BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 8, 2012 7:20 am  #1

Monty Python Comedy Wants To Add Benedict Cumberbatch

Member of the Monty Python comedy troupe have stayed extremely busy over the years with solo side projects, but they haven’t collaborated on a feature-film comedy since 1983’s Monty Python’s The Meaning of Life. Plans have been underway to reunite the team for a new project since 2010, though the progress has hit multiple obstacles and seemed to have been stuck in the mud … until now.

Absolutely Anything, a comedy that Python member Terry Jones plans to direct, added Gemma Arterton to its ensemble according to The Wrap, and is negotiating to bring Benedict Cumberbatch into the fold. The picture now plans to begin filming in the first quarter of 2013, and will feature voiceover work from Python alumni like Terry Gilliam, Michael Palin and John Cleese. Robin Williams also has been mentioned as a star willing to lend his voice to the comedy.

The Wrap says that Anything would follow a teacher who suddenly discovers he can make anything happen with the simple wave of his hand. How does he handle this newfound God-like ability? Since it’s a Python comedy, I’m willing to bet that things don’t work in the teacher’s favor … at least, at the onset.

Adding talented folks like Arterton and Cumberbatch to a cast is a solid idea, but truthfully, Python fans will turn out to see what the members of their beloved comedy troupe have cooked up, especially after having to wait for so long between Python projects. We’ll see if this casting news finally means that Absolutely Anything is ready to get serious, begin production, and set a release date. Stay tuned.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Monty-Python-Comedy-Wants-Add-Benedict-Cumberbatch-33973.html/

November 8, 2012 7:29 am  #2

Re: Monty Python Comedy Wants To Add Benedict Cumberbatch

I love Monty Python, "Life of Brian" is one of my favourite comedies of all time (and such an intelligent film). Could be interesting to see something new after all those years as long as they don't blow up and explode Benedict. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 8, 2012 7:35 am  #3

First quarter of 2013 is not very likely for start of filming for Benedict though, as that is when Sherlock is being filmed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

November 8, 2012 5:37 pm  #4

Impossible, I would say.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 8, 2012 5:56 pm  #5

Oh let it be true!

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

November 8, 2012 6:06 pm  #6

Yup - filming for Sherlock is supposed to start in January 2013 and I think it was Martin who predicted it might take until April to complete.  Tobe and I plan to be in London in March and I am completely convinced that the crew will be filming exterior shots of the big reunion between John and Sherlock right outside my hotel.  Ha! Ha!
Therefore, Ben can not be filming for Monty Python. As much as I love Python, Sherlock comes first!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

November 8, 2012 7:10 pm  #7

I'm in London April. I always visit Speedy's when I'm in town!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 8, 2012 10:33 pm  #8

It normally takes about 12 weeks for them to film the three episodes I believe.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

November 9, 2012 2:02 am  #9

I was a big Fawlty Towers Fan but i have to say I never got Monty Python. Of course Ben's association with this makes anything palatable

Disguise is always a self portrait

November 9, 2012 5:24 am  #10

I've never really been of Monty Python either, but I will certainly give it a second go if Benedict decides to join them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

November 9, 2012 7:02 am  #11

I only saw bits of Python when I was young,as my dad wouldn't have it on.
But I like all the films.

November 9, 2012 8:24 am  #12

I remember my religious education teacher showing us The Life of Brian - as a deterrent. It didn't work too well because those who knew the film - like me - kept laughing and quoting the best bits. I think it's quite clever and with much truth in it. And it's one of very few films in which the German dubbing is really up to the original. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 9, 2012 8:28 am  #13

Like you besleybean...not allowed to watch it at home at the time. I enjoyed the films though.

November 9, 2012 5:12 pm  #14

Did I see something on Twitter denying this story now?

July 8, 2013 2:37 pm  #15

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

July 9, 2013 2:26 am  #16

Benedict Cumberbatch in a Monty Python film...I'm dead aren't I? I've died and gone to heaven? *re-reads article* Yep, I must've!  I just...I just LOVE Monty Python! Been watching them my whole life, I was so excited when I found out there were making a film together after all these years, and now Benedict Cumberbatch will probably be in the film???  Gimme a moment...*runs outside and starts screaming with joy* 

-------------------------------------------------------

July 9, 2013 3:25 am  #17

SilverMoonDragonB wrote:

Benedict Cumberbatch in a Monty Python film...I'm dead aren't I? I've died and gone to heaven? *re-reads article* Yep, I must've!  I just...I just LOVE Monty Python! Been watching them my whole life, I was so excited when I found out there were making a film together after all these years, and now Benedict Cumberbatch will probably be in the film???  Gimme a moment...*runs outside and starts screaming with joy* 

**Joins you in the screaming**
Excuse me while I spend the rest of the day quoting random Monty Python lines that relate to nothing... Ni! ... It's... Go away before I taunt you a second time... and now for something completely different... *fish slap* ...

================================================================

July 9, 2013 3:41 am  #18

Michele wrote:

SilverMoonDragonB wrote:

Excuse me while I spend the rest of the day quoting random Monty Python lines that relate to nothing... Ni! ... It's... Go away before I taunt you a second time... and now for something completely different... *fish slap* ...

"This parrots dead!" "No it isn't, he's just resting." ..."Your mother was a hamster and you father smelt of elderberries!"..."Big Nose!"..."Blessed are the Cheesemakers!"

I'll stop there before I get too off topic...

Last edited by SilverMoonDragonB (July 9, 2013 3:42 am)

-------------------------------------------------------

July 9, 2013 6:13 am  #19

SilverMoonDragonB wrote:

Michele wrote:

SilverMoonDragonB wrote:

"This parrots dead!" "No it isn't, he's just resting." ..."Your mother was a hamster and you father smelt of elderberries!"..."Big Nose!"..."Blessed are the Cheesemakers!"

I'll stop there before I get too off topic...

Yeah. We wouldn't want to lose our heads...

================================================================

July 9, 2013 6:23 am  #20

Holy Grail will always be my favorite.  We watched it in Latin class when I was in high school, and my Latin teacher was chanting "Die jesu domine" with the monks.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

Board footera