BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 14, 2012 5:33 am  #1

Two Paddocks website - Benedict's top 10 tunes

This site is from a winery owned by Sam Neill, the New Zealand actor. Obviously Ben must have met up with him or spent some time on the winery during 'Hobbit' filming. Gawd! Talk about a smorgasbord for an old woman like me! Why wasn't I invited???!!!

http://twopaddocks.com/team-tunes.shtml#BenedictCumberbatch

Hmmm, I'd agree with
3. You Can't Always Get What You Want - Rolling Stones
4. Young Americans - David Bowie
5. Clair de Lune -- Claude Debussey
9. Superstition - Stevie Wonder (Thanks to Martin Freeman for properly introducing me to the full brilliance of SW) OMG, how could he NOT have appreciation for Mr Wonder before then!

I have just been introduced to this song and it is interesting so I shall explore it a little further.
6. How to Disappear Completely - Radiohead
Interestingly the song comes with the story of his 'car jacking' episode. Reading his version of that is interesting in itself!

I love all the nicknames they've given Ben in this also. Betterfit CABBAGEPATCH *giggles*

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 14, 2012 10:14 pm  #2

Re: Two Paddocks website - Benedict's top 10 tunes

Two paddocks.com have Ben's top 10  team tunes. I have made a list of them below but if someone more clued up than me can post a link you can read the whole article which is very funny in places. In addition you will realise what an extremely erudite and knowledgeable chap he is. He says the list changes depending on the weather, my tummy, the company I'm keeping and the time of day.
1. Sweet Thing- Van Morrison
2. I am the Resurrection & Fools Gold- The Stone Roses
3. You can't Always Get What you want- The Rolling Stones
4. Young Americans- David Bowie
5. Clair de Lune- Claude Debussy
6. How to Disappear Completely- Radiohead
7. Prelude to Tristan and Isolde- Richard  Wagner
8. Hyperballad- Bjork
9. Superstition- Stevie Wonder
10. We Grew up at Midnight- The Maccabees

Not a bad list for 'an over-privileged white kid'.

Enjoy!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 15, 2012 2:29 am  #3

Ah, of course, He starred with Sam Neil in "To the Ends of the Earth" so there's a connection.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 15, 2012 11:10 am  #4

These two please me so much:
2.  I Am the Resurrection and Fools Gold - Stone Roses
10.We Grew Up At Midnight - The Maccabees

But I like pretty much all of the others as well - he obviously has great taste in music!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 15, 2012 11:40 am  #5

You British have strange music, lol!

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

July 3, 2012 8:52 pm  #6

I found this list a while ago and wanted to post it here right now. But when I searched: Of course it's here already! 
So I activate it again to tell you, that I bought every song at Ama..n and listen to them for a while now.
Can't help the feeling to get to know Ben a bit better while listening to the songs he likes/recommends.....
I don't play any instrument (my husband does), but music was always very important to me, especially in "dark times" of my life. (But also in bright times, of course.  )
F.e. one day I felt that something must be missing, something is wrong..... And I noticed that I used to listen to my favourite music and turned it really loud - and danced through the flat all on my own - ......before hubby and me moved into this house. Whyever I stopped it then. I think I simply forgot.
So I started doing it again - and life is so much better!

But back again to the main reason why I posted:
Can't help the feeling to get to know Ben a bit better while listening to the songs he likes/recommends.....

Last edited by Mattlocked (July 3, 2012 8:53 pm)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

July 3, 2012 9:06 pm  #7

I already liked Ben, I thought he was a great actor and a very nice guy, but the day I read this list and saw the Prelude of Tristan he ended my life. Now that I know the perfect guy exists it's all more difficult

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

July 3, 2012 9:27 pm  #8

For me it was "Clair de Lune" - one of my most favorites of all time.  My mother used to play it on the piano just like this. *sob*. Glad he likes it too.

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

July 3, 2012 9:35 pm  #9

KeepersPrice wrote:

For me it was "Clair de Lune" - one of my most favorites of all time.  My mother used to play it on the piano just like this. *sob*. Glad he likes it too.

Yes, also this. I used to play it years ago. But I think it's more well-known than Tristan, and the fact that he included the Prelude sent shivers through my spine. True story.
And I love Debussy... have you ever heard this?

A little, simple piece, but so beautiful and powerful...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

July 3, 2012 9:54 pm  #10

I love all the songs and artists on this list.Now did Ben pick these or were these picked for him?

Disguise is always a self portrait

July 4, 2012 12:47 am  #11

Irene - Thank you for linking the Debussy piece.  I had not heard "La Fille" before.  It's so beautiful - like a delicate watercolor painting. On my way home from work I listened to "La Mer".  It felt just like I was on the ocean!

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

July 4, 2012 5:57 pm  #12

In Germany I have no permission to watch the vid......... 

SP: I think (hope!) he picked them by himself - as he had a short story for every song...

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

July 4, 2012 6:49 pm  #13

KeepersPrice wrote:

Irene - Thank you for linking the Debussy piece.  I had not heard "La Fille" before.  It's so beautiful - like a delicate watercolor painting. On my way home from work I listened to "La Mer".  It felt just like I was on the ocean!

You're welcome. Debussy is awesome.
And I love "La Mer", specially the first movement. I can't even describe what I feel when I listen to it.

By the way, how do you call in English the "Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune"? "Prelude to the afternoon of a Faun"? It's another one of my favourites

July 4, 2012 8:54 pm  #14

Perhaps 'An Introduction to an Afternoon of Fawning'? Over Benedict I think.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 4, 2012 9:14 pm  #15

Davina wrote:

Perhaps 'An Introduction to an Afternoon of Fawning'? Over Benedict I think.

November 3, 2012 9:02 pm  #16

kazza474 wrote:

You British have strange music, lol!

I love you Brits, but I would have to agree with this. lol!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

November 3, 2012 9:30 pm  #17

Radiohead. He likes Radiohead!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

Board footera