti is fantastic as Montalbano with strong support from others. Some of you will find the slapstick comedy with Catarella difficult to appreciate but it works in the books and it is a running joke in the series...like all running jokes it only works when you are 'in'. The supporting roles/characters of Fazio and Mimi are excellently potrayed throughout.

This is not a politically correct tv cop show as you might see in other countries but it IS a very good representation of Sicily and how the police have to operate within the constraints of politics, the Mafia, press, big business etc.  It is a series fired by the senses and emotions. Murders are generally regarded as being due to one of three reasons: love, sex or money..this pretty much holds true throughout.

Montalbano himself is driven, flawed, incredibly grumpy at times but also compassionate and sensitive although he can be a complete b......d at other times. He operates more, or less, within the rules (bending them at times, when necessary).   

If you cannot get to see the TV series then, at the very least I would suggest reading the stories (in translation when necessary) I am confident that you will not be disappointed. Camilleri is a master of his art.

Last edited by Davina (November 23, 2012 10:40 pm)

Board footera