BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 1, 2012 3:47 pm  #1

Benedict's voice- soundalike?

I was watching 'Lewis' last night, not a programme I usually watch, when I was struck, most forcibly, by the fact that the voice of Laurence Fox who plays DS James Hathaway in the series is really very, very similar to Benedict's. I know some of you are going to be quite possibly outraged by this assertion but I really do think so.

Then I did a little bit of research on Laurence Fox and, apart from discovering he is the son of James Fox and nephew of Edward Fox, he also went to Harrow school, which Benedict attended. Laurence is a couple of years younger. He was also expelled just before his A level exams, something to do with smoking, girls and hitting the town, I believe.

Anyway, I will try to post a link for YouTube to a scene from Lewis which has him in it and you can tell me what you think. I know Lewis is also a Masterpiece production and is shown therefore n Canada and the US.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 1, 2012 9:02 pm  #2

Re: Benedict's voice- soundalike?

A couple of YouTube links in case you want to watch and listen.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RqsiBAUe4

This is recorded from the Good Morning programme.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iOxRsfeRyo

The latter is Lewis and Hathaway-'Well, you thought, something wasn't right'.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 1, 2012 9:39 pm  #3

I think he also sounds quite a bit like Alan Rickman, but that's more the tenor than the accent.

June 1, 2012 9:53 pm  #4

Their speech patterns are very similar. Benedict does a passable Alan Rickman impression.

June 3, 2012 1:50 pm  #5

Wait... are you saying you've heard him do an Alan Rickman impression? This I must hear.

June 3, 2012 3:51 pm  #6

imane nikko wrote:

Wait... are you saying you've heard him do an Alan Rickman impression? This I must hear.

I know I posted that video somewhere in this board... maybe in the "Benedict's voice" thread, take a look.
If you don't find it tell me and I'll look for it again 

Edit: it's here. I hope the link works

http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=3805#p3805

Last edited by Irene_Adler (June 3, 2012 3:54 pm)

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

November 11, 2012 1:47 pm  #7

Found it.
And yes, I think you are right. I´ve just listened to both of them on youtube. They do sound similar - they share something I would call a deep and masculine voice. They went to the same school as you say, but not being British I am not able to assess the impact of this. What kind of school is it - a public one?

Tout peut arriver dans la vie, et surtout rien.

November 11, 2012 4:49 pm  #8

Ha! You found it before I did!  Yes, same 'public school' Harrow.

November 11, 2012 7:11 pm  #9

I think you're right. A few days ago I almost broke my back.I was having a shower and the tv was on and suddenly I was listening Benedict voice saying something I've never heard before and it sounded like a murder investigation. That's when I slipped trying to get a glimpse at the tv. Wet feet and tiles are a dangerous combination per se, add Benedict voice and they can become lethal. Well, of course it wasn't him but a trailer of "Lewis" that it's showing here on UKTV. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Valentine:  Do you know the stars, Mr Tietjens?
Christopher:  I despise astronomy.

November 12, 2012 8:17 am  #10

tiharoa wrote:

I think you're right. A few days ago I almost broke my back.I was having a shower and the tv was on and suddenly I was listening Benedict voice saying something I've never heard before and it sounded like a murder investigation. That's when I slipped trying to get a glimpse at the tv. Wet feet and tiles are a dangerous combination per se, add Benedict voice and they can become lethal. Well, of course it wasn't him but a trailer of "Lewis" that it's showing here on UKTV. 

Oh, beware of slippery bathroom when listening to what seems to be Benedict´s voice! Hope you are OK.
I totally agree now they sound similar, but I am not able to decrypt all the reasons. The pitch, the stress, the intonation, the rythm?
Btw, Laurence Fox is a very good actor, I also saw him in a Miss Marple mystery and he was excellent. Sorry, I forgot it´s a "General Benedict Appreciation" topic.

November 13, 2012 1:55 am  #11

Wolfhound wrote:

tiharoa wrote:

Oh, beware of slippery bathroom when listening to what seems to be Benedict´s voice! Hope you are OK.
I totally agree now they sound similar, but I am not able to decrypt all the reasons. The pitch, the stress, the intonation, the rythm?
Btw, Laurence Fox is a very good actor, I also saw him in a Miss Marple mystery and he was excellent. Sorry, I forgot it´s a "General Benedict Appreciation" topic.

I'm mostly fine, thank you, just a bit bruised. I watched my first "Lewis" episode yesterday evening, it was ok. Fox's voice kept changing through the entire episode. There were moments when he sounded almost exactly like Benedict and other times when he was completely different. The only other time when I saw the guy I think was at the Spectsavers Crime Thriller Awards.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 13, 2012 1:37 pm  #12

tiharoa wrote:

Wolfhound wrote:

tiharoa wrote:

I'm mostly fine, thank you, just a bit bruised. I watched my first "Lewis" episode yesterday evening, it was ok. Fox's voice kept changing through the entire episode. There were moments when he sounded almost exactly like Benedict and other times when he was completely different. The only other time when I saw the guy I think was at the Spectsavers Crime Thriller Awards.

It´s good news!
Well, he did sound similar to me, but these days I had the chance to watch only short videos on youtube, not a whole episode.
He was at the Crime Thriller Awards, hum. I wish I could watch it, but alas, we don´t have the possibility to catch ITV.

November 15, 2012 8:01 am  #13

I couldn't either due to georestriction. So I decided to get an UK IP (VPN) I can't watch while the programme is broadcast, but few hours later, usually during the night, it's fine.

November 15, 2012 12:35 pm  #14

tiharoa wrote:

I couldn't either due to georestriction. So I decided to get an UK IP (VPN) I can't watch while the programme is broadcast, but few hours later, usually during the night, it's fine.

Interesting, thank you, I didn´t know there was such a possibility.

Board footera