BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 19, 2012 5:59 pm  #1

What other Sherlocks can you recommend?

Apart from the old Basil Rathbone movies and the Jeremy Brett series, what other SH films/shows would you recommend?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

May 21, 2012 9:45 pm  #2

Re: What other Sherlocks can you recommend?

there's one that I  have on tape from PBS---Richard Roxborough and Ian Hart  in  the movie  "Hound of the Baskervilles"    Very  well done!!!   and THIS  Holmes was blond haired,  and This Watson had a bit of an attitude,  and was very smart.   Loved the scenery,  and how Lestrade showed up at the end.....

ANOTHER one is an animated movie  called  "The Great Mouse Detective"   His name is Basil,  and he lives on 221  Baker street,  right under  the "real"  Sherlock Holmes  apartment.  The movie is adorable,  and the Mouse does EVERYTHING like Sherlock does.   I  bought it online a few years back,  and watch it whenever I feel like a sherlock cartoon.  So very cute.   I reccomend it highly.

Last edited by sherlockskitty (May 31, 2012 7:02 am)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 2, 2012 3:41 am  #3

Not necessarily a recommendation, but I remember enjoying a scene on the holodeck in Star Trek: The Next Generation where Data played Holmes, and Jordi (sp.?) played Watson. Pretty humorous, as the android Data didn't have to "deduce" anything--his computer mind simply knew everything immediately.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

November 12, 2012 8:56 am  #4

sherlockskitty wrote:

there's one that I  have on tape from PBS---Richard Roxborough and Ian Hart  in  the movie  "Hound of the Baskervilles"    Very  well done!!!   and THIS  Holmes was blond haired,  and This Watson had a bit of an attitude,  and was very smart.   Loved the scenery,  and how Lestrade showed up at the end.....

ANOTHER one is an animated movie  called  "The Great Mouse Detective"   His name is Basil,  and he lives on 221  Baker street,  right under  the "real"  Sherlock Holmes  apartment.  The movie is adorable,  and the Mouse does EVERYTHING like Sherlock does.   I  bought it online a few years back,  and watch it whenever I feel like a sherlock cartoon.  So very cute.   I reccomend it highly.

Yes, the adaptation with Richard Roxborough is quite good, I mean the atmosphere is well portrayed. But I can´t get into his portrayal of Holmes.
What I recommend is an older version I saw as a child, a TV film, early 80´s. Martin Shaw as Sir Henry Baskerville, Ian Richardson as Holmes and Glynis Barber as the pretty Mrs. Stapleton. I like it - maybe because of the fact that it was the first film adaptation of The Hound of the Baskervilles.

Tout peut arriver dans la vie, et surtout rien.

November 13, 2012 5:52 pm  #5

Swanpride wrote:

"The Great Mousedetective" is a great movie, one of Disney's underrated classics. It has one of the best Moriaties (Rattigan), and a really energetic version of Sherlock (Basil).

As Holmes' go, I was always very found of the Whitehead portrayal, in the old, short-lifed BBC-series "Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson". The stories were often campy, but he (and Watson) made it worthwhile to watch. They didn't really do the original stories, but they refered to them sometimes...sometimes even making fun of the canon, but in a nice way. And they looked the closest to how I always imagined Sherlock and Watson to look like. Whitehead had this big nose and the sarcastic smile.

It sounds interesting, is it still available?

November 14, 2012 12:51 pm  #6

Swanpride wrote:

Nope...you can watch some of the episodes on Youtube, though. The Show never got a DVD or VHS release and hasn't been on air for ages, so the only copies floating around are old recordings. I have three or four episodes somewhere on VHS, including the pilot, so I can still remember the show.

Thanks! I´ll have a look on Youtube.

November 15, 2012 12:37 pm  #7

Wolfhound wrote:

Swanpride wrote:

Nope...you can watch some of the episodes on Youtube, though. The Show never got a DVD or VHS release and hasn't been on air for ages, so the only copies floating around are old recordings. I have three or four episodes somewhere on VHS, including the pilot, so I can still remember the show.

Thanks! I´ll have a look on Youtube.

I did, but it´s in Polish!   

Board footera