BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 10, 2012 3:39 am  #1

Sherlock Holmes Quiz 10/04/12

Okay I've put together a quiz that is mostly BBC Sherlock and part behind-the-scenes stuff. I'm nowhere near as good at this as Kazza and SH are so my apologies - Kazza's quiz is a hard act to follow!

Well...here goes.

1) What is the significance of John's blog counter being stuck on 1895?
2) What was the name of the cabbie in Study in Pink, and why?
3) Which line did Benedict lament as being poorly delivered in A Scandal in Belgravia? (source: commentary)
4) What was the key feature of Martin Freeman's audition that landed him the role?
5) Who has been replaced in A Scandal in Belgravia?
6) What does HOUND stand for?
7) Page 15, Entry 1
8) Where did Ian Monkford go?
9) What's John's theory about the rivalry between Mycroft and Sherlock?
10) Who are the three directors who've worked on Sherlock, which episodes did they direct, and which of them had not worked with Moffat before?

BUMPED THIS IN CASE ANY NEWCOMERS WOULD LIKE TO TRY THE QUIZ.
*****WARNING, SPOILERS BELOW WHERE WE'VE LISTED ANSWERS.********

Last edited by kazza474 (May 23, 2012 3:51 am)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

April 10, 2012 7:21 am  #2

Re: Sherlock Holmes Quiz 10/04/12

Actually these are very good! Not all of them are immediately obvious so some research/rewatching of certain scenes is required.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 12, 2012 8:38 am  #3

Well, I finally got round to having a go. I really enjoyed these actually. I tried to do as many as I could without looking. The only one I checked up on was the last question. 

Because it's always 1895! It's a running joke amongst Sherlockians. There's no actual significance to it within the episode, although Sherlock initially thinks it's a message and that 1895 is the code to get into Irene's phone.

Not sure his name is actually mentioned in ASIP but in the canon the cabbie's name is Jeff Hope (Jefferson I think). I don't know why though.

3) Which line did Benedict lament as being poorly delivered in A Scandal in Belgravia? (source: commentary)
Don't Know, haven't checked yet....

4) What was the key feature of Martin Freeman's audition that landed him the role?
I've read somewhere that Benedict had already been cast as Sherlock and that when they saw Martin they could see that they instantly looked right together and had a good rapport. Not sure if that's the answer you were looking for though.

I think you might be referring to the man who's auntie died and who said he "knows human ash".

HOUND is the initials of everyone who worked on the original project/experiment. I can't remember their names but it's on a photograph they see on the internet.

7) Page 15, Entry 1
Deadman??

Somewhere in South America...maybe Buenos Aires??

That Sherlock broke Mycroft's action man and stole all his Easter eggs!

10) Who are the three directors who've worked on Sherlock, which episodes did they direct, and which of them had not worked with Moffat before?
Paul McGuigan (ASIP, TGG, ASIB, THOB), Euros Lyn (TBB), Toby Haynes (TRF). Euros Lyn was the newbie.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 12, 2012 9:03 am  #4

Here's my contribution:

I think it has to do with something about the canon, a poem or something like that. I've read it somewhere, but I can't fully remember right now.

Jeff (source: end credits for A Study in Pink, I don't remember it being mentioned in the episode, nor in the pilot).

I really don't know, but I think I remember something about his response to Irene's "I would have you in this desk etc.". I think he said something like he should have answered her right away or something like that (without subtitles there are things I really don't get).

What our Sherlock said: they saw he really matched Benedict and they had a great chemistry. I seem to have something about his sense of humour in the bottom of my head, but not sure about that...

I don't know what you're referring to but... Sherlock's text alert?

The names of the people involved in the experiment in Liberty, Indiana.

7) Page 15, Entry 1
Deadman

I think it was Colombia.

That Mycroft nicked his Smurfs and broke his Action Men.

As Sherlock already said: Paul McGuigan (ASIP, TGG, ASIB, THOB), Euros Lyn (TBB), Toby Haynes (TRF).

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

April 12, 2012 9:09 am  #5

These are good questions and I haven't had time to do them yet but shall have time on the weekend.
Certainly they need to be studied, don't underestimate how tough they are!

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

April 13, 2012 10:09 am  #6

I would like to address the poem of which you speak.  It's called "221B" by Vincent Starett, one of the first and most famous Sherlockians.  You can google it if you would like to read the poem.  One can learn worlds of information by googling.

April 14, 2012 9:07 am  #7

Er...what poem? Are you trolling Dr Sherlock? tsk tsk tsk for shame.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 15, 2012 7:42 am  #8

1895 was the year Sherlock was supposedly at his peak & a poem was written about it also.
221B
Here dwell together still two men of note
Who never lived and so can never die:
How very near they seem, yet how remote
That age before the world went all awry.
But still the game’s afoot for those with ears
Attuned to catch the distant view-halloo:
England is England yet, for all our fears–
Only those things the heart believes are true.

A yellow fog swirls past the window-pane
As night descends upon this fabled street:
A lonely hansom splashes through the rain,
The ghostly gas lamps fail at twenty feet.
Here, though the world explode, these two survive,
And it is always eighteen ninety-five.
– Vincent Starrett

Jeff Hope - this is a call back to a murdering cabbie in Study in Scarlett - Jefferson Hope

"This is low tar."

Moffat said '...the moment they put Martin with Benedict, it changed Benedict and the way he played the role. He was suddenly more like Sherlock Holmes'.

Sarah was John's girlfriend in earlier shows, now she's been replaced by Jeannette, the boring English Teacher.

The initials of the team members of the program being run at Baskerville:
Hansen
O’Mara
Uslowski
Nader
Dyson

7) Page 15, Entry 1
Deadman

Columbia

Sibling rivalry : "nicked his Smurfs and broke his Action Man"

Paul McGuigan - Study, Great Game , Scandal & Hound
Euros Lyn- Blind Banker
Toby Haynes - Reichenbach
Paul McGuigan hadn't worked with Moffat before, in fact hadn't done TV before! It was Sue Vertue who suggested him to hubby Steve; the other 2 have done Dr Who  shows so would have worked with Mr 'Dr Who' Moffat.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

April 15, 2012 10:25 am  #9

I'll do the answers tomorrow night so if anyone else wants to chip in, that's how much time you have!

April 16, 2012 12:29 pm  #10

1.    What is the significance of John’s Blog counter being stuck on 1895?
Sherlockian in-joke that says it's always 1895. I didn't know about the poem before - thanks!
2.    What was the name of the cabbie character in Study in Pink, and why?
Jeff Hope – name of the original murderer in A Study in Scarlet was Jefferson Hope
3.    Which line did Benedict lament as being poorly delivered in A Scandal in Belgravia (from commentary)
This is low tar (emphasis on low rather than tar)
4.    What was the key feature of Martin Freeman’s audition that landed him the role?
The dynamic between Martin and Benedict enhanced the way Benedict played Sherlock
5.    Who has been replaced in A Scandal in Belgravia?
The aunt’s ashes
6.    What does HOUND stand for?
Leonard Hansen, Jack O’Mara, Mary Uslowski, Rick Nader and Elaine Dyson
7.    Page 15, Entry 1
Deadmans Lane
8.    Where did Ian Monkford go?
Columbia – The Great Game
9.    What’s John’s theory about the rivalry between Mycroft and Sherlock?
Nicked all his Smurfs…broke his action man.
10.    There are three directors who’ve worked on the 6 episodes of Sherlock. Who are they, which episodes did they direct, and which director had not worked with Moffat before?
Paul McGuigan – A Study in Pink, The Great Game, A Scandal in Belgravia and The Hounds of Baskerville. Paul McGuigan had not worked with Moffat before.
Euros Lyn – directed The Blind Banker. Has directed three of Moffat’s Doctor Who episodes.
Toby Haynes – directed The Reichenbach Fall. Has directed five of Moffat’s Doctor Who episodes.

Kazza got the most correct answers!

April 17, 2012 1:12 am  #11

5.    Who has been replaced in A Scandal in Belgravia?
The aunt’s ashes

DOH!
I couldn't think of what that could mean so came up with the nearest thing lol.

Great quiz.
So who's up next? Will someone put their hand up to do a quiz?

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

April 17, 2012 1:21 pm  #12

Yeah. He says "I know she's been replaced". It was a bit cryptic...but cryptic can be fun. Especially when you know the answer lol.

April 17, 2012 1:25 pm  #13

YAY! I'm so pleased I got that one!

April 17, 2012 2:28 pm  #14

No-one notice that Moffat always uses a 'Jeff' in his shows?

Jeff from 'Coupling', Jeff from 'The Eleventh Hour', Santa's called Jeff (Apparently), There's a David Jefford in both 'Press Gang' and 'Chalk' and a fluttering of Jeffs throughout his work.

I thought the lack of mentioning the cab driver's name within the show was a nod to the fact he usually always tries to. Probably me just over thinking things.

Great quiz! Who is up for the next one?

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

April 17, 2012 2:48 pm  #15

Are you going to do one then?

April 17, 2012 4:57 pm  #16

It would seem by reply etiquette that it's me you're referring to...

I will put something together but it wouldn't be for this week. Perhaps next week!

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

April 17, 2012 5:00 pm  #17

Everyone else took one pace back! Lol

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 17, 2012 6:34 pm  #18

Yeah that's fine - we can wait till next week!

May 23, 2012 3:51 am  #19

BUMPED for newcomers to try out.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

Board footera