BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 8, 2012 12:40 pm  #1

Go on then...what are your theories?

We've probably heard them all before but let's go through them again anyway, come on...you know you want to!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

February 9, 2012 5:35 am  #2

Re: Go on then...what are your theories?

Well I have posted this a few times on different sites, so here I go again, lol.
(I really must just save a copy next time!)

First up we need to know what Sherlock did that he doesn't do normally.
For me, this was right from the starting scenes. Remember this line from 'the Great Game' : "Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them".
In the start of Reichenbach what do we have? Sherlock allowing himself to be portrayed as a hero. Usually, Sherlock solves cases and allows Lestrade or someone else take the 'glory' as he isn't interested in that. It's a big part of him; he tried hiding under a hat remember? So why change that now? It MUST be for a reason.
The reason? We already saw at the end of "Baskerville" that Mycroft had been grilling Moriarty for some reason but eventually let him go.
Let's look at Moriarty for a second. He kills people while leaving clues everywhere, involved in all sorts of criminal activity. He likes the attention, thrives on it. You could easily extend those observations to say he is an egomaniac. And he's a serious problem to law & order. So how do we get rid of a problem like that to restore some law in the land? Flush him out of hiding for a start.
So what would annoy him more than anything? His arch enemy getting all the attention perhaps?
Sherlock becoming a hero and being splashed across the media would have irked Moriarty to no end. (I don't think Sherlock was too thrilled with it either, but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do!)
So we see Sherlock accepting awards etc, we can see that he hates it. There were 3 major cases that we saw; so in retaliation Moriarty planned 3 crimes of  mega proportion! All at the same time, just to 'out do' Sherlock.

So I do believe that is the whole underlying theme to this show. Knowing that shows many things into a different light.
I am not saying Sherlock planned the court case & its outcome. I think he knew that Moriarty was 'slimy' enough to get off lightly or completely. During their cup of (watery)tea at 221B, Moriarty revels in the chat about how he was 'advertising' (as Sherlock put it) it was feeding his ego immensely. Just as Sherlock wanted it to.
I don't believe Sherlock forecast the kidnapping, but he knew something would happen soon afterwards. Moriarty was growing bolder & becoming a train wreck just waiting to happen.
(This is a long post, I will do a separate one regarding the actual 'fall')

Last edited by kazza474 (February 22, 2012 8:53 am)

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

February 9, 2012 6:06 am  #3

"The Fall"
There are so many clues to so many different things, Moffat & Gatiss must be Red Herring fisherman!
Sifting through it all, I finally have settled (for now, lol) on this one.

Sherlock arranged for Molly to get the bits & pieces together, such as blood and a heap of the Homeless Network and a few other things needed.
During the evening/early morning 2 buses arrived at the hospital. Now this isn't a busy street so why 2 buses at the same time? Oddly, 2 buses were still there later when Sherlock & Moriarty first look over the side of the building. These buses could hold quite a few people (homeless ones) and sit waiting for when they get a signal.
From above we can see a large rectangle marked out on the pavement. Beside the bus shelter we see 'something' that is darker in colour than the pavement. We also see those 2 buses.
What I believe is beside the bus shelter (or maybe it's not) and was used is a 'jump blanket' or net, stretched across the rectangle & held by the homeless network people. Once they are off the buses, the buses leave & a laundry/garbage truck pulls up. They grab the blanket/net and take position to catch Sherlock, the blanket is thrown in the truck & it takes off. Sherlock assumes his position & is quickly 'made up' to look dead.

Now back 'up top' Sherlock first 'prepares to jump' and asks for privacy, obviously to get everyone to get into position. But he still has the problem of Moriarty being there. He can't jump yet. He knows from his chat with Moriarty that the guy is really going off the deep end, he just needs a little push. He has already 'fed' his ego with pretending to think the finger tapping was some great code; acting surprised when it's revealed it's not and stumbling through his words to give the notion that he is scared.
Sherlock's mission is to get this ego so inflated that it will explode all by itself. That's the thing about egos and especially insane ones, they eventually self destruct. This one is a little stubborn. Eventually he gets what he plans on though but at what cost? His friends? So he HAS to complete the 'fall'.

No doubt Mycroft or Molly could have been arranged to get rid of Moriarty's body soon afterwards.

There's are a lot of 'but what about ' questions and before I get booted out of here for using up the space, I will leave them but will answer any questions anyone has.
Just think, in a year from now I will read this and say " geez I am stupid!"

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

February 9, 2012 8:28 am  #4

Wow, I actually quite like that theory - there's a lot of stuff there that isn't in anyone else's and it's a lot more complex than mine, lol...i like the fact that Sherlock was engaging and "playing" Moriarty right from the beginning and although he didn't know exactly how things would play out, he knew he had to draw out Moriarty's ego to get him to self destruct...kind of clever...

But there were a few things that Sherlock seemed genuinely surprised about...or do you think he was just acting? Such as when Moriarty told him about the assasins going to kill all his friends, and when Moriarty shot himself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 9, 2012 9:46 am  #5

There r 3 chalk lines on the floor and 2 people sitting on benches that arnt there after ...... Homeless net work and a soft landing maybe?!!! Xx

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you eliminate the impossible,
What every remains,
However improbable,...
Must be the truth !

February 9, 2012 10:07 am  #6

Well, I didn't write the script nor do I really know much about how the 'Moftiss' mind works so it's all to do with what I have heard them say about recreating these characters & stories and their aim to be 'true to the canon'. Some theories are wild, improbable but usually spring from Sci Fi stuff people have seen. It's like everyone is trying to take plots from all the popular shows these days & use them to explain things. I'm immune to a lot of that because I don't watch much TV at all, let alone see movies. Frankly a lot of them bore me. I don't think these guys are lazy writers at all, look at what they have dished up thus far so I doubt that they will be pulling inspiration from other shows. They're original, if only in twisting meanings at times.
Yes, the assassins. That part 'troubles' me still.  I've made a few observations, I just need to pick out the red herrings and then draw a line connecting all the others.
- IOU features a lot. Yes I know Moriarty said it to Sherlock but I think it may have a 'deeper' reason for popping up all the time.
- It's on the wall across from 221B; it's on the windows of the building opposite Lestrade's office; it's on the apple. The first 2 correspond to the area where 2 of the 3 friends are being targeted by the assassins. Does that mean anything or just coincidence?
- Moriarty repeats IOU many times. I don't know yet, maybe just for dramatic effect.

Now obviously John's assassin would see the fall straight away, but how did word get to the other 2? Would John be killed and then only after reports started coming in would the other 2 take action? It's puzzling how it was going to work.
Did Sherlock know? I am not sure how he could have, however I do find it odd that he named those 3 people. Let's face it , he only just learned Lestrade's first name 3 months ago! Why wouldn't he have included Molly or even Stamford or Mycroft? Lestrade was the 'odd man out' in who he said. And how did Moriarty know those were the 3 he would say, to have assassins trained on them already? I honestly think that part may just be 'luck'; not sure.
(geez I can't know everything; this time next year I will know I know nothing!)

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

February 12, 2012 11:50 am  #7

Odd question here, as I already believe 'being a hero' is what Sherlock did that he normally doesn't.
Now this may take some thinking/watching and I don't really know why or what it means, but does anyone remember Sherlock ever shaking hands with anyone?
He didn't when accepting the gifts at the start of this episode, and I recall he didn't a few other times previously (I thought "Geez he's an arrogant sod" at the time) but he did with Moriarty at the end.
I don't know if it's anything nor can I recall anyone in the show mentioning it, but it bugs me for some reason.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

February 13, 2012 5:17 pm  #8

I remember Sherlock shaking hands with Conny Prince's brother. And with Mrs Monkford.

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

February 13, 2012 7:07 pm  #9

and with Sebastian of course.

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

February 14, 2012 3:37 am  #10

ok thanks. I don't know where I was going with that anyway,lol.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

February 17, 2012 3:48 pm  #11

Wrote this late last night on my Blackberry Memo Pad whilst watching Reichenbach on my iPod in bed, lol:

If Sherlock knew enough to prepare for his jump, then he must have known that Moriarty wanted him to kill himself. But then he also would have known that Moriarty must have had some kind of ammunition or incentive to force Sherlock to jump. With the assassins living in Baker Street he would have worked out about their involvement, and as he reeled off the list of names without much hesitation he had obviously previously worked out who the intended targets were - Lestrade sticks out as being the odd one out, Sherlock would have chose Molly ordinarily but Jim doesn't know how close he is to Molly so chose Lestrade.

SO, if Sherlock knew about the assassins, knew how the targets were and how Moriarty was going to use that to force him to jump, then he would also have worked out that Moriarty could call them off if he wanted to. He laughed the first time he stood on the edge because he knew he'd already beaten Moriarty.

He did seem genuinely surprised that the computer code wasn't real, so I think Jim had everyone fooled on that aspect. But he must also have entertained the possibility that Jim might kill himself or fake his own death to force Sherlock to jump. He seemed surprised and shocked when Jim shot himself but then I also think Sherlock beleived he was being watched and listened to, which is why he made that phone call to John and denounced himself as a fake, an unneccesary aspect - if he believed he was truly alone on that rooftop he could have just told John what was happening and then John could have pretended he thought Sherlock was dead and been "in on it" like Molly obviously is. Maybe all the surprise and emotion etc he showed up on that rooftop was all staged for Moriarty and the hidden cameras/mics.

I also think Sherlock set up the Mrs Hudson is dying phone call to get John away from the hospital so he could get up on the rooftop with Jim. That's why he didn't show any emotion - he knew Mrs Hudson was fine.

Phew...it all sounded good last night anyway!

February 17, 2012 4:02 pm  #12

I believe the thing about mrs. Hudson bit because he would usally have rushed to his landlady because he liked her. Also sherlock knew what was going on so why act stupd?!? In most cases sherlock would have boasted that he knew what was going to happen...... Maybe that's what he did that was odd

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What every remains,
However improbable,...
Must be the truth !

February 17, 2012 11:03 pm  #13

John was sleeping prior to the phone call about Mrs Hudson. That gave Sherlock plenty of time to text someone to make that call.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

February 18, 2012 7:27 am  #14

With out anybody noticing

What every remains,
However improbable,...
Must be the truth !

February 19, 2012 9:44 am  #15

I found this quote from Steven Moffat just now, it's from January.

Steven Moffat, who wrote the series with Mark Gatiss and Steve Thompson, has said all the clues pointing to how Sherlock survived were in the episode. ‘It’s all set up,’ he said.
In an interview yesterday, he teased fans further by saying: ‘There is a clue everybody’s missed. So many people theorising about Sherlock’s death online – and they missed it!
‘We’ve worked out how Sherlock survives and actually shot part of what really happened. It all makes sense.’

That makes me happy, as it's the premise that I have been working on all along, everything we need to know is in THAT episode.
We must learn to observe better to get our answers.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

February 19, 2012 11:05 am  #16

Damn, I bet Sherlock would have been able to work it out immediately!

February 19, 2012 1:21 pm  #17

Something that does occur to me as odd is that Sherlock did not go to the court to hear the verdict. He does not seem surprised when John calls him to tell him that he has been found not guilty. The fact that absolutely no defence evidence was given is also odd. Earlier Sherlock says to John that Moriarty is in prison- after the Tower of London, Bank of England and Pentonville Prison incidents- precisely because that is what he wants. Equally he must be aware that the trial is also what Moriarty wants.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 19, 2012 1:25 pm  #18

Maybe Sherlock was banned from the court for misbehaving? After all he had been arrested for some reason.

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

February 19, 2012 1:26 pm  #19

Think like Sherlock, what possible reason would he want to go & sit in that courtroom? He'd be bored, probably mouth off again and get thrown in the lock up !

But really, in Sherlock's eyes, it would serve no useful purpose to sit & watch the verdict.

As for him knowing Moriarty wanted a trial, of course. Moriarty is a criminal mastermind, did that arrest look like a criminal mastermind being foiled?

Remember, think like Sherlock.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

February 19, 2012 1:29 pm  #20

Sherlock got thrown out of court because he opened his mouth and said some more smart things that annoyed the judge...presumably when he was released he went straight home to chill on the sofa.

Remember that scene where the judge was speaking in the court and Sherlock was speaking on the sofa at home at the same time, but they were both saying the same things. That's no coincidence, that's because Sherlock knew what was going on in court even though he wasn't there, and why he wasn't surprised when John told him the verdict. He had already guessed that Moriarty would be let off.

Board footera