BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 8, 2012 12:39 pm  #1

How will John react when he finds out Sherlock isn't dead?

I'd like to see him punch Sherlock personally....then kiss him. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

February 8, 2012 6:33 pm  #2

Re: How will John react when he finds out Sherlock isn't dead?

He will hit him and than help him up and say u alright than hit him again xD :D x

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you eliminate the impossible,
What every remains,
However improbable,...
Must be the truth !

February 12, 2012 3:50 pm  #3

I'm sure John won't faint like in the original story. Too Victorian a behaviour...

He will be staring (in this case they will be staring both again!), being speechless, then growing angry, screaming at Sherlock "That's NOT ok!", punching him (avoiding his nose and teeth of course!), then locking eyes with him, punching him again, putting the kettle on and making tea.
Hugging? Kissing?
Hmmm....after all John is British. And a soldier. But I'd like him forget about these little facts for a just a second. Or two...

After having had tea in silence together John will say: "Obviously you're not dead. Let's have dinner."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

March 7, 2012 8:11 pm  #4

I was thinking about this again today because last night I ended up doing a really long Roleplay with someone on Omegle and we were acting out the reunion between Sherlock and John...it was really emotional!

I think it's gonna be really heart wrenching viewing...just as difficult to watch as Reichenbach is...because poor John is gonna be so confused...and so many different emotions to play with there - anger, joy, shock, bitterness, disbelief, happiness. It truly is going to be unmissable. I don't know how much of a gap in the story they're gonna have between the jump and Sherlock making a reappearance but in the stories it was something like 3 years right...if they leave it that long, wow so many things will have changed in John's life and it's gonna be a real shock to him to see Sherlock again.

March 9, 2012 3:13 pm  #5

hmm. . . I bet when John see Sherlock after 3 years later, his reaction would be: shock ( he will standing still and stare Sherlock), Angry (obvious because Sherlock play a dirty trick on him), Punch Sherlock with all his might (poor Sherlock, but he deserve it), and in the end he will make a tea for them, and have a chit chat like an old friend reunion. :D

John will ask everything about Moriarty, Sherlock's dirty trick, and everything he missed...

© unreasonablyme

I don't need a superheroes... I need hero just like Holmes. :3

March 9, 2012 3:55 pm  #6

Yeah and then we'll be treated to some cool flashbacks whilst Sherlock explains everything.

March 9, 2012 5:49 pm  #7

I think that John will think that miracles really do happen.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 10, 2012 1:42 pm  #8

I think its going to go something like this:

Well this is a follow on. So Mycroft is at home and he is watching the news about his brother's death. But he can tell that it was faked.
Coincidently John rings up Mycroft who explains how he did it. John then tells Mrs. Hudson about the hoax.
He eventually receives a knock on the door, from his companion. He drags him in by the collar and gives him a punch/strangle. And tries to tell him that it’s not ok to fake a death he then drags him I the lounge through anger and throws him on the sofa. Sherlock then begins to tell him why he did it, and who was with him etc etc. Mrs. Hudson is handing them tea as the flashbacks are cued!
I also believe that Sherlock (and John but he might like the peace and quiet!) will begin to get bored because:

Dead Sherlock + Public knowing about death + Alive Sherlock = No cases/adventures and one bored Sherlock.

Sorry it’s pretty pathetic but it’s all that sprung to mind! I’ve been trying to predict what’s happening, oh but it’s just so hard! I wish they could just let us see it, but they aren’t filming till spring 2013. 

- Y.S.H

Last edited by Young Sherlock Holmes (April 10, 2012 4:46 pm)

DI Lestrade: Sherlock we...
Sherlock Holmes: Oh what now? I'm in shock! Look, I've got a blanket.

April 10, 2012 6:19 pm  #9

Sounds cool to me. Mycroft is clearly in on it. I wonder how Mrs H will react?

April 10, 2012 6:45 pm  #10

This is how I see it...

John will definitely punch him (after probably fainting); I'm sure Mycroft knows, so he won't react (same applies to Molly); Mrs. Hudson will say "woo-hoo" and hug Sherlock and then tell him it's a disgrace to keep people thinking he's dead; Lestrade will fall off his chair with his legs pointing to the ceiling (because he had them on the desk); Sally will roll eyes thinking "here's that freak again"; Anderson will try to hide under his desk; and Irene will text Sherlock "You're not dead? Let's have dinner!"

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

April 10, 2012 7:23 pm  #11

Irene_Adler wrote:

This is how I see it...

John will definitely punch him (after probably fainting); I'm sure Mycroft knows, so he won't react (same applies to Molly); Mrs. Hudson will say "woo-hoo" and hug Sherlock and then tell him it's a disgrace to keep people thinking he's dead; Lestrade will fall off his chair with his legs pointing to the ceiling (because he had them on the desk); Sally will roll eyes thinking "here's that freak again"; Anderson will try to hide under his desk; and Irene will text Sherlock "You're not dead? Let's have dinner!"

That sounds pretty good! and I think Mrs. Hudson will faint and have a panic attack. Something along those lines!

- Y.S.H

April 10, 2012 7:31 pm  #12

Just thinking of this makes me want to cry -- because all the reunion situations I can think of are pretty depressing ones. I mean, of course John will be happy that Sherlock is alive, but it'll have been a long time, possibly three years. I'm sure much will have changed by then. Maybe John will even have already married Mary Morstan (please, God, no -- that is my very worst case scenario), or simply moved on with his life in some other way. And Sherlock will be hoping, of course, that he and John can go back to the way they were before, but John won't be able to do that because everything's changed. Ugh... excuse me while I go weep silently because of my overactive imagination. X(

I really do hope that John is so overjoyed that he can quickly forgive Sherlock for what he did... But it seems like it can't be that simple. It rarely is *sighs*.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DON'T PANIC

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - A.C. Doyle

April 10, 2012 7:48 pm  #13

Really - just read your own signature - DON'T PANIC!! Of course it'll be emotional and heart wrenching but ultimately amazing and uplifting. And things will be "back to normal" within the first 30 minutes of Ep 1, I can almost guarantee it - it's canon! 

April 10, 2012 7:57 pm  #14

Haha, I know, I am obsessing over this way too much. ;P *takes a deep breath* I really DO need to stop panicking. XD
I'm sure you're right, but it's just the thought of what COULD happen that makes me a bit worried. ;( But I will stop worrying now -- I know Moftiss won't let us down, I absolutely trust them. ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DON'T PANIC

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - A.C. Doyle

April 10, 2012 8:08 pm  #15

I just wish they'd hurry up already! =/ maybe a special sneak preview is in order for us! =) I'm obsessing to much! I wish the year 8 exams were about Sherlock Holmes instead on whatever they’ll make us do next month!

April 30, 2012 3:34 pm  #16

I'm sure John won't faint like in the original story. Too Victorian a behaviour...

Interesting observation: I guess fainting is often associated with Victorianism. It happens, though. They could have John getting knocked out cold (maybe even accidentally by Sherlock) upon learning of the news as a "twist" on loss of consciousness. It would bookend his (nearly) getting knocked out upon witnessing Sherlock's death.  Although the concussion helped, he nearly fainted there. Sniff.

I think that by now, so many people expect a "punch" to such a degree that the writers may not have John do it just to zig when everyone expects them to zag.

I don't know how much of a gap in the story they're gonna have between the jump and Sherlock making a reappearance but in the stories it was something like 3 years right...

I hope that it is not this long, even though the books call for it. John was pretty full of rage on Sherlock's behalf when Irene faked her death for a week.  And that was an indirect impact.  How would John forgive 3 years of no contact?

Maybe John will even have already married Mary Morstan (please, God, no -- that is my very worst case scenario), or simply moved on with his life in some other way.

I know: bite your tongue! One difference between the books and the show seems to be that this show has really, really played up how much John has invested his happiness in his professional and personal relationship with Sherlock. John works with him almost exclusively (i.e., his work at the surgery, if he still even works there, is an afterthought), whereas Watson from the books had his own practice.  Plus, Sherlock fulfills John's personal happiness quotient to such a degree that it completely drew John back from implied suicidal thoughts.

John feels that he owes Sherlock "so much". That's powerful stuff.  Yes, they are way, way, way co-dependent, but that dynamic is entertaining as hell to watch. It just seems like they would never get back to that if Sherlock were absent 9+ months or if John had married and started a new life while gone.  But how could he not start a new life, if Sherlock were gone upwards of a year or more?

Interesting to speculate about, regardless.  I personally don't care as much to speculate how Sherlock did what he did: to me, those are just the mechanics to get at the emotions underlying all of this.  So many emotions.  Sigh.

Last edited by LaconicLurker (April 30, 2012 3:40 pm)

April 30, 2012 5:01 pm  #17

John almost fainted in the pool scene just after Sherlock removes the bomb from him, so it doesn't seem to un out of character to have him fainting...or at least being weak at the knees (with shock, not in a johnlock way, lol).

April 30, 2012 6:53 pm  #18

@LaconicLurker: I agree with everything you said, 100%. I honestly could care less about HOW Sherlock survived -- I just want to know what's going to happen when John finds out. :O
I truly hope that they don't make it three years... That's far too long, especially with society today being so much faster paced AND the fact that they were/are so 'co-dependent', as you put it. Also, I feel like it'd take Sherlock a lot less time in modern day to track down all of Moriarty's 'henchmen' than it would in the original story. So in reality, it should probably only be half that time -- maybe a year and a half at most, I'd say. I hope anyways. ;P

DON'T PANIC

May 7, 2012 11:02 pm  #19

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

John almost fainted in the pool scene just after Sherlock removes the bomb from him, so it doesn't seem to un out of character to have him fainting...or at least being weak at the knees (with shock, not in a johnlock way, lol).

Good point about nearly fainting after losing the bomb vest.  He was also kind of staggering backward a little bit in the rooftop scene when Sherlock was dumping all those lies on him.  He looked a little unsteady even before he got flattened by the cyclist.

42_and_221B, good point about society moving a lot faster these days.  I do think that Sherlock should probably not be gone longer than the length of time he and John lived/ worked together (just for symmetry, I suppose).  So yeah, 18 months at the outside seems like plenty long enough.

May 19, 2012 8:31 pm  #20

I would love to see a Moffatt / Gatiss style twist on them getting back together.

John isn't daft, and post Reichenbach he is likely to go over conversations in his mind like the one in TRF which Sherlock referred to as his 'note'. John says "...the first time we met you knew all about my sister." Sherlock's response was that he researched John before they met "Nobody could be that clever". But in SiP, Sherlock's supposed research had not uncovered that John's sibling was female. Surely an indication, once John has time to mull it over that Sherlock was not being entirely upfront in his 'note'. There may be other things that raise his suspicions. Who was behind the phone call which took him on a wild goose chase believing that Mrs Hudson was dying and away from Sherlock's side at a crucial time, not to mention Sherlock's feigned lack of concern at the news. It isn't beyond the bounds of possibility that John could put two ad two together during Sherlock's absence.

Board footera