BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 9, 2012 9:10 pm  #1

The extras

Minor characters - yes. But there isn't a thread about the extras/background actors so far.
Having watched every episode ump...several times by now I realized that there are some extras playing different roles in different episodes. The first who attracted my attention in this point is this busy girl (I'm quite sure that both are played by the same actress). She's a receptionist in TBB and a telephonist in THOB:

Have you noticed any other interesting/funny stuff concerning the extras?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

September 12, 2012 7:45 am  #2

Re: The extras

That certainly does look like the same person, yes, and it wouldn't be that unusual. It's quite possible they use the same agency to get the extras from every time.

I haven't noticed anything like that myself yet, but I'll certainly keep my eyes open next time around.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

September 12, 2012 8:12 am  #3

Maybe she's a Sherlock stalker and changed her job from time to time.
Receptionist and telephonist do not differ that much...

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

September 12, 2012 7:20 pm  #4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC7CvZFgFu0

Andrew Scott said that the girl in this scene (chewing gum scene from TRF) was an extra. He said she needed to be coaxed into the scene a bit.

Heh. Lucky girl.

***********************************************************************************************************************
In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey...you should see me in a crown...

September 13, 2012 7:13 am  #5

And PBS Masterpiece went and cut out her scene! She doesn't speak so no Equity rules broken. What an awful job she had! Coaxed...a bit! Lol!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 13, 2012 6:20 pm  #6

The girl with the blonde braids seems to be a professional passer-by:

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

September 13, 2012 6:32 pm  #7

Davina wrote:

And PBS Masterpiece went and cut out her scene! She doesn't speak so no Equity rules broken. What an awful job she had! Coaxed...a bit! Lol!

Shame on PBS! Really though, I liked Moriarty (and the man playing him) well enough already, but someone sent me that video and I think I may have watched it 5 times in a row. The look he gives her before he says, "Thanks." Mmm-hmmm. You are welcome, sir.

Alright, that's enough of me acting like a 16 year old. (No offense to 16 year olds, but I'm somewhere in the neighborhood of twice that so...yeah.)

***********************************************************************************************************************
In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey...you should see me in a crown...

September 13, 2012 6:36 pm  #8

tobeornot221b wrote:

I would love to be a professional passerby on that set!

September 13, 2012 6:47 pm  #9

Banbha wrote:

tobeornot221b wrote:

I would love to be a professional passerby on that set!

Yup, me too. I mean, I think I could do that. Just walking by...
Well, if they ever need a crowd of, let's say, 400 people for filming - I know where they might find volunteers... 

Thanks for those observations, tobe! Very interesting indeed. I noticed the blonde girl before because I also started paying attention to the people in the background and stuff, but I never realized she was in two different scenes. Might be a neighbour?

September 13, 2012 7:05 pm  #10

Wow...I've never really looked that closely. I'm off work tonight. I think I need to have a Sherlock marathon!

September 16, 2012 12:13 pm  #11

We could rationalize the girl with the blonde braids as a resident of Baker St. That's why we see her passing by occassionally.  Maybe she's Mrs. Turner's granddaughter 

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

September 20, 2012 4:51 pm  #12

There's a guy who's apparently fond of lurking around 221B whenever Sherlock and John would arrive or depart in a taxi.
He can't even be bothered to change clothes  :

From The Blind Banker:

From The Great Game:

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

September 20, 2012 5:01 pm  #13

Shot more or less at the same time I think. If you check out the parked cars.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 20, 2012 5:04 pm  #14

You're right, Davina! 

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

September 20, 2012 5:22 pm  #15

I see and I observe. Should have been a detective! Lol!

September 21, 2012 1:56 am  #16

Davina wrote:

Shot more or less at the same time I think. If you check out the parked cars.

That was my immediate thought too. They've said before that they only really film for about a week in London itself. I imagine they film whatever footage they need for all three episodes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

September 23, 2012 9:36 pm  #17

Haha, this is what happens to the fandom when they make us wait for Series 3!

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

September 24, 2012 2:09 am  #18

I KNOW! It's cruel and unusual punishment

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

September 28, 2012 4:47 pm  #19

We also have busy kids as extras, precisely: Kids on photos.
At least two of them appear in ASiP and TRF.

PINK:

FALL:

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

November 14, 2012 12:08 pm  #20

tobeornot221b wrote:

Professional passer-by ROFL 
Tobe,  your observational skills are marvelous..too good man... 

Last edited by monitaa (November 14, 2012 12:09 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look at those cheekbones, I could cut myself slapping that face… would you like me to try?

Board footera