BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 15, 2012 2:17 pm  #1

Hunger Games & Avatar

I felt the need to go to the cinema a few days ago and, as it is school holidays here, just about everything showing was a kids movie. Hunger Games seemed the most suitable for a non-school kid so I decided to give it a go and I'm glad I did. I like futuristic stories that don't involve magic or such silliness. The story was plausible in a sort of Doctor Who way. in that I thought, yeh, that could maybe happen. The girl playing Katniss is a great young actress and will go far as long as she doesn't go too Hollywood. And it was cool to see an Aussie boy, one of the Helmsworth brothers, in a nice supporting role. I've downloaded the first book of the series to my Kindle (my other happy place).

From the sublime to the ridiculous, I have just watched Avatar on tv. This is the highest grossing film of all-time, or somesuch? Maybe it needs to be seen in 3D because I thought it was a load of crap. The story was so predictable, I knew what would happen from the first 5 minutes. And don't you just know it is some Hollywood guy's idea of what women should look like, all long legs and tiny waist, god help us. I had to snicker at Sam Worthington's accent, I could hear the Aussie coming out all the time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

April 15, 2012 3:46 pm  #2

Re: Hunger Games & Avatar

Not sure about the women part here because the men look much the same as well. Definitely right on the Aussie accent coming through though. Actually a highly politicised film with fairly clear links back to Vietnam, Native American extermination, logging and mining in South and Central America and other conflicts in the Middle East (oil) amd Afghanistan. Cameron is in many ways NOT your typical Hollywood producer. He's not even American. I would say that is is better in 3d having watched it in the cinema and on TV.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 15, 2012 5:20 pm  #3

A lot of people seem to be obsessed with this at the moment...what is the history of it?? Was it a book or something?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 15, 2012 6:10 pm  #4

The hunger games was, yes. My best friends LOVE it. When I was trying to read a study in scarlet.... they started lecturing me on it!

I don't think avatar was but that's a really good film, revolutionary I should say!

Last edited by Young Sherlock Holmes (April 15, 2012 6:12 pm)

DI Lestrade: Sherlock we...
Sherlock Holmes: Oh what now? I'm in shock! Look, I've got a blanket.

April 15, 2012 10:24 pm  #5

Well, Hunger Games is a trilogy. The first has a good concept, the second is pretty much the same as the first (-_-) but is good and I haven't read the last one. The story is interesting (I love dystopia : )), but I hate love triangle and it was becoming that at the end of the second. I was hoping that Katniss died, so I didn't continue xD. I just hope the movies will focus more on the story than on romance, because I really don't care about romance.
And for Avatar... Well, I didn't like it too. Visually stunning and beautiful, but the story is really weak, too predictable and they always use the same story again and again...

Last edited by Milkomeda (April 15, 2012 10:25 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Wanted! Schrödinger's cat. Dead and alive."

April 15, 2012 11:45 pm  #6

I think the thing that really took me about Avatar was the imagination in creating the world. The creatures, the mythos, the interconnectedness of all living things. The plot is very formulaic and I don't think that's what people were really taking away from it. It was stunningly made and imagined and that's what I took from it. If it had had a unique plot it would have been truly amazing.

Hunger Games I haven't seen. I have borrowed the book from a friend, though she says this is one of the few she would recommend seeing the movie first and then reading the book so I haven't started reading it yet. Haven't seen the film yet!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

April 16, 2012 6:15 am  #7

If you like the Hunger Games books you should try the Tomorrow series by John Marsden. I know I should probably post this in the books topic but I want Katniss fans to see it. Anyway, it is an Aussie series that starts with Tomorrow, When The War Began (I love that title) and is set in present-day Australia but with a major,major twist. SPOLIER ALERT -Just imagine what would happen if your country was invaded by a near neighbour...The heroine, Ellie, is a smart female who gives the boys a run for their money. The books are available for Kindle thru Amazon. Highly recommended.

From Amazon
When Ellie and her friends go camping, they have no idea they're leaving their old lives behind forever. Despite a less-than-tragic food shortage and a secret crush or two, everything goes as planned. But a week later, they return home to find their houses empty and their pets starving. Something has gone wrong--horribly wrong. Before long, they realize the country has been invaded, and the entire town has been captured--including their families and all their friends.
Ellie and the other survivors face an impossible decision: They can flee for the mountains or surrender. Or they can fight.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

April 16, 2012 7:18 am  #8

It is an awesome series, but keep in mind it is aimed at teenagers and is written with that level of maturity. Having said that I'm in my thirties and re-read it recently. Still loved it

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

April 16, 2012 9:57 am  #9

Don't worry, Wholocked, Anyone no matter the age, can like anything! =)

DI Lestrade: Sherlock we...
Sherlock Holmes: Oh what now? I'm in shock! Look, I've got a blanket.

November 3, 2012 10:36 pm  #10

I enjoyed The Hunger Games trilogy too. Yes, it had a faint trace of being written for a younger crowd, but was still quite enjoyable. I have little interest in the film, considering the cast, and they're usually never as the good as the books anyway.

I haven't seen Avatar, it just never grabbed my interest.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

Board footera