BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 17, 2012 3:12 am  #1

Good review & DVD commentary

http://www.avclub.com/articles/a-study-in-pink,46681/

I've stumbled upon this site that really does have a good review of each show.Not only does it give the plot but gives good insight into the machinations of 'Moftiss' and the actors.
This one's a little short but intriguingly good insight.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

February 17, 2012 10:01 am  #2

Re: Good review & DVD commentary

Link to commentary here
http://www.mediafire.com/?42fqwao05ug5ou3

(with Mark Gatiss, Steven Moffat, Sue Vertue)

Transcript of commentary here

http://arianedevere.livejournal.com/7567.html

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 20, 2012 11:00 pm  #3

Thanks for sharing! I enjoyed reading the article.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Moriarty: "How hard do you find it? Having to say 'I don't know' ?"
Sherlock: "I don't know."
Moriarty: "Oh that's clever, that's very clever, awfully clever."

March 21, 2012 4:11 pm  #4

Interesting article. Disagree however that this episode is the weakest of the first batch. Also disagree that the sequence of them running through the streets after the cab just doesn't work...it does!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 22, 2012 1:35 am  #5

I know! The taxi chase is amazing...and I really do love this episode. I suppose the actual crime isn't particularly that thrilling but I love Sherlock and John meeting and how their friendship develops so fast into something special and unique. I just love that final scene when they're walking off to get their Chinese and giggling with each other, it's like yeah you can just tell they're gonna be best buddies for life.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 22, 2012 7:52 am  #6

The crime is really a nod to the canon though.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 25, 2012 7:58 am  #7

Very hard to find a full script for this.

Here's a partial one anyway:
http://bbcsherlock.jp/episodes/series1/a-study-in-pink/asip-transcript-1/

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

March 25, 2012 9:28 am  #8

Awesome, I've been looking all over for the others.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 25, 2012 9:46 am  #9

Yes they are hard to come by.
But searching for them finds me lots of interesting other things.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

April 10, 2012 12:01 am  #10

Another overview of the DVD commentary from Ariane DeVere on 'A Study in Pink' for those who wish to see the ongoings behind the camera and don't yet have access to the DVD's themselves.

It takes about the origins of the show and how it was crafted into being what it is now. A few nice pieces of trivia too.

Thanks again to Ariane for writing this up!

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

April 10, 2012 11:49 am  #11

Thanks for the link m0r! I've now friended Ariane on LJ. :D
Do you have an account there by any chance?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 10, 2012 12:05 pm  #12

I do it's here but I never post anything to it. I like to read other people's works though.

-m0r

April 10, 2012 1:27 pm  #13

Cool. Can I friend you when I finish posting my theory in progress there? Your insights are always appreciated. :D

April 10, 2012 1:40 pm  #14

Sure thing Shenanigans! I don't check it very often so you may have to prompt me here too though

-m0r

April 10, 2012 1:50 pm  #15

thanks a lot m0r :D

© unreasonablyme

I don't need a superheroes... I need hero just like Holmes. :3

May 30, 2012 3:00 am  #16

the only thing I've found are subtitles. those don't show who said what.    However over on www.tv.com they have a list of shows,  and if you go to the quotes section,  you will   find more quotes,  and who said what.   you might not find all of them,  but you'll  find most of them.

I've seen some sherlock quotes over there.

Last edited by sherlockskitty (May 30, 2012 3:01 am)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

May 30, 2012 10:03 am  #17

Found a full script here:

http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_9a5eeb6a0100xsjx.html

They also have a script for The Great Game:

http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_9a5eeb6a0100xu05.html

June 14, 2012 12:19 am  #18

Thank you for sharing! I enjoyed reading through it. After I finished, I rewatched the episode

October 5, 2012 7:13 pm  #19

I personally think that as well as everybody needing to see the Pilot, the commentaries are invaluable.
It's a shame we didn't get one for Reichenbach and I hope we get one for ' The Empty House ' episode.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 24, 2015 11:49 am  #20

I listened to the commentary on A Study in Scarlet on the DVD again today. I was hoping to find a transcript of it, did a search of the forum and followed the links, so thanks to those who posted them. It's a shame it's not an actual word-for-word transcript, but I'm sure the transcribers did their best. The thing about listening to commentaries like this - I always feel like there is so much more they could have said if they had more time. There were a couple of times when Mark Gatiss (or Stephen or Sue) wanted to say something and couldn't get a word in with the other two talking, and then the moment passes and they never get to say it, it always leaves me wondering what they would have said... I just can't get enough of Sherlock and all things related to it

Last edited by ukaunz (March 24, 2015 11:49 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Board footera