BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 29, 2012 11:26 pm  #1

What do you do when you're not doing Sherlock?

OK, so when you're not on this forum, or another Sherlock related site, or Tumblr, Twitter or Facebook...and when you're not watching Sherlock, or reading ACD, or watching any other incarnations of the great Mr Holmes...what do you do? I mean, it's kind of hard to find the time to do anything else I know...but do you guys have jobs or d'you go to school/college or are you retired or what?

Personally I'm a writer...but that basically means I stay at home all day on my computer "working" when actually I'm doing Sherlock related stuff. Both my parents are writers so it was kind of natural for me to move into the same field. I've done a writing degree, made my own short film, had a stage play put on by amateur dramatics and written a few trial scripts for various TV programmes but so far not actually made any money from it. As for non Sherlock related hobbies, I play bass in a rock n roll band which is where I get my main income from doing gigs at weekends.

What about you guys?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 29, 2012 11:33 pm  #2

Re: What do you do when you're not doing Sherlock?

I've mentioned this once before - even putting an obvious clue in there to make it apparent - volunteering too much personal information on the internet can be dangerous.

It doesn't have to be dangerous at this point in time, however further down the tracks other situations might occur and information, once out, is hard to put away again.

Fanatics put John Lennon in the grave and had a go at George Harrison. I'm pretty sure they didn't think that was going to happen when they were singing away at The Cavern Club in Liverpool or in the ashram of Maharishi Mahesh Yogi.

Sparking up a PM friendship with people you get along with is one thing - placing it openly for the whole world to see is another altogether.

-m0r

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

March 29, 2012 11:54 pm  #3

That's cool. I don't blame you for not wanting to reveal any personal info. The internet can be a weird place.

March 30, 2012 2:04 am  #4

I used to have much more personal info out there than I should have. I'm on a bit of a campaign to shut it all down. Started with deleting Facebook and other unnecessary accounts. So I get it, M0r1arty, I'm a bit the same lately

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

March 30, 2012 9:58 am  #5

I understand what m0r1arty and Wholocked say, but anyway, I have no problem in telling you I'm a music teacher and researcher.
I am a compulsive reader, I love cinema (some day I'll tell you more about that), I try to hang out with my friends as much as I can and I love playing golf   

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

March 30, 2012 12:11 pm  #6

I've never played golf but I gotta admit - I don't see the attraction!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

March 30, 2012 2:09 pm  #7

Wholocked wrote:

I've never played golf but I gotta admit - I don't see the attraction!!

I didn't see it either until I tried. I thought it had to be plainly boring, but believe me, it's become a drug to me 

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

March 30, 2012 2:34 pm  #8

Hey, pretty interesting stuff! Thanks for sharing!

This is what I do when I'm not doing Sherlock related stuff...

-I work from home. (and like our dear admin, I spend way too much time doing Sherlock related stuff!)
-I write fanfic.
-I play a lot of soccer (sorry, football!)
-I read a lot. (I'm going through a Michael Chabon phase.)
-My family keeps me busy as well. I drive them crazy with my constant Sherlocking! ;D

Irene, I used to play golf! (too time consuming now that I have kids)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Moriarty: "How hard do you find it? Having to say 'I don't know' ?"
Sherlock: "I don't know."
Moriarty: "Oh that's clever, that's very clever, awfully clever."

March 30, 2012 5:32 pm  #9

What do I do, when I'm not sherlocking? (Could that be a new verb?) I write and work, I absolutely love music (classical music, especially opera, blues, jazz, rock) I paint, but most of all I read. I'm really a compulsive reader, and and my kindle in connection with all the classical literature at gutenberg.org is probably my best electronic friend. And I'm crazy about movies. Unfortunately my husband (who loves music, too) doesn't share that passion, but I'm perfectly capable of going alone to the movies, if something interests me, or watch dvd's alone. Actually it can be very relaxing at times. I can fully concentrate on the movie.My younger son shares my love for the movies, and it's wonderful to watch old movies with a young person. Having done competitive sport myself during my school and university days, I love to watch sports nowadays, especially tennis. But my family and my dog keep me more than active.
All that said, I have to confess, that sherlocking is really time consuming, so I had to cut down a bit with reading to gain the amount of free time. But I consider puzzling and writing about 'Sherlock' a creative exercise. It's time well spent - at least for a while, lol!

April 11, 2012 2:01 am  #10

Oh! I'm a Science student who should be at school if I wasn't on strike, so I have plenty of free time these days. I want to be a cosmologist and a science-fiction writer with a philosophy degree. Well, I would also like to do neuroscience and quantum chemistry, but I can't stay at school all my life : (. So, I spend my free time at reading, writing, watching TV series and trying to draw Sherlock xD. And doing a lot of homework... My name also comes from my passion for space, because when Andromeda will hit the Milky Way, our galaxy will become Milkomeda. Really, I don't know why I find it funny xD.

Last edited by Milkomeda (April 11, 2012 2:10 am)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Wanted! Schrödinger's cat. Dead and alive."

April 11, 2012 7:25 pm  #11

Usually its Sherlocking (that word should be put in the English dictionary!) but when I’m not Sherlocking I will be doing what most 13 year olds do such as:

Watching film/ T.V

Jamming on my guitar

At school, which lately. My class if far to easy I get all of my work don at the beginning of the lesson (the teachers never move people up, they’re stupid!) and I have all the time for “Sherlocking†

Going out with friends or family, shopping, swimming, going to see relatives. and all that jazz.

Stargazing, making robots, other science related stuff! (@Milkomeda 6th June, did you hear about Jupiter crossing past the sun?)

Learning Mandarin Chinese (Yes. I am learning mandarin Chinese!)

Gaming

Listening to music!

And that’s pretty much it… But most of the time I'm sherlocking one way or another!

- Y.S.H

DI Lestrade: Sherlock we...
Sherlock Holmes: Oh what now? I'm in shock! Look, I've got a blanket.

April 11, 2012 9:57 pm  #12

Hey, Young Sherlock and milkomeda, you got pretty full days, full of unusual interests, lol! You have so much important and interesting stuff at hand, that sherlocking sounds pretty unimportant- but the makers of the show would probably be proud to have such broadly interested fans!

April 11, 2012 10:26 pm  #13

honestly, My life's not that interesting. I hardly go out with my friends because I have a leg and back condition (nothing you can actually see though. I sometimes can't walk and I'm not aloud to go to school, though academically I'm supposedly to smart for my class but the teachers can't be bothered to move me up!) so I'm at home an awful lot. I spend every moment I can get sherlocking, really. When I've finished my school work, break times when my friends are yapping on and I'm just sat reading the Sherlock books or browsing the internet news for any sherlock-related stories and not really caring that they forgot their homework,  anytime at home (which is a lot) and all that,so it is quite a big thing in my life at the moment! =) =) =) I'm training to be a detective but
nothing ever happens in this little English village... =/

- Y.S.H

Last edited by Young Sherlock Holmes (April 11, 2012 10:37 pm)

April 11, 2012 10:48 pm  #14

When I was your age I was into Sherlock too and I used to get all my friends at school to play along...I handed out parts. I had a John, Mycroft, Mrs Hudson, Moriarty and Lestrade, and we all used to run around school doing crazy adventures. 

April 11, 2012 11:02 pm  #15

only I and one other of my friends are into Sherlock. Well some of them watch it but no one loves it like me! XD I am desperate to be the first female version if ever there was to be one. But I know the chances are slim!

I convinced the one friend I was Sherlock and right this second he still believes. (I call him John even though that is not his name) he tried to outsmart me and miserably failed. He isn't into it half as much as me. Which is really annoying because I have no one to share it with! =(

who where you, if you don't mind me asking?

- Y.S.H

April 11, 2012 11:18 pm  #16

I was Sherlock of course!  I used to have a microscope and literally crawl around on the floor looking at "footprints", and I was forever getting thrown out of Chemistry class for messing around too much with the chemicals and bunsen burners etc. Good times!

None of my friends really liked Sherlock either I just sort of forced it on them, but they all liked acting and playing games so I just gave them parts and told them what to do.

April 11, 2012 11:50 pm  #17

I thought you where judging by your username! in school I'm known as the "class geek" especially in science! My science teacher loves me because i'm alway telling her new things... Which is kind of weird! =/ I wear my Sherlock coat and (used to wear a scarf but some kid stole it!) and I'm ALWAYS getting asked what the answers are... My science teacher set fire to the class once... Or so I am told!

Some of the kids do watch it. But I know they aren't into it like me, its obvious! Then again I'm glad because it sets me apart from the "crowd." =)
I really wish we where doing Sherlock holmes instead of great expectations. I know its a classic,but please we're reading it 10 times per lesson! =/

April 12, 2012 1:00 am  #18

They should have a special class called Sherlockian Studies where you learn only about Sherlock Holmes related stuff. There's so much of it you could do a whole degree on the subject.

April 12, 2012 7:50 am  #19

Yeah! And it teaches you deduction! Also: you get to watch every Sherlock related film and programme ever made after reading the books for homework/class!!! Yes, that is a great idea! =)

April 12, 2012 8:19 am  #20

Some other things you might learn about in Sherlockian Studies:

Chemistry
Geography (learning every street in London off by heart)
Fighting
Lock Picking
Criminal Law

Board footera