BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 8, 2012 8:19 pm  #1

Twitter Hacked

Hi, I thought I'd better post an apology to anyone who has received a message, linking to a video, apparently from me. I logged on to my email tonight to discover messages from several of you. I only opened one, but I suspect the contents of the others will be the same. I haven't sent out any links. Please don't open anything that fits this description.

In the meantime, if anyone can advise me as to what I can do to stop it happening I'd be eternally grateful

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 8, 2012 8:25 pm  #2

Re: Twitter Hacked

Thank you Jane.
Got a private mail from you via twitter, linked to a video.
I wanted to watch the video but was told to update my FlashPlayer. Or similar, don't remember exactly. I downloaded the update (exe) file, but then noticed the name was written wrong. (One letter too much). Found this suspicious and decided to delete the file and send you an answer instead.

Sadly I have no idea how to stop this. I just remember by now that this mail ("What are you doing in this video?") was a quite common trick years ago.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

November 8, 2012 8:29 pm  #3

Maybe you should send a tweet to your followers NOT to open the message/download the file as the fake-mail apparently has been sent to them?

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

November 8, 2012 8:32 pm  #4

Will do, but the names that came up were all members of this forum so I came here first. I have now changed my password as suggested on the site.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 8, 2012 8:35 pm  #5

I've not had one form you Jane, but I have from another member of this board...
Same thing happened to me...I've had to reset my password 3 times!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 8, 2012 8:56 pm  #6

Yes, I follow you on twitter and remember it happening. But as you don't follow me  you (hopefully) won't be affected. I haven;t opened any emails or looked on twitter until a short time ago and (being a relative newbie on twitter) it gradually dawned on me what had happened.

Thanks for letting me know you're OK though, just seen your tweet 

November 8, 2012 9:05 pm  #7

There was a phase where loads of celebs seemed to get hacked.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 8, 2012 10:40 pm  #8

It is happening today to several people including celebrities such as David Mitchell, the comedian.  I messaged Jane to see what it was before I fully opened it. Got as far as going onto the link but went no further than that, luckily as I smelled a rat! Bit weird that it is several people on this forum...

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

November 9, 2012 6:59 am  #9

My pal who it happened to first(I knew of), is not of this forum...or any, actually!

November 9, 2012 8:32 am  #10

Just a coincidence then. In that case it is probably a large number of people affected and that includes members of this forum as part of the general Twitterati.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera