BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 31, 2012 11:37 am  #1

The fictional view of Scotland Yard

Not sure if this is in the right thread...feel free to move.

New Scotland Yard is being sold by the Met Police. Here is an great article about Scotland Yard's role in the world of fictional detectives both on and off screen. An extra little bous is there is a nice photo of arupert a graves as our favourite copper Lestrade.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20143967

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 31, 2012 11:45 am  #2

Re: The fictional view of Scotland Yard

Very interesting article, Davina, thanks for sharing. It's fascinating how the name stuck and I'm sure it will continue to do so. I don't know if there is any other police force with such a household name.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 31, 2012 2:06 pm  #3

It will be interesting to see who buys it and for what. Maybe the Baker Street Babes can have a new HQ!   

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do 'real' people have, then, in their 'real' lives?

So we go round the sun; if we went round the moon, or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference.

The consolation of imaginary things is not imaginary consolation. -- Roger Scruton

October 31, 2012 6:11 pm  #4

It is going to be VERY expensive. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

November 1, 2012 1:53 am  #5

I'd like to know why it's being sold.  Is it because they need the money?  Or more space?  Or what?

Also, while it's great to picture Rupert Graves in the article, it's not the greatest picture of him, imo.  He looks unhappy--I don't know if it's because of the way Lestrade is described in the canon or if it's because he's losing his division (at least where it's currently located).   

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

November 1, 2012 2:10 am  #6

Just found an answer to my question!

From The New York Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/31/world/europe/britain-austerity-may-force-move-of-london-police.html?ref=todayspaper) :

Britain: Austerity May Force Move of London Police
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: October 30, 2012

London’s police force says it may move from its headquarters at New Scotland Yard to a smaller building as it faces making budget cuts of more than $800 million. New Scotland Yard has been on Victoria Street in London since 1967. Planned staffing cuts will make the massive central London building an expensive luxury.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

November 1, 2012 11:47 am  #7

Davina wrote:

It is going to be VERY expensive. 

Hmmmm...okay then, they could rent a bit of it. Say floor 2, suite 21B. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do 'real' people have, then, in their 'real' lives?

So we go round the sun; if we went round the moon, or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference.

The consolation of imaginary things is not imaginary consolation. -- Roger Scruton

November 1, 2012 6:43 pm  #8

I don't like to see real people losing their jobs, but it would be nice if the staffing cuts included Donovan and Anderson!

Last edited by veecee (November 1, 2012 9:03 pm)

Board footera