BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 12, 2012 9:49 am  #1

fic recommendations - non-slash

Again, not written by me but just had to share it:

Sherlock is allergic to mint. Mint + Donovan + Anderson = read on

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6392965/1/Wrong-Order

There are so many good ones, I had to retitle the thread. I will put all my future recs in here - none will be slash.

Last edited by saturnR (September 14, 2012 11:41 am)

September 12, 2012 10:05 am  #2

Re: fic recommendations - non-slash

summary: Sherlock asks John about Afghanistan. John confronts Sherlock about being a sociopath. A very important truth emerges. One shot.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6428871/1/Home-Truths

The writer is a favourite of mine. He writes friendship without it turning to slash.

September 14, 2012 11:07 am  #3

Summary: When a sleeping Sherlock is confronted by Lestrade and Watson about a case they find out that not only does Holmes sleep-talk and sleep-walk, he also…Sleep-Deducts? Completely unconsious and unable to lie, the truths of Sherlock's mind are open to both.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6203968/1/Hydrochloric-Coffee

September 14, 2012 11:36 am  #4

saturnR wrote:

Again, not written by me but just had to share it:

Sherlock is allergic to mint. Mint + Donovan + Anderson = read on

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6392965/1/Wrong-Order

There are so many good ones, I had to retitle the thread. I will put all my future recs in here.

Oh, I liked the minty one very much. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 14, 2012 11:40 am  #5

Summary: A badly injured Sherlock waits for help to arrive. Naturally, he's more concerned with the whereabouts of his scarf.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7703111/1/Lost-and-Found

One of the best Sherlock-Mycroft stories I've ever read.

September 14, 2012 12:09 pm  #6

Summary: Sherlock passes out. John muses on the reasons why. Containing an absorbing case, two bags of shopping, and a few apples.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6275170/1/The-Rational-Machine

quote from beginning of this story:

"...it was one of his peculiarities that in his more intense moments he would permit himself no food, and I have known him to presume upon his iron strength until he has fainted from pure inanition."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 'The Adventure of the Norwood Builder'

September 14, 2012 12:23 pm  #7

Thanks for your recommendations, I've a soft spot for hurt/comfort. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 14, 2012 12:42 pm  #8

I'm enjoying reading these. Just the occasional Americanism or a turn of phrase that is not quite Brit jars. A good feeling for Sherlock and John's voices.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 10, 2012 3:43 am  #9

The Least of all Possible Mistakes

I am reading this one at the moment and it's brilliant. It's Mystrade, where Lestrade is a woman, but there's very little slash. Mostly this author is telling the whole two series' of evnets from Lestrade's perspective - filling in blanks etc. it's really very clever, and witty.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

November 12, 2012 9:03 pm  #10

Summary: Everyone knows that Greg Lestrade works at Scotland Yard and that he's one of the few people Sherlock Holmes can stand. But no one knows that he can sing. They don't know that he likes redheads, that he prefers Batman over Superman, and how afraid he is of falling in love again. That Sherlock Holmes is like the son he never had and that more than anything he wants to die before Sherlock, so he'll never know the pain of losing him. In other words, an epic character study of the adorable Greg Lestrade.

http://saskatchewanstardust.deviantart.com/art/45-Things-You-Don-t-Know-About-Greg-Lestrade-301311428?q=gallery%3Asaskatchewanstardust%2F35232333&qo=16

There's about one or two sentences that suggest Greg thinks John and Sherlock are together, but that's about as slashy as it gets.

Last edited by Jayie (November 12, 2012 9:04 pm)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You're so nice
You're not good, you're not bad
You're just nice

I'm not good, I'm not nice
I'm just right
I'm the witch
You're the world" - The Witch, Into the Woods

November 12, 2012 9:25 pm  #11

A Week is Just Seven Days Isn't It?

Summary: When John heads overseas for a week, Sherlock's forced to fend for himself. It goes about as well as anyone could have anticipated. Which is to say, very, very poorly. Don't worry, things'll be fine in just seven days.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7873722/1/

No slash, just friendship, with John in action and Sherlock messing at the supermarked. I like it a lot!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

November 15, 2012 12:22 am  #12

Schmiezi wrote:

One of my all-time favourites... I read it aloud quite a few times, and had people rolling on the floor, laughing very hard!

November 15, 2012 8:36 am  #13

Vatican Cameos!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

November 21, 2012 10:07 pm  #14

The Doctor wrote:

Schmiezi wrote:

One of my all-time favourites... I read it aloud quite a few times, and had people rolling on the floor, laughing very hard!

I nearly collapsed with laughter at the supermarket scene. This is hilarious. I love it. 

November 21, 2012 10:46 pm  #15

Davina wrote:

I'm enjoying reading these. Just the occasional Americanism or a turn of phrase that is not quite Brit jars. A good feeling for Sherlock and John's voices.

I'd be very interested to know where the mistakes are!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

November 22, 2012 11:36 am  #16

SusiGo wrote:

The Doctor wrote:

Schmiezi wrote:

I nearly collapsed with laughter at the supermarket scene. This is hilarious. I love it. 

This was amazing. Wonderful story. Funny and emotional. 

November 23, 2012 12:42 pm  #17

I just finished "A Week Is Just Seven Days Isn't It" and liked it so much I left a comment for the author - something I rarely do.  I thought some of her scenes and her dialogue could easily be on the actual show.  That grocery store scene was marvelous - don't we all wish we could do what Sherlock did in that circumstance? .  She did a great job with the other characters too - the scenes with Molly were especially funny!  This is one I'm going to read over and over.

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

November 24, 2012 11:41 am  #18

KeepersPrice wrote:

I just finished "A Week Is Just Seven Days Isn't It"  - this is one I'm going to read over and over.

We had a rather astounishing pub night the other day and started designing fan costumes based on this fic 

December 5, 2012 9:25 am  #19

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

December 16, 2012 10:58 am  #20

I found an evil scary horror story yesterday, and since I am a fan of scary horror stories, it immediately went to my favourites list.
Poor Sherlock is in a psychiatric institute and Lestrade tries to find out why. Sherlock claims to have been attacked by a monster, but of course that's not true ... or is it?

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6443135/1/SM_CASE_FILES

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

Board footera