BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 13, 2012 5:32 pm  #1

Sherlock accepting advice from his friends

We all know this scene where handcuffed Sherlock and John are trying to escape the police. Sherlock, leaping over the top of the railings, leaves John behind.
Instead of becoming angry at such a stupid behaviour in this complicated situation John remains calm:

"Sherlock, wait. We’re going. To need. To coordinate."

Every time I’m watching this I’m filled with admiration for John and his inconceivable patience with which he is trying to interact with Sherlock. He tries to give him the necessary instructions in the same way a mother would handle her three-year-old child.

Actually, all of Sherlock’s friends take on kind of parental roles for him now and then, offering him advice and monitoring his actions and decisions. (Mrs Hudson: "Sherlock, the mess you’ve made…!" - Lestrade: "I’m dealing with a child!")
May be it has to do with his Asperger’s (which at least John and Lestrade are aware of).
I find it truly touching whenever Sherlock indeed seems to listen to his friends, sometimes actually seeking advice like in the
"not good?/bit not good" thing.

JOHN: "Get yourself a little case this week. Try to stay out of the news."
(Sherlock in the following is dealing with the over 150-year-old, still unsolved Henry Fishgard case.)

MOLLY: "You could probably say thank you, actually."
SHERLOCK: (hesitantly) "Thank you…"

Sherlock – after having learned from John that putting his coat collar up can be annoying - does turn it down when entering the room where Claudette is staying.

SHERLOCK: "Alone is what I have. Alone protects me."
JOHN: "No, friends protect people."
(Sherlock obviously tries to by jumping off the roof.)

But: Moriarty’s "friendly advice" ("BACK OFF!") is NOT been followed by him.
Wonder why…

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

April 13, 2012 6:19 pm  #2

Re: Sherlock accepting advice from his friends

Yes it is true that his friends, and his brother (!) do try and take quite parental roles with him.

He certainly resents Mycroft playing Mother, as can be seen in the palace scene in Scandal. Mycroft certainly sees himself as being in the adult role, with Sherlock as his little brother who often acts like a child, who he worries about continually.

John also sees him very much as a child too at times, one who has to have behavioural rules explained to him. Who still needs the edges knocked off him a bit. As mentioned the 'bit not good' moments along with the 'enjoying yourself?' 'maybe not smile, kidnapped children' moments.

Mrs. Hudson, as mentioned regards him as very much a teenage figure, I think. One who is a bit of a wild child, who is openly affectionate towards her and will defend her but also one who is exasperating in his behaviour, such as shooting at walls and keeping body parts in the fridge. He can defend her one minute, along with John when Mycroft is rude to her but then immediately is quite rude in turn ' though do, in fact, shut up!' she reprimands him but clearly has a soft spot for him despite all his little foibles.

Lestrade sees him as a 'work in progress', again much as you would view a child or teenager. He is a great man and one day may be a good one. He puts up with his excentricities because he needs his expertise but he will treat him like a child e.g. During the drugs bust in Study in Pink, because Sherlock insists on going out on a limb and not following the 'rules'. He actually says that he is dealing with a child.

Even The Woman talks to him as a small child when he is drugged, 'Ssh, now.' Along with the phrase, 'Not you Junior!'

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 13, 2012 6:49 pm  #3

Re: Sherlock accepting advice from his friends

Yeah I love all those moments you guys have pointed out, and find them really endearing traits in Sherlock's personality. It actually makes him seem more human, real and not without his weaknesses. It's cute.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

Board footera