BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 8, 2012 12:10 pm  #21

Re: Analysis of Mycroft's character

Oh yeah, I forgot that Mycroft was one of the founders. I'd love to be part of a club like that, it'd be hilarious.

Went to the Liberal Club recently for a Sherlock Holmes Society meeting, wow, that's a nice place.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

November 8, 2012 5:47 pm  #22

I'm not sure hilarity would be on the agenda somehow!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

November 9, 2012 2:35 am  #23

The shared cigarette scene outside the mortuary in Scandal sheds some light on the fact that both Sherlock and Mycroft are alike in how they view and employ emotion. Yet there seems to be some emotional undercurrent to whatever issue or issues estrange them. I'd sure like to know more about what that is. It can't just be Sherlock's bohemian counterculture ways agitating Mycroft's prim and proper upper crust sensibilities. There must be something deeper. Hopefully we will get a chance to see it

Disguise is always a self portrait

November 9, 2012 5:30 am  #24

I agree, their relationship fascinates me. And, whatever is at the core of their estrangement intrigues me. I've fervently hoped that they would explore that in future episodes, but I heard Moffat say he had no interest in doing that, which totally bummed me out. Not sure how Gatiss feels about it. But, maybe they'll change their minds or at least give us more little hints along the way, if nothing else.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

November 11, 2012 3:14 am  #25

kazza474 wrote:

I think for the most part we can take it that the characters have been taken from the canon & expanded upon. That being the case, and from Mycroft's attitude in the club he is in fact a co-founder of the club.

I don't really think his membership of the club shows him to be a loner. His job with the Government demands a lot of contact with people this is one of the many contrasts he has with Sherlock's characters that stands out & adds to the 'conflict' they have.
I think his involvement with the club & its patrons shows how he appears to be a manipulative force within the Government actually.

I think that the Club is probably one that dates back the Victorian Era, or at least mid-20th century, because there was something in 1972 that no one wants a repeat of.

I'm still wondering what happened in 1972. While we're on the Diogenes Club, speculations anyone?

Of course, because I'm not in the loop with recent British history, that could be something else entirely that happened in England that year. Is there something that I'm missing?

(Edit: Is he talking about the events that year involving Ireland?)

Last edited by Smoggy_London_Air (November 11, 2012 3:19 am)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

November 11, 2012 9:05 am  #26

There is a thread about 1972 from ages ago. There doesn't seem to be anything specific about the year that could involve the club.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

November 21, 2012 3:54 pm  #27

Even if the club was founded the year of whatever happened, in 1972, Mycroft would have been a toddler, and therefore not a founder.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

February 4, 2013 12:33 pm  #28

Thanks for sharing wonderful Analysis of Mycroft's character .It is just awesome.

February 4, 2013 7:11 pm  #29

Irene Adler wrote:

He always carries an umbrella, no matter it's a sunny day (misterious umbrella, isn't it?)

Maybe it doubles as a gun?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Richard Brook is Make Believe!

February 4, 2013 7:29 pm  #30

If you look in the old thread : Mycroft Holmes and his drama you will see more about the use of umbrellas in espionage.

March 29, 2013 2:36 pm  #31

Ah ETA ignore this. Anthea also wears a ring on the right hand. Interesting. Do the masons not wear a ring on their right hand?

__________________________________________________________________________________

He wears a ring on his right hand

In Britain this mainly indicates a same sex marriage

But it can, I believe, indicate widower status.

Either are possible, I guess (though I think its obvious which the show hints at). What I find interesting is that a. he has or has had a significant relationship b. he wishes to be open about this and c. if it is a same sex relationship it is highly unlikely, even in uber-tolerant Sherlock alternative reality world, to be one of conveniance. 

In Britain men do not always even wear wedding rings. He could certainly be married without wearing a ring, so the only reason to wear it is a. either that he sees it as politically helpful or b. that he cares enough to take the hit.

All this falls away if he is widowed, I guess, or if he's using widowerhood as the pretext for the ring. But, yk, on seeing a ring on the right hand I think most in the know Brits would assume a same sex marriage.

So this says to me that there is someone he cares about as well as Sherlock. Given this its interesting that we never see this person, that they are never referenced. Every single character that meets him must wonder and wonder how this intergrates with him as the "Ice Queen". 

And given this, why do Irene and Moriaty use Sherlock to get to Mycroft? Not whoever this person is he wears a ring for?

(I've read that it was actually a production mistake-that the ring was left on by accident. But note he's still wearing it in later scenes, and still on the right hand. I've just run a check on google images and he's wearing it whenever we see his right hand, so my guess is that they decided to run with it and I want to see where they are going. Aside from anything, the idea that the man who "is the British government" is married to another man is a really splendid coup for tolerance. I think.)

Last edited by beekeeper (March 29, 2013 2:52 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"
John Watson : "To be fair, that is quite a wide field"

The Hounds of Baskerville

March 29, 2013 2:59 pm  #32

He is the very definition of an older brother-always watching out for him. In his own Holmesian distorted way.

He is like canon but I like to think Gatiss is such a nice man that the character does have some inadvertent warmth that shouldn't be there. 

He has a knack for  over-riding CCTV cameras and ATM machines.

He's married to his work in much the same way Sherlock is married to his work as a detective.

A bit of sibling rivalry with Sherlock-the bit about Mummy always hated us fighting.

Last edited by tardislass (March 29, 2013 3:00 pm)

March 15, 2014 6:00 pm  #33

Mycroft has a cold exterior (irene/moriarty called him the ice man). However it seems that only sherlock can melt the ice, he only shouts at sherlock and he has never lost his temper with anyone else. This seems to me that mycroft has constantly become irritated by his 'stupid' younger brother when he was younger, and as sherlock grew older he became more irritated.  Mycroft has also because he is older developed more control over his emotions but it seems not for his younger brother, who even though he doesn't show it he loves him deep down. "Caring is not an advantage sherlock"

Don't talk out loud Anderson, you lower the IQ of the whole street,

March 26, 2014 5:51 pm  #34

I never thought of Mycroft as an cold exterior person. He often smiles (even its sarcastic) and his soft calm voice doesn't let me think of a cold or cool person. He seems to be asexual too (runs in the family? ;-)). So he is obviously not a hot-blooded or passionate person in that matter. In this and in his way of keep cool and keep the upperhand in risky situations he might be the "Ice Man."

But I made some other thoughts about Mycroft.
Care? Participation? Or Revenge? What a meaning of these words? 'How would you know?'
In 'Scandal in Belgravia' Sherlock says: "Sex doesn’t alarm me!" Mycroft: "How would you know?"
In 'Empty Hearse' this time Mycroft says: "I am not lonely, Sherlock!" Sherlock replies: "How would you know?"

...and
The slang word “blud” is used in a situation of great thankfulness to express Sherlock’s gladness.
The very fond: “Brother dear” are used in opposite situations ironically meant. 
That's interesting.

~Please. Killing me, that's so two years ago!~

April 22, 2014 8:39 pm  #35

There is a scene in Series 3 which I really can't remember anything about it, Mycroft was making a phone call, to Sherlock I think (no not the one where he is in running tights).
He was dressed so casually, I mean, he was a lot more undressed than we've ever seen him before. No suit in sight, just a crisp white shirt and a tie, messy hair. Where was he? Was he at someone's home? In his own home? We've never seen him this way. He is really casual.
This scene made me ask some questions.

SH: Can’t handle a broken heart? How very telling.
MH: Don’t be smart.
SH: That takes me back. [adopts creepy child voice]“Don’t be smart Sherlock, I’m the smart one.”
MH [darkly]: I am the smart one.
SH: I used to think I was an idiot
MH: I'm living in a world of goldfish.
SH: I don’t know. No, I thought perhaps you might have found yourself a…goldfish.
MH: Change the subject. Now.

May 1, 2014 9:45 pm  #36

That's the end of HLV, I think, where he calls Sherlock back. If I remember correctly he wears a black suit and a white shirt. What I found interesting was his smile. 

Board footera